Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

I didn't really know where to put this.
It isn't a 'for sale' thread, but more of a research thing.

I'm a leatherworker.
I don't do mass produced, machine sewn items, garments or footwear.
I make high-quality, hand stitched items such as belts, holster rigs, wallets, cases and pouches, historical re-enactment items, Western and Frontier items, props for TV and film, guitar straps, etc.

I use only the very best British materials from small family businesses. All the design, pattern making, prototyping, cutting, stitching and finishing is done by hand, by me.

Being a bass player myself, I want to design and make the 'ideal' bass guitar strap.
I wanted to hear from you guys about what it should and shouldn't be.

What kind of features, length, width, thickness, hardware (if any), should it have?
Is there something other makers have missed?

All input welcome.

Karl

The main thing I look for is a non slip backing. I have leather straps with a grippy suede backing and they stay put when I let go of the bass, whereas the ones with a smooth leather or fabric backing slip and slide around, which is especially a nightmare if the bass is top heavy and prone to a bit of neck dive.

The best strap (for me) so far has been a leather job from Minotaur. It's this one:

[url="http://www.minotaur.gr/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/70"]http://www.minotaur..../products_id/70[/url]

'Deluxe used-look leather padded strap - sewn edges, adjustable to 150cm, 6mm shoulder pad. Width 10.5cm'.

It's got reinforced strap holes, which is essential imho. Mine is actually 11cm at its widest point, and I wouldn't want to use one narrower. Very comfortable, but padding could be a little thicker. Maybe 10mm?
I'd be interested to see what you come up with. :)

Edited by discreet

Thanks very much for the input, I appreciate it.

I think strap attachment point reinfocrment is a good idea.

For me, a suede lining (backing) is always essential for a non slip strap, especially since basses are generally much heavier and more prone to diving than guitars.
I do line the straps on my shoulder bags, mostly to have them stay put and not slip around.

If the strap is properly contoured, and not a straight and parallel strip of leather, you shouldn't need any padding if the leather is soft and suede lined.
Total thickness of the strap and liner around 4mm.
If the strap is 100mm or wider, the soft leather will spread the weight.

The key thing here is contouring. Parallel straps dig in on one side on the downhill edge.
People tell me my shoulder bags are the most confortable ever, because of the contoured strap. It fits the body curves.

I'll make a prototype bass strap :)

What length range, minimum to maxiumum lengths?

Karl

I still think there's room out there for a contoured strap. I've never seen one yet.
No one is contouring them, they're all straight!

That Richter price would be fine for a custom made hand-stitched strap. But it seems kinda steep for a machine sewn, mass produced item.
It just looks like the standard 'Cobra hood' shaped guitar strap, just bigger.....

Nothing much new in design.

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407501762' post='2521206']
What length range, minimum to maximum lengths?
[/quote]

I'd say 100 - 150cm or thereabouts.
Edit: Adjustable between the two, obviously.

Though I think there could also be a market for custom lengths for when people are quite sure about their strap length and use no other.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407501762' post='2521206']
What length range, minimum to maxiumum lengths?
[/quote]

I use the minotaur ones too (classic bass in black and one in brown) and would be very interested in trying out a contoured one from you, I'd also agree with discreet on the length adjustability (100-150cm) :)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407504026' post='2521245']
Any advance on lengths or is 100cm to 150cm the ideal range?
[/quote]

you could do the 100-150cm as the standard offering but also potentially offer one in 70-100cm for those who like to pick their nose with their bass?

if you need any guinea pigs for your straps I'm sure discreet and I could happily road test one each ;)

another really really useful touch would be to have an option to make the strapbutton holes big enough to install schaller straplocking ends without havng to cut into the reinforcement!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407505168' post='2521272']
SQUEEEE!! SQUEEEE!! SQUEEEE!!!
[/quote]

hhmmm, that now reads a bit like an animal cruelty offer from Louisiana (squeeee like a guinea piggy boi)...I'm sure they won't be made from actual guinea pig leather :unsure: