Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409134456' post='2536601']
[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/15028855806/"][/url]
First impressions are that it:
feels amazing, really supple leather and there's a lot of leather here!
looks amazing, superb stitching, cutting, trimming, finishing.
and smells awesome too! I love the smell of fresh leather in the mornings ;)

This is a serious quality strap! I'm really looking forward to trying it (I suspect my wife isn't though as they're not cheap but it looks freakin' awesome!)
[/quote]

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1409140536' post='2536686']
Can we see a pic of it being worn please? :)
[/quote]

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1409171408' post='2537165']
+1.
[/quote]

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1409212063' post='2537424']
If possible, I'd like to keep this thread on topic for the strap discussion and feedback.
[/quote]

My feedback from wearing it (with J Bass) yesterday evening is as follows...

feels like you're wearing a saddlery, looks like you're wearing a baldric (I kept wondering where I'd left my broadsword ;) ) it IS a lot of lovely leather!
smells awesome,

really securely fits onto the standard fender strap buttons, I didn't feel at all nervous of it while I was swingin my J about, I usually have schaller straplocks for peace of mind but forewent that last night and didn't notice. The thickness of the leather lends itself really well to gripping the strapbuttons :)

the grippy suede back stays exactly where you put it, excellent for curing neck dive I'd imagine. I've not had suede backed straps in ages so it took a little while to get it settled comfortably without rumpling my tshirt underneath but once settled it was great.

didn't try to adjust the industrial snap-pops to alter the length so can't comment on them.

it did feel hugely wide, a little too wide for me as it gave a slight 'kenny everett' shoulder where it overhung. This may be down to it not being made for me (being to fit Karl's shoulders)? Consequently I think I missed out on some of the 'cadillac of straps' comfort benefits but it was comfy to wear.

My shoulder is a bit on the tender side at the minute as are the muscles in my neck so I was doubly curious to test the comfort levels.
The lack of padding went entirely unnoticed as the width of the strap more than compensated for that, it was at least as comfortable as my usual minotaur strap and I suspect it would have been even more so if it was made to my dimensions!

Possible improvement...would it be worth obtaining the measurement between the customer's neck and edge of shoulder in order to maximise contact area without having a 'kenny everett' shoulder overhang?

Some pics as requested:

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/15038085436/"][/url]

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/14874426690/"][/url]

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/15058067791/"][/url]

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/14874549067/"][/url]

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/14874369619/"][/url]

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/14874433240/"][/url]

...and a link to a flickr set with a few more in
[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_dye/sets/72157646500766337/"]https://www.flickr.c...57646500766337/[/url]

Edited by andydye

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1409218041' post='2537537']
Thanks for the thorough evaluation and pics.

From the photos it looks like you are not getting the full benefit of strap contact on your back. Do you think that this is just because it's too wide for you, or could the shape of the strap be tweaked to ensure better contact?
[/quote]

No prob matey, that's why we're passing it round isn't it :)

I'd agree on the lack of contact across the back, I wonder whether the wider-shoulder-bit should be more contained in just the shoulder area and the length across the mid-lower back could then be reduced to continue the same width as the end nearest the bass as this would help that section to bend in to fit the shape of your back?

maybe a tweak in the curve of it too, dunno...I think it'll depend on the shape of the customer to a degree? Karl??

Edited by andydye

Thanks for the pics and inupt Andy.

I made the basic strap shape to fit an average body. I'm what I consider average: I am 5' 10" tall and weigh 13 stone. I'm not huge.
I am probably a little larger than Andy.

It contacts me very well all around.

I can adjust the pattern to make the strap narrower at the shoulder, no problem. It could come down by an inch without affecting comfort.
I can also narrow the area at the lower end of the strap, no problem.

It should be said at this point, that although the straps will be made to measure for each client, they cannot be patterned entirely for an individual. That would be more work than the job is worth, to be honest.

So the shape can't 'be tweaked' for every single client, no.

I can of course make a custom strap to fit an individual, but it would be priced accordingly.

I would like to see what the other players on the list make of it.

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1409218718' post='2537553']
Thanks for the pics and inupt Andy.

I made the basic strap shape to fit an average body. I'm what I consider average: I am 5' 10" tall and weigh 13 stone. I'm not huge.
I am probably a little larger than Andy.

It contacts me very well all around.

I would like to see what the other players on the list make of it.
[/quote]

No prob matey, it's the whole point behind sending it round the interested masses isn't it, gauging folk's opinion of it in use. Excellent idea and will hopefully make for a better 'end product' and also a good initial client list ;)

Thanks for the pics andydye - nice Jazz BTW.

The strap is a beast! - definitely keen to see how it fits me.

Everyones body is different - and I'd imagine the extra width exaggerates any small mismatch in curve with the wearers body.
Hopefully a few small tweaks will have it fitting 95% of the market - and 75% as is!
We'll have to see.

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1409223050' post='2537632']
Thanks for the pics andydye - nice Jazz BTW.

The strap is a beast! - definitely keen to see how it fits me.

Everyones body is different - and I'd imagine the extra width exaggerates any small mismatch in curve with the wearers body.
Hopefully a few small tweaks will have it fitting 95% of the market - and 75% as is!
We'll have to see.
[/quote]

No prob matey, my wife had plenty of giggles takin the pics! purdy J ain't it, I might have preferred a rosewood board but this one'll do for the 'I fancied a j for a bit' thing :)

I suspect you're right about the width and body difderences etc...it'll be very intereasting to see how the others on the list get on with it. It's headin out to walbassist today so should be with him tomorrow :)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1409223480' post='2537636']
No prob matey, my wife had plenty of giggles takin the pics! purdy J ain't it, I might have preferred a rosewood board but this one'll do for the 'I fancied a j for a bit' thing :)

I suspect you're right about the width and body difderences etc...it'll be very intereasting to see how the others on the list get on with it. It's headin out to walbassist today so should be with him tomorrow :)
[/quote]

Ha! I got a MIM Jazz in a trade a while back - would have loved a maple board, got rosewood!
It plays well so I can't complain.

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1409225773' post='2537678']
Just so we have a frame of reference,
The strap doesn't overhang my shoulder at all.

Be interesting to see how it fits you other guys :)

Karl

Karl
[/quote]

Yes - It'll be good info, should indicate if a particular frame size has issues with the strap (I'm not huge myself!). I might end up with a slightly narrower custom strap if the 5" width is too much!

Apologies for joining in this discussion rather on the late side
I hadn't seen the thread before

Obviously, without actually trying the strap out,
it's difficult to comment on comfort etc

But it does look a tad on the wide side for my taste...
I might get paranoid about slippage (even if none actually happens) with that much of the strap overhanging,
or poking slightly upwards.....

The important things for me, as others have said, are;

- your strap design does have suede backing - to prevent slippage
- the leather is soft (I tried a few with firmer leather, and the softest won my vote recently - it just felt more comfortable,
and wasn't the most expensive in the shop - by some way)

- no added pads - these can be prone to slippage in my experience...

I've used other materials in previous years, but some of the basses I own now are heavier
and my shoulder seems to be more "sensitive" or easily tires, after prolonged playing

I find I can't use nylon type straps on some guitars
and am currently shopping for another strap or 2
I bought one a few months back, because it was the softest, most comfortable in the shop
I cut the shop label off it, and I'm now looking for another - but can't find one!

Good luck with your sales etc

Thanks for that.

I think I've already said a few times that the width can be adjusted in the pattern, if enough people would prefer it narrower.
It's not a deal breaker.

It was designed to be as comfortable as possible, so I started out as wide as possible.

For the record, there's now way this strap will slip.

Karl

Yes, I'm sure it is
But I think I might be put off, or at least mildly distracted

I do like the whole width of the strap to sit snug on my shoulder
- it's probably an OCD thing mind you

Apologies (in that I haven't read every post) but what are you charging for these straps?
I'd be interested anyway - particularly in a slightly narrower version :)

Marc,

I think we're going around in circles.

The point of the exercise is to get the strap out there to people to try.
A luxury you'd bever have with another maker.

There will be tweaks and changes, for certain.

The straps are £140.00 each, posted.

If you do go back and read the thread, you'll see why :)

Karl

You're right Karl Derrick - the T&E prototype is a rare thing outside of shopping for big draw endorsers with music gear. I'm no big draw endorser so I guess I don't really know.

Quick question - judging by the pics (and the description of all who've wore it) the brown stained leather is top quality, will the black leather be similar in all but colour? eg. thickness etc. - and will this be a custom option? I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if the width or fixings are one off, but I would be keen to keep it economic (as few custom options as I need - making it easier for you to make, thus able to keep cost below £200!)

I guess I make a choice as to what I want different (if anything bar length) when I receive the testing and evaluation model. The rich brown is growing on me :gas:.
Even if I hate the curved strap (nothing's impossible) I might not be able to resist a custom straight one!