Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1409242842' post='2537920']
The leather is the very best there is.
I make a point of using the best quality material, produced by small family run businesses.

The black is the very same leather, identical but for the colour, yes.

I'm always available for custom work, and to talk about custom work :)

Karl
[/quote]

Great! I'll just wait till I have a decision to make - I'll probably have a good few questions then - like can I get white thread on the black leather? or can I get chrome or black snap fasteners of a similar strength (or do you need to buy them in boxes of 50,000)? etc. etc.

I guess I'll just keep an eye on this thread in the meantime.

I can answer some of this right now.

You can have white thread on black leather if you wish.
It's way too contrasty for me. The stitching seems to 'shout' against the black.

When working with lighter threads on darker leathers, I use dark cream coloured threads. Still light against the dark, but a little more gentle on the eyes :)

Short answer on the snaps is that they NATO spec and I order them specially in lots of a thousand at a time. I don't stock any other colour, as they go with all my main colours of leather, as they are are black/dark brown over brass.

The black can be sanded and polished off to reveal brass, but I don't carry chrome in the NATO. I can get them, but I have to order a thousand.
There are options in other fasteners.....

The lining suede will be dark chocolate brown, as on the proto.

Karl

So, here's my thoughts....

Beautifully made from top quality, soft leather. Clearly a high quality, hand-made product.

It was perfect over the shoulder and made my already lightweight basses feel like they weren't there. I would imagine for heavy basses it would be terrific.

I agree that it's too wide though. I'd slim it a touch on the neck side, and quite a lot on the other, as there's a big gap between the outer side of the strap and your back as it runs across the back.

Thanks for letting us test the strap, Karl, and I'd be tempted by a couple of simple single strips of leather cut to my chosen length.

In the post to ead today, 1st class recorded.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

Thanks very much for the pics and input. Much appreciated.

There seems to be a clearer picture emerging of what and where the tweaks need to be.

1. One inch narrower at the shoulder.
2. Scoop out a little at the inside at the neck, possibly.
3. Narrow the strap down as we head down the back, to take out the slack.

Karl

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1409405485' post='2539405']
Gareth,

Thanks very much for the pics and input. Much appreciated.

There seems to be a clearer picture emerging of what and where the tweaks need to be.

1. One inch narrower at the shoulder.
2. Scoop out a little at the inside at the neck, possibly.
3. Narrow the strap down as we head down the back, to take out the slack.

Karl
[/quote]

My pleasure Karl, and thanks again for letting us test it.

I agree those changes would be the ones needed.

I think it's the best way to design something.

It's not my fault you guys are weird shapes....

:)

On a serious note, individual opinions will become consensus as more and more players try out the strap.
I can already see where we're heading.

This is good :)

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

Well the beastie has landed. Briefly unpacked and tried on then enlisted Mrs ead as photographer (fee still under negotiation, but looking likely to be at least one large gin & tonic).

First impressions are a lovely feel to both the leather and the suede. I had to adjust for length and the poppers seem to work well, for those who have not seen the strap this trial one has three poppers engaged at any one time (presumably unless you go to extremes). Feels safe. Definitely very comfortable.

The heaviest bass I own is the Sei Flamboyant 5er at a little under 8 1/2 lbs - so not very heavy really. It has the strap button behind the upper horn of the bass which works well enough with the strap set for more normal buttons, but having tried the new strap without the twist my next job is reversing the straplocks on that end of the Levy's strap!.

I should say for the purposes of fair comparison I am around 6'3" and am reasonable broad in the shoulder from 30 years of rugby. Therefore the fit around the neck area felt ok. Being picky I could maybe loose 1cm or so in width, maybe a bit more. There is the same gap where some contact is lost across my back. I can only imagine how nice it would be with 100% contact and load bearing.

For comparion I took a couple of pics of my Levy's strap which is the current favourite here in ead towers.

[attachment=170661:IMG_3838.JPG] [attachment=170662:IMG_3840.JPG] [attachment=170663:IMG_3841.JPG] [attachment=170664:IMG_3842.JPG]

[attachment=170665:IMG_3843.JPG] [attachment=170666:IMG_3844.JPG] [attachment=170667:IMG_3845.JPG] [attachment=170668:IMG_3847.JPG]

I am now going to have a good practice to check for slippage etc and will report back later on as to how it all went plus any final thoughts.

Edit. Don't know why the orientation of the images is weird, they are fine on the laptop.

Edited by ead

OK, I've now been playing with the strap for a few hours using a few different basses. There is no doubt in my mind that with a few minor tweaks the strap will be as advertised. I think that having now had it on my shoulder for a while the original estimate of 1" off the width over the shoulder is spot on plus the fix to ensure full contact across the back. I can definitely confirm that there was no slippage at all.

Quality of maufacture is excellent and I'll say right now that I'll be on the client list when the design is finalised. Great work Karl.

Next question; with all that lovely expanse of leather can things be done with it Maybe embossing with custom designs or something more adventurous...

Edited by ead

Thanks very much for the addiitonal input.

The required tweaks are becoming clearer with each player's comments.

Yes, there's a lot of real estate to decorate, should you wish to :)
I won't offer any kind of embellishment as standard, as I think the leather itself looks very nice.

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1409605769' post='2541536']
Thanks very much for the addiitonal input.

The required tweaks are becoming clearer with each player's comments.

Yes, there's a lot of real estate to decorate, should you wish to :)
I won't offer any kind of embellishment as standard, as I think the leather itself looks very nice.

Karl
[/quote]

The leather is pretty...

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1409607072' post='2541561']
I'd like to have another 24 hours with it for some further testing & experimentation and then I'll get it in the post over to Ireland on Wednesday.
[/quote]

Yay! I am excited. I'll Have to find a cameraman, make-up, wardrobe, lights, choreographer, balloon animal trainer, stunt double, etc. :blink:
Well I guess I'll see what I can do. I'm gonna try and do some pics at least. They help add context to the feedback, and this has been a pleasant way to get a bunch of feedback on what is a promising design. Hopefully I can have this trialed, get my thoughts up here, and posted on to Xzodar shortly (before the weekend Ideally). With crossing the Irish sea & back there may be a day or more of delays unfortunately. :(

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1409834942' post='2543773']
On it's way to Ireland (posted yesterday) so hopefully landing imminently...
[/quote]

I'll keep an eye out!

EDIT/UPDATE: Sorry about the delay. I'll try to post it to xzodar the evening I get it to cut delays to a minimum. Thanks for your patience. :)

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1410079389' post='2545831']
Any sign of the wayward strap yet?

Karl
[/quote]

Sorry, none. I'm expecting it tomorrow (Monday) morning.
I'll turn it over to xzodar ASAP to keep this delay to a minimum.

EDIT: Come on........ :blink:

Bingo!

[attachment=171198:P1000446_ii.JPG]

Edited by PlungerModerno

OK happy campers!

Here's my first impressions:

Very nice piece of leather! Still has that quality saddle scent. The leather is pliable and has a very slight give that fits to the body beautifully. The suede backing is perfect! I like the softness and grippyness. Superb stitching/fitting etc. as good as I have seen.

The strap doesn't really fit me - or at least the way I like to wear a bass.

[attachment=171199:P1000449_ii.JPG]

[attachment=171200:P1000451_ii.JPG]

Like the other testers it seems a tad wide for me at the back - and for how I like to hold the neck (up to 45 degrees!) it gets wide too late from the front button hole for me. Specifically it reaches it's full width 30 - 40 cm from the front strap hole, I'd really opt for about 20 -30 cm or thereabouts for optimum comfort. This is probably due to my pretty modest upper body size.

All in all I am pleasantly impressed. I'll wear it some more, and try to get it posted on before close of business today! Will also do a more careful assessment of it's fit.

Edited by PlungerModerno