Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1410176481' post='2546752']
Thanks very much for that.

One of the crucial measurements when the straps are made for each client, is the distance from the strap button to the top of the shoulder.

This will ensure your strap fits properly.

Karl
[/quote]

Great stuff. I'll have a play with the length adjustments (those clasps are heavy duty). When I put it to max length, while way lower than I'd typically hang the bass - the wide part of the strap was over my shoulder - and that is both comfy (like my foam and elastic strap) and fairly solid (unlike the spongey elasticated strap).

EDIT: OK it's on it's way back to the UK.

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1410633258' post='2551511']

Tried adjusting the truss ?
[/quote]
Probably best for me to not comment again, I sense a lack of humour in Karl's reply so I shall leave the words custom leather strap on for you to enjoy :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Right, my update. I was able to get a good hour of trying the strap out and comparing it to my existing strap before managing to catch the post to get it to Edster.

I'll echo the other comments regarding the quality and feel of the leather, it's really nice looking and feeling. I like the adjustment method using the press studs and for me with the adjustment set at its shortest length the overall strap length was perfect. The added bonus of easily being able to attach a wireless pouch at this point was good. (Obviously I'll need a matching leather pouch to match the strap if I went for the brown leather :-) )

In terms of the width over the shoulder, I also wear my bass at about 45 degrees so the part of the strap which goes over my shoulder was just before it got to its widest point (about half an inch narrower at that point) so I'd agree that the overall strap could be slightly narrower overall.

My only point of concern was that (similar to pictures previously posted) the left hand side of the strap as it runs down my back doesn't sit flat and you get what I can only describe as a fluted effect to the shape.

I had no concerns with the way the bass balanced or felt whilst playing and I just wonder if this is related to the pre-curved shape of the strap and whether this could be improved by either reducing the amount of curvature or just making the strap straight?

Overall though, loads of support and I can imagine that this strap would be immensely comfortable to wear for long gigs. I'll be interested to see what the overall consensus is and what the final product looks like.

Thanks for the opportunity to try it.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for your input, much appreciated.
The strap would fit you better if it were made for you, for certain.
I have none of the fluting of the back part when I wear it.

Again confirming what others have noted:

Narrower overall,
Narrower sooner as it heads down the back.

All good.

Thank you very much!

:)

Karl

Okay, strap arrived safe and sound from Ed. First off the smell, wonderful! Very well made and beautiful leather, stud poppers made adjustment very simple. I tried this strap out on a Thunderbird and a Jazz Bass.

I think as has been stated before that it could do with being a bit narrower at the shoulder and across the back, although this will vary dependent on your build. Otherwise it is the most comfortable strap I have every tried, it distributed the weight across my shoulder and had absolutely no slippage. I am 5' 11" and a skinny dude, due to suffering from severe Osteoporosis (brittle bone disease) and this strap is great for someone like me. It ticked all the boxes for me. I got the good lady to take some photos of the strap on the guitar as well as one of it next to the straps I usually use.

Pity it arrived today, if it had been Friday it would have got a test run through a 3 hour gig!

I highly recommend this. Off to Stuart tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me try this out.

Ps Karl, the truss road cover and scratcher on the Thunderbird are hand tooled leather on a thin metal plate too.

Edited by dougieb

I also suffer from shoulder problems. I use a Sandberg which tops the scales at 9.25lbs. This is the first strap which has really taken the weight of the bass. I like to wear my bass high so I couldn't really get the strap short enough for my liking, however I was still able to get a good idea of how effective the strap is. I'm quite broad shouldered so I was ok with the width but would prefer it narrower provided it didn't affect he ability of the strap to distribute the weight.

My wife worked or a leather manufacturer for 8 years and she commented on the high quality of the leather. Its also very well made. I've probably added noting new to the opinions already voiced but suffice to say I will be placing a order.