Why become a member? ×

The ideal Bass strap?

Karl Derrick

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407505958' post='2521295']
Perhaps there's a niche in the market for a contoured leather bass-playing bra for the older/more robust gentleman?
This needs more research.
[/quote]

I don't know if there is niche for that kind of product in the bass market so much as in my private life, and probably your own too.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407506202' post='2521301']
I don't know if there is niche for that kind of product in the bass market so much as in my private life, and probably your own too.
[/quote]

more a twinned pair of niches?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407506202' post='2521301']
[/quote]

Well yes, but I was thinking for bass-playing you'd need a bra that [i]doesn't[/i] deliberately cause chafing. :mellow:

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407517293' post='2521439']
I'll design and make a prototype to test.

Is anyone in West London/Ealing area who could come and try it?
[/quote]

that's me out then, being in Sheffield :(

one for discreet methinks :)

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407518277' post='2521455']
We could meet in Soho. What kind of bass would we test it with?
[/quote]

My Jazz bass, presumably. I know there is a large contingent of Basschatters in West London.
Anyone up for it? Might be easier (for me) if so. :D

I know of at least one BC-er in West London with a plethora of different basses...

*Cough* Happy Jack! *Cough*

Edited by discreet

No other forum I've ever been on has the propensity for percolating drivel like basschatters do

I absolutely love it!

Now what we're we talking about...?

Oh yes straps. I have a wide leathery one (may well be faux) which works well but isn't very adjustable

I look forward to progress on this one.

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1407525810' post='2521547']
or for skinny waifs?
[/quote]

Aye, or for the shorter or shorter armed among us!
Also for the double neck players!

[quote name='Karl Derrick' timestamp='1407527598' post='2521577']
I have a plan for a prototype ergonomic strap in mind.

It'll be specific to left or right hand users, with the pattern flipped for lefties.

Karl
[/quote]
Cool Idea, with an intriguing USP. Would consider buying one. It's gonna depend on price of course. I'd focus on making it work first, then making it pretty.
Maybe offer custom options, e.g. colours / patterning for an additional fee if that's the direction you want to take it.

If the strap is very ergonomic it could be a wonderful product/solution to a lot of bassists needs. I personally have an elastic and foam strap which works well but could do with having less give and more grip (it's very soft, and about 8 cm wide - Ideally it'd be 12 cm and have a very grippy back).

Thanks for that. I already know about making it work before making it pretty thing.
I design leather items full time :)

I already have an idea for a strap I want to try out.
It's an interesting idea....
I need to make a proof of concept proto to see if it'll work.

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

I've never really found a comfortable leather strap :(

Some of the Harvest ones are beautifully made from super-soft leather but the one I had was a little slippy. Any instrument that wasn't perfectly balanced would tend to dip towars the headstock.

I've used various neoprene straps for years and found the amount of 'give' in the better designs works really well to relieve weight and strain on my left shoulder.

Recently I moved over to Mono Betty straps and find they offer a nice balance of flexibility, grip & comfort. Not the prettiest straps on the block but hey work really well for me.

I might be able to change your mind :)

The leather I use for instrument straps is a beautiful, supple leather, full grain, Oak tanned hide from a small family owned Tannery in the West Country.
It's lovely. Smells amazing.
It's soft but very strong, and has a gentle 'give' without feeling loose or stretchy.

It's 2.5mm to 2.9mm thick, and I line it with 1mm thick suede for a total thickness of about 3.5mm to 4mm
The suede stops the strap slipping.
The softness of the leather also lets it mould to your body shape.

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick

For me it would also be leather strap with suede back to stop slipping and some padding in between...for those heavy instruments...70's Fenders anyone? :P

One thing I have never liked on leather straps is the way to adjust the length, if you want to change it it's no very easy or quick, I much prefer the quick slide buckle found on other straps, you can adjust it on the fly...Could this be done in a leather strap?

I try to take a holistic approach with my design work.
I'll get the function and features, then the final shape, then the pretty stuff.

I'll bear a quick adjustment feature in mind, but everyone will want a specific feature and every feature added drives up the price of each strap.

The final strap will be a reasonable compromise between quality/materials/labour/features and price.

Karl

Edited by Karl Derrick