Why become a member? ×

Herman's Hermits

blue

Last night at WI State Fair we did a show with Hermans Hermits staring Peter Noone. I got a chance to spend some time with *Vance Brescia back stage and got a good lessen about vintage gear. A genuine nice guy from NYC.

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]*Vance Brescia is musical director and lead guitar player for Herman's Hermits starring Peter Noone[/font][/size].

Vance is a singer, songwriter and performer whose talent has amazed audiences since the 1980s. In 1986 The Monkees recorded and made a million seller of his song, "That was Then, This Is Now" as the theme for their [url="http://community.livejournal.com/summerslast/347.html"]comeback tour[/url].

Edited by blue

Here in Blighty we forget that Herman's Hermits were a [i]humungous[/i] act in the States.

In our mental odds'n'sods drawer they languish alongside Freddie and The Dreamers, Marmalade, the Dave Clark Five and many other acts who enjoyed fleeting UK fame then ended up on the 1970's 'chicken-in-a-basket' circuit.

Good that Mr Noone's still out there and glad that Blue had a rewarding evening. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1407686761' post='2523009']
Here in Blighty we forget that Herman's Hermits were a [i]humungous[/i] act in the States.

In our mental odds'n'sods drawer they languish alongside Freddie and The Dreamers, Marmalade, the Dave Clark Five and many other acts who enjoyed fleeting UK fame then ended up on the 1970's 'chicken-in-a-basket' circuit.

Good that Mr Noone's still out there and glad that Blue had a rewarding evening. :)
[/quote]

+1, Well summarised Skank

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1407689365' post='2523057']
Interesting that Herman has rejoined…at one point the only original was the drummer :o

Mind you, that's also the case with the Animals…
[/quote]

Not forgetting Mickey Finn's T-Rex (percussionist, not even fully fledged drummer)!

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1407689365' post='2523057']
Interesting that Herman has rejoined…at one point the only original was the drummer :o

Mind you, that's also the case with the Animals…
[/quote]

Like The Animals I think there's more than one Herman's Hermits, one either side of the Atlantic; it's also true of The Sweet.
In the past there's been two versions simultaneously of The Glitterband, Bay City Rollers - and three Boney Ms!

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1407686761' post='2523009']

[/quote]

I had no idea Herman's Hermits didn't have the same success in the UK they had over here.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1407721346' post='2523364']
I had no idea Herman's Hermits didn't have the same success in the UK they had over here.

Blue
[/quote]
Hermits Hermits had more Top 20 Chart entries in the UK than they did in the US. They had 17 Top Twenty entries between 1964 and 1970 here in the UK. The hits dried up for them around 1967 in the US but continued until 1970 in the UK. In the mid to late 60s Hermans Hermits & Peter Noone were regulars in the music papers and especially publications aimed at teenage girls. I know that Peter Noone was very successful in the US but Herman's Hermits certainly didn't lack success this side of the pond.

Just another boy's band, as I recall. Nothing special; went down quite well with the grannies on black 'n white TV variety shows such as 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' and 'The Val Doonican Show'. I was never a 13-year old girl, so can't really comment on their main attraction. Musically, a non-entity in the circles in which I gravitated. Middle of the road banal pop, along with Sandy Shaw ([i]Sandy shore..! Ho ho. What merriment..![/i]), Lulu and Acker Bilk. Mostly harmless.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407743841' post='2523411']
I was never a 13-year old girl, so can't really comment on their main attraction. Musically, a non-entity in the circles in which I gravitated. Middle of the road banal pop, along with Sandy Shaw ([i]Sandy shore..! Ho ho. What merriment..![/i]), Lulu and Acker Bilk. Mostly harmless.
[/quote]
I was never a 13-year-old girl either but as a teenage boy at the time i can tell you that there was nothing wrong at all with the rather wonderful Sandie Shaw. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407743841' post='2523411']
Just another boy's band, as I recall. Nothing special; went down quite well with the grannies on black 'n white TV variety shows such as 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' and 'The Val Doonican Show'.
[/quote]
Most pop/rock groups appeared on TV variety shows in the 60s and 70s . Remember the Jimi Hendrix Experience on the Lulu Show?

[media]http://youtu.be/elqJBWU4dOc[/media]

Thank Your Lucky Stars wasn't a variety show and was as important as Top Of The Pops, Ready Steady Go, Juke Box Jury etc at bringing pop to the teenagers of the UK.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1407745234' post='2523431']
Most pop/rock groups appeared on TV variety shows in the 60s and 70s . Remember the Jimi Hendrix Experience on the Lulu Show?

Thank Your Lucky Stars wasn't a variety show and was as important as Top Of The Pops, Ready Steady Go, Juke Box Jury etc at bringing pop to the teenagers of the UK.
[/quote]

... which changes nothing concerning the blandness of the band being discussed. The 'importance' of any and all these 'pop' outlets is also somewhat relative, just the same. Thanks anyway.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1407748807' post='2523476']
MB1.
In 1967 Herman's Hermits
Took a Support band out on there North American Tour
...The WHO
[/quote]
Yes a strange combination but not as strange as the Jimi Hendrix Experience supporting The Walker Brothers in 1967.