Why become a member? ×

Wiring p bass pickup straight to jack- buzzzzz

cameltoe

Hi,

Trying to make my own stomp box for the band and wanted to use a similar set up to this: http://diyguitar.ca/diy-gears/p-bass-stomp-box/

I wondered if there would be any issues with soldering the p'up straight to the jack? Or do I need to create some kind of earth connection somewhere?

I'm asking as I've already today tried this with one half of a Pbass pickup (the other half had broken) and the buzzing was extreme beyond any practical use-I'm hoping it will be less of an issue with a full p bass 'humbucker', but can still imagine it causing problems.

Any help appreciated!

The jacket socket has an earth/ground side to it so you'll have the ground wire running to it from the pickup and if you shield the inside of the box with shielding foil then use a wire from the foil to the jack socket ground as well; you could use a small screw with a wide washer driven through the shielding foil into the wooden sides of the box with a wire running from under the washer (in contact with the foil).

Edited by HowieBass