Why become a member? ×

Back up head advice.

indiegrungesound

Eh up! I'm just posting this in order to gauge your collective opinions on a potential-but not at all problematic-conundrum.

I had a successful audition with a new band last night, which was the first time I've used my recently purchased TC Electronic BH500 with my Warwick 2x12" stack in an actual band setting. Going in with 3 guitars(1 acoustic through the PA & 2 very effects driven electrics); keyboards & drums, it performed it's job beautifully!

I also took my trusty, rack cased Hartke LH500, but I had no need to use it. This has effectively made me think that IF I ever needed a back up amp, surely the most sensible thing is to purchase another BH500.

What do you think folks?

I have two amp heads. A Mesa Boogie Walkabout and a Genz Streamliner 900.

When I was in your situation and wanting a backup amp, I decided to buy two different amps so that I could use either, depending on the gig. For me, I think it's a waste to own two amps the same.

Why not enjoy some variety?

Frank.

Not a bad idea, but I don't use DI in rehearsal situations. Also, the BH500 isn't particularly heavy, meaning that I'd be balanced carrying two at the same time. I should say that I'm not really into Lightweight heads anymore. The only one I'd consider would be a TC Electronic RH450, which has the pretty much the same features & is a loud head. However, it's pretty pricey new & I'd be losing 50 watts of power @ 4 ohms, which doesn't make that much sense to me. In fact, I could get a BH500 AND a decent DI Box/Pedal & still have plenty of change!

Thanks all the same though, as it was a good point.

What does anyone else think?

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1407687159' post='2523015']
I have two amp heads. A Mesa Boogie Walkabout and a Genz Streamliner 900.

When I was in your situation and wanting a backup amp, I decided to buy two different amps so that I could use either, depending on the gig. For me, I think it's a waste to own two amps the same.

Why not enjoy some variety?

Frank.
[/quote]

It's not variety that's the problem or the clincher here. Just more an issue of space really. Also, the Hartke should go to a good home if I can't use it.

I`m also in the same position, however for different reasons. A lot of gigs I do the bands are happy to share cabs, but not heads. Now I use a combo plus ext cab, with a Tech21 VT DI as my actual eq. So I`m looking at an amp head that`s not too heavy to be able to take to these gigs. Ideally I`d get a Little Mark 2 or 3 seeing as it`s the 2 that`s in my combo, but in reality, seeing as all the sound comes from the VT (all the gigs we do I go to FOH) so any little amp knocking out 300 watts or so at 8ohms will be fine. Just got to scour the for sale section I suppose.

But back to the original post, well I tend to think if something really fits the bill that well, sticking to it usually a good idea, so another BH500 could be a good idea (and they`re not too much either). Looked at these myself, but too heavy.

Edited by Lozz196

It's solid state right? I really wouldn't worry about a back up, get some spare fuses maybe. In my opinion, if you're worried about the head failing then maybe it's not right you. The money you'd be spending on two [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BH500s[/font][/color] could get you something "better" but then that's for you to decide!

I know you said you're not into light weight heads but the Aguilar Tone hammer is really worth a look.

[quote name='DanEly' timestamp='1407691162' post='2523072']
It's solid state right? I really wouldn't worry about a back up, get some spare fuses maybe. In my opinion, if you're worried about the head failing then maybe it's not right you. The money you'd be spending on two [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BH500s[/font][/color] could get you something "better" but then that's for you to decide!

I know you said you're not into light weight heads but the Aguilar Tone hammer is really worth a look.
[/quote]

It is Solid state. The only worry I ever had was with the VERY first BH500 I had died within the first half hour of using it at home.

Thankfully, the replacement sourced for me by the shop is awesome &-touch wood-problem free! I really like the features on the BH500 too & it's lighter than the Hartke head, whilst still being sturdy. So, IF anything did go wrong, having something that has the exact same sound would be best.

Now, The Tone Hammer sounds awesome! Again though, it's not cheap.

Ta for your feedback though! It's very much appreciated.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1407689340' post='2523055']
I`m also in the same position, however for different reasons. A lot of gigs I do the bands are happy to share cabs, but not heads. Now I use a combo plus ext cab, with a Tech21 VT DI as my actual eq. So I`m looking at an amp head that`s not too heavy to be able to take to these gigs. Ideally I`d get a Little Mark 2 or 3 seeing as it`s the 2 that`s in my combo, but in reality, seeing as all the sound comes from the VT (all the gigs we do I go to FOH) so any little amp knocking out 300 watts or so at 8ohms will be fine. Just got to scour the for sale section I suppose.

But back to the original post, well I tend to think if something really fits the bill that well, sticking to it usually a good idea, so another BH500 could be a good idea (and they`re not too much either). Looked at these myself, but too heavy.
[/quote]

I take your point Lozz, but I don't think it's a particularly heavy head.

One thing I now DO think might be a good idea, based on all the feedback I've had, is the DI pedal. Is the Tech 21 pedal still widely available? I do quite like the look of the MXR one too.

I've never carried a backup head, even back in the old valve days, these days I just have a BDI21 in the bag just in case, even though I have two heads to pick from. I'd suggest your previous amp failure might be making you super-cautious. As MachineHead says, if you really must bring two amps, you could pick one which could come close to the original head sound, but possibly give you something else just for variety's sake.

Maybe, as has also been suggested, just buy one head you have a bit more faith in, and a £25 DI box?

The BH500 head is heavier than my Compact...just saying...

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1407697903' post='2523151']
I take your point Lozz, but I don't think it's a particularly heavy head.

One thing I now DO think might be a good idea, based on all the feedback I've had, is the DI pedal. Is the Tech 21 pedal still widely available? I do quite like the look of the MXR one too.
[/quote]

Mine is the latest version, the VT DI (previous versions weren`t DI enabled). It`s a bit pricey but to me it`s invaluable. My whole sound comes from it, recording wise I just take that along, no amp, and if my amp fails at a gig I can still go through FOH as it`s very unusual for my current band to do a gig without FOH PA. I did have the MXR but didn`t rate is as much, but then I`m Ampeg nuts so it`s not surprising I prefer an Ampeg simulating pedal.

Either a micro amp as backup or bring a DI with you. I use my MXR M80 bass preamp DI for backup.

Actually since I have a monitor myself for gig I can gig with a smaller amp for stage monitor and DI my bass to the PA at the same time and pump some bass on the monitor. If my amp dies on a gig, I'm still ok.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1407755591' post='2523564']
Either a micro amp as backup or bring a DI with you. I use my MXR M80 bass preamp DI for backup.

Actually since I have a monitor myself for gig I can gig with a smaller amp for stage monitor and DI my bass to the PA at the same time and pump some bass on the monitor. If my amp dies on a gig, I'm still ok.
[/quote]

I hope you don't mind if I ask a potentially stupid question. Have you been able to tweak the MXR so that the sound that comes out via the DI is as exact as possible to mimic the sound of your amp coming through your speaker?

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1407865458' post='2524872']
I hope you don't mind if I ask a potentially stupid question. Have you been able to tweak the MXR so that the sound that comes out via the DI is as exact as possible to mimic the sound of your amp coming through your speaker?
[/quote]

Depend what you trying to do, no the MXR does not replica the sound of my actual amp or speaker. To do that you probably need to mic your cab ......

My bass tone is pretty clean and the DI only provide more bass out front for me so I can get away not using big cabs ...... and also act is backup.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1407914333' post='2525202']

Depend what you trying to do, no the MXR does not replica the sound of my actual amp or speaker. To do that you probably need to mic your cab ......

My bass tone is pretty clean and the DI only provide more bass out front for me so I can get away not using big cabs ...... and also act is backup.
[/quote]

No problem. I was just curious. Still only in the stage of tinkering with the sounds my head can pull out. I will say that I like the Tube emulator & Compressor a lot!

Thanks for the info! :-)

[quote name='BanditSid' timestamp='1407912808' post='2525193']
Our PA isn't big enough to cope with me as well so I have bought a GK MB200 as a backup amp - it's small, amazingly loud and capable as an amp - I could probably cover the majority of our gigs with it.
[/quote]

This is what bothers me and maybe someone can answer the question. Most of our gigs are in smallish pubs (we can hire a big PA for larger gigs), so we only use 2 x EVZLXps-12" tops for the vocals with no subs and just one powered monitor. I am also considering getting a DI box as a back up but am concerned about the bass just going into 2 tops. It would only ever be as a back up to limp through til the end of a gig if my amp died, but not sure if I'd be better spending the cash on a SH old amp head so at least I can still use my cab.

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1407697598' post='2523146']

It is Solid state. The only worry I ever had was with the VERY first BH500 I had died within the first half hour of using it at home.

Thankfully, the replacement sourced for me by the shop is awesome &-touch wood-problem free! I really like the features on the BH500 too & it's lighter than the Hartke head, whilst still being sturdy. So, IF anything did go wrong, having something that has the exact same sound would be best.

Now, The Tone Hammer sounds awesome! Again though, it's not cheap.

Ta for your feedback though! It's very much appreciated.
[/quote]

Just got a th350, just done 2 gigs with it. Absolutely awesome tone. Love it.