Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Combustion NG-2 - thoughts?

Iain

Hey,

Been hankering for a Dingwall. Budget means it'll be a Combustion and I'm really taken with the NG-2 model. Anyone played one? Got thoughts on differences between that and the standard Combustion?

I think I'm going to have to take a trip down to Bass Direct and have a look and listen but wanted some opinions from the BC community!

Iain

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1407685080' post='2522982']I didn't think they were out yet ?[/quote]

According to the Bass Direct site the first batch were due in June, sold out of the funky green... Some vids on youtube so they seem to be out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrsvm_usgf0

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

Yes I have played the NG-2 quite a lot and have to say it really is every bit as good as you'd expect from Dingwall. The first batch have been delayed a bit but should well be on their way from Canada soon out to the rest of the world. The combustions, even though they are the 'more accesible' end of Dingwall's price bracket are still very much a premium instrument. The tone of the NG-2 is throaty with a mid presence on Nolly's favourite setiing when the pickups are in series.

I had ordered an NG-2 myself but I am very very pleased to say that I have a brand spanking new and absolutely stunning AB1 5/3 model sat next to me right now. I'm finding that for me personally the extra front pick up gives a great fatness to the bass, even solo'd where I can do a 'P Bass on steroids' kinda sound.

I think as the model I played on was a production prototype, the NG's out soon (including a large batch due for September) are going to be superb!

Any Dingwall is great i would say i had a 2010 Combustion and then a full custom SPJ both totally amazing! The NG2 has had a delay due to Sheldon Dingwall not being happy with the quality he was sent so the first batch i believe will be coming to the UK in September at Bass Direct.

Played the NG2 at the recent London Bass Guitar Show... It's a monster! I also owned a normal Combustion for a while and the only thing that really sets it apart is the electronics and if you're a fan of any of the Darkglass stuff, you'll love what they've packed in there. Other than that, it's the awesome Dingwall quality that you'd probably expect. :)

[quote name='gingerfish' timestamp='1407960440' post='2525836']Though from my digging no one has seen one in the flesh.[/quote]

Yeah, not been able to find many pics of the colours barring the awesome green to get a good idea of them.

I've seen pictures of the yellow and the red, and I played the green one Mark had at Bass Direct shortly before the London Bass Show, Sheldon loaned it to him to go on his stand there, playability was everything you'd expect from a Dingwall, and there's a wide range of tones available, esp. with that EQ.

I would say bear in mind that the pictures do not do that green one justice, it is a much brighter colour than it looks in photos, really striking, so I'd assume the blue is the same. I'm still trying to decide if I want one of these or not, I'm tempted to continue saving further and go the same way as Dood, the AB1 is awesome and that pickup configuration has so many tonal options available. Plus they look damn sexy.

Thanks guys. I wonder what the Yellow looks like with the lighter fretboard though... The green's still out there as a winner for me.

The AB1 would be tempting but that a big step up in price and tough to justify! My first bass was a Jazz copy and I've always had a soft spot for them so the SJ5 was tempting.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1408031438' post='2526446']
Thanks guys. I wonder what the Yellow looks like with the lighter fretboard though... The green's still out there as a winner for me.

The AB1 would be tempting but that a big step up in price and tough to justify! My first bass was a Jazz copy and I've always had a soft spot for them so the SJ5 was tempting.
[/quote]

I asked the same question and Mark very kindly sent me a picture of this AB1 as an example of the yellow with the lighter fretboard, though this is a Bird's Eye Maple.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1408036356' post='2526529']
Very nice, thanks dood. Liked it so much you had to buy it?
[/quote]

Ahh ha ha ha! Wasn't it Victor Kiam who said that lol.. Yes, I'd been eyeing up this one since I first saw it 'in stock'. It was the exact spec I was looking for but I grew in to the colour. Kinda glad- it's an utter peach of a bass..err.. a umm.. yellow peach.. lol!

I find myself strangely drawn to this model despite:

1). Not particularly liking the available colours
2). Not particularly liking the pickup arrangement
3). Not particularly liking any Darkglass pedal I've owned
4). Thinking a whipper snapper like Nolly Getgood has no right having a signature bass considering he's really a glorified guitar player...
5). Recently deciding I was sticking to 4 strings...

Despite all this, my credit card feels in mortal peril...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1408056536' post='2526807']
I find myself strangely drawn to this model despite:

1). Not particularly liking the available colours
2). Not particularly liking the pickup arrangement
3). Not particularly liking any Darkglass pedal I've owned
4). Thinking a whipper snapper like Nolly Getgood has no right having a signature bass considering he's really a glorified guitar player...
5). Recently deciding I was sticking to 4 strings...

Despite all this, my credit card feels in mortal peril...
[/quote]

Ticking every box for your there, the recommendation must surely be to buy two of them :)

p.s. Do Ferrari really make lurid green cars? If I ever see one I am going to have to burn it - sorry. I know Lambo make 'em though.

Edited by ead