Why become a member? ×

Just joined a band, pedals?

Guinness21

Just joined a new band, check them out - https://soundcloud.com/titorsinsignia. It's an originals band, they describe themselves as rock 'n roll, but I'm not sure lol. They also do a couple of covers - come together, another brick in the wall and long way to the top.

I just wanted to know if there are any pedals/sounds that would suit or enhance this sound? Are there any pedals that are standardised within this genre of music? I play a stingray 4hh, and I'm using what I think is an old, beat up Ashdown ABM 410T that the band bought themselves.

Would appreciate any advice, cheers :)

I'd agree with that, and rather predictably I'd suggest the Zoom B3 - unlike other multifx where you're rather circumscribed as to your options (there'll be a compressor/limiter, preamp, modulation, reverb, amp sim) , the B3 gives you three stompboxes in a row which you can do what you like with.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1407776080' post='2523899']
Thanks for the advice :) Yeah think it's either the b3, or the boss limiter enhance, tuner and bass overdrive.
[/quote]
Try the pedals before buying. I made the mistake of thinking that I needed a compressor & whereas I used compression in the studio, never liked using a compressor pedal live.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1407776080' post='2523899']
Thanks for the advice :) Yeah think it's either the b3, or the boss limiter enhance, tuner and bass overdrive.
[/quote]

There are much better comps out there than the Boss, and if you were referring to Boss for all three - their bass overdrive is more of a heavy fuzzy distortion. I love it personally but I would never label it as an overdrive!

If it's just experimenting you're after for now, the Zoom B1on is miles cheaper than the B3 (£49 vs £129), has the same sound quality but with has some extra features (aux in and ability to chain more than 3 fx) and has some effects that aren't on the B3 too. Worth getting for the headphone amp, tuner, looper and drum machine alone, it's a superb practice tool.

You probably won't need more than a tuner and an overdrive for now. Which overdrive, now that's a minefield and a slippery slope towards pedal addiction. I'd check out the COG Knightfall, it gets raved about around here. Your amp should has a decent enough compressor built in also.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1407766710' post='2523736']
I'd agree with that, and rather predictably I'd suggest the Zoom B3 - unlike other multifx where you're rather circumscribed as to your options (there'll be a compressor/limiter, preamp, modulation, reverb, amp sim) , the B3 gives you three stompboxes in a row which you can do what you like with.
[/quote]

Plus it has a tuner and DI on it. Very nice bit of kit the B3. Be careful with the blend options though, I found that they were way too full-on. Back off to about halfway on this and the effects become very good indeed.

There was a B3 up for grabs on here, maybe still around.

Regarding bitcrushers: I've got a Frantabit now, which does both bitcrushing and sample rate reduction, and I imagined it would replace my Bugbrand Bugcrusher which is just a sample rate reducer, but while the bitcrushing side of things is a cool sound it has to be way up front in the mix to get heard and it's so destructive as to make any other effects earlier in the chain pretty much disappear, whereas the Bugcrusher flavours anything and always leaves enough bottom end in the sound.

So for my 2p, sample rate reducers are much more useful on bass.

I run my frantabit in 3 ways (mostly with the blend about 10:30), as a dirt effect (no sample rate reduction, bits at 10:00~,and then into a defret effect on my zoom unit), as a low-fi (sample rate about 10:00-11:00, no bit reduction) and as a tremolo (sample rate set all the way anticlockwise, no bit reduction, sample rate switch to obliterate).
True, I find that I can use the low-fi sample rate reduction as a much more subtle effect than the bit crusher side, but i can find subtle things to do with this peddle. Especially with the switch between actual digital sample rate reduction and a sim of the analogue aliasing like the bugcrusher.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1408224627' post='2528274']
Blend options?
[/quote]

Most of the effects on the B3 either have an effects level or blend, depending on what it`s called on each effect, as well as overall volume. Way too much on most of them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1408188621' post='2527936']

Plus it has a tuner and DI on it. Very nice bit of kit the B3. Be careful with the blend options though, I found that they were way too full-on. Back off to about halfway on this and the effects become very good indeed.

There was a B3 up for grabs on here, maybe still around.
[/quote]
+1 for the B3. The b1on is also good but I prefer the interface on the b3. But that's just my preference. As previously stated, Zoom effects are very "full on" on their default settings but easily changed to suit your preferences.

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1408574562' post='2531567']
+1 for the B3. The b1on is also good but I prefer the interface on the b3. But that's just my preference. As previously stated, Zoom effects are very "full on" on their default settings but easily changed to suit your preferences.
[/quote]

I just got the B3 as well: it's a user-friendly box that has some great sounding effects in there.
You basically have 3 pedals in front of you that you can pre-program.
For my rock band, I use a compressor, an Ampeg amp model, and a crunch effect from time to time, and it works great.