Why become a member? ×

Need some help !

ML94

Hi,

I'm having this problem with transcribing at the moment. I can work the whole track out and memorise the part I've been working on e.g. bass line. But for some reason I cannot get it down on paper.

I can read music but writing it down is where I'm getting stuck on. I'd love to get all the work that I've been doing on the net so others can benefit from it but writing it down is what is killing me !

Have you got notation software - Sibelius or anything ? You'll probably in fact almost certainly need it when you start at uni.

I have a page open in Sibelius as I'm transcribing something, and put it in each note or phrase at a time. Sibelius is great because if you get something wrong then you can just drag the note down or up to where it's meant to be, or change the note value. You can also play it back to hear if you've written it out properly.

There's a student version of Sibelius available.

What part of writing it down are you having trouble with? Notes? Rhythm? Just take it easy..you can already read, so you
know where the notes are and their values.Take it slowly, count the rhythm to make sure it adds up and generally take it one note at a time. The more you do, the easier and quicker it will become.
I've got Sibelius, but I still use manuscript paper and a pencil (to erase mistakes) most of the time.I just find it easier and
quicker- It takes me half the time to write it out as it does on the computer.

Hey guys,

Cheers for the replies ! I have Sibelius 7 and have been using it for a couple of months now. Just managed to get my head around the damn thing!
[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1407755080' post='2523557']
What part of writing it down are you having trouble with? Notes? Rhythm? Just take it easy..you can already read, so you
know where the notes are and their values.Take it slowly, count the rhythm to make sure it adds up and generally take it one note at a time. The more you do, the easier and quicker it will become.
I've got Sibelius, but I still use manuscript paper and a pencil (to erase mistakes) most of the time.I just find it easier and
quicker- It takes me half the time to write it out as it does on the computer.
[/quote]

Hey Doddy, it's the rhythm values that are doing my head in when trying to write down some lines. As I've mentioned I can read music and understand the rhythm values when being asked to play from paper. Writing them down is another story.

There is an option of recording myself in Logic and then creating a MIDI track from the audio, but I feel like I'm cheating myself with that. I'd like to be able to write it down first and then use the Logic software if I can't be bothered writing it down lol

I guess it's just slowly working the values out and reading it off to make sure its right ?