Why become a member? ×

NAD - Gallien-Krueger MB200

discreet

[b]NAD - Gallien-Krueger MB200[/b]

[url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/wp-content/uploads/mb200-manual.pdf"][b]http://www.gallien-krueger.com/wp-content/uploads/mb200-manual.pdf[/b][/url]

Got this as part of a deal and I'm considering using it as a back-up for my G-K MB500 Fusion. This is an all-SS amp - so I wasn't expecting the Fusion's preamp valve lushness and warmth, and it doesn't have the Fusion's switchable Contour and EQ options. However... I must admit to being very surprised by the amount of heft and sheer volume on tap. The core tone is good, too. :blink:

And it's [i]tiny[/i] - 7.75" wide, 1.75" high (without rubber feet) and 8" deep. So it'll fit in your gig bag with no problems whatsoever. It's light, too - less than 1kg! Or less than a bag of sugar. 200W @ 4ohms and 140W @ 8ohms. 6.3mm Jack input, -10db pad for active basses, a single Gain control, Contour switch - this cuts the mids for a scooped sound - it's either on or off. I doubt you would want to have this switched in live, as I suspect you'd lose your mids somewhat, but it does make the amp sound nice at home-playing levels. Treble, Hi-Mid, Lo-Mid, Bass EQ controls. And of course, a power switch. It has a ring LED which changes from red to blue when it's ready to rock, just like the Fusion.

On the back we have an AC mains socket, XLR direct out with Pre or Post option, Aux in for playing your tunes through the amp (good for late-night headphone practice), and a switched output that doubles as a headphone out or a line out depending on how you've toggled it. And of course the ubiquitous Neutrik Speakon speaker output - of which there is only one, so if you want to use two 8ohm cabs for maximum beans, you will need to be able to daisy-chain your cabs.

I tried it both with my Barefaced Big One (8ohms = 140W) and my two BFM J12s (2X 8ohms - 4ohms = 200W). As I said, it's a loud amp! The Fusion is also a loud amp. Once again we realise that rated output means little, and the amount of SPL one perceives is largely due to the sensitivity of the cabs the amp is being played through. Both Big One and J12s are sensitive cabs and whether running at 140W or 200W there is more than enough power to keep up with a drummer and egocentric guitarist using a 50W Marshall Valve combo - this combo is arse-shatteringly loud, by the way.

How does it sound? Well, it's very good indeed. In fact it's something of a tone monster given the tiny package (fnarr) it's contained in. It does share quite a lot of tone with the Fusion - but without that amp's greater headroom - the Fusion has a slightly smoother delivery. The MB200 isn't [i]harsh[/i] exactly - don't think that - but at higher levels it does have its own sound, and you can definitely start to hear a bit of break-up. It's SS break-up of course, but it's very musical and usable and I'm more than happy with it. I've yet to gig with it, so can't comment on that, but as we generally don't gig any louder than we rehearse I'm guessing it will be more than up to the job.

So... it's very simple, very small, very light and it sounds very good. It's also very affordable. Like I say, I'm thinking of it as a back-up amp, but it's better than that - if you're on a budget, or you just don't need a massively loud amp (and really, no-one needs a massively loud amp - it's just marketing, people!) then this is for you. I've also owned the Markbass Little Mark 250, which is a good amp, but I found I needed a preamp pedal in front of it to get the tone I wanted. With the MB200 this isn't necessary - it sounds great straight out of the box, it's totally plug and play, just like the Fusion. The Little Mark 250 is also a [i]lot[/i] more expensive. The MB200 EQ section is a bit limited compared with the Fusion, but what there is works very well and you can get good tones from it. I heartily endorse this product and/or service! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1407769883' post='2523787']
I've one of these I use when the full rig isn't required.... It's getting an outing Thursday night along with the Wizzy 10, I can take the whole set up on the tube.
[/quote]

Very good! I can use the MB200 with just one BFM J12 for rehearsal. Plenty of beans and one very easy lift from car to rehearsal room. Stress-free, really. :)

Edit: Crikey, you've got some very interesting basses incoming! I look forward to the NBD threads... ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1407770061' post='2523789']
Very good! I can use the MB200 with just one BFM J12 for rehearsal. Plenty of beans and one very easy lift from car to rehearsal room. Stress-free, really. :)

Edit: Crikey, you've got some very interesting basses incoming! I look forward to the NBD threads... ;)
[/quote]

Yes they really are excellent little amps, like you I think the core tone is pretty good and I run it pretty much flat.

... Trouble with the custom builds is they take ages and I'm like an impatient toddler... Peterbuilt due first in a couple of months :) sadly still a year left for the Wal :blink:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1407770682' post='2523797']
...Trouble with the custom builds is they take ages and I'm like an impatient toddler... Peterbuilt due first in a couple of months :) sadly still a year left for the Wal :blink:
[/quote]

I've been struck with more GAS having seen the Peterbuilt basses... d'oh. I'm sure the Wal will be worth waiting for. Look forward to seeing what you think about that one.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1407772044' post='2523823']
I have two of these at the mo, one for sale as two is a bit daft when I also have an Ashdown CTM100 and ABM500 at my disposal!
Cracking amp though, will always have one in my arsenal :)
[/quote]

Not so sure that two is a bit daft... I'm thinking a split signal from bass into two MB200s through my two J12s, one with a decent drive in front of it... hmm. At this price two amps isn't a luxury.
Of course, you'd need three really - one for back-up. :D

Edit: What the hell, just have a dozen or so to be on the safe side. :lol:

Edited by discreet

I bought one of these last year. First trial in anger was through a 4ohm PA cab. Woooooo I thought, this is nice ( for something not far off the size of a video cassette or 4 DVD cases - if you're young). Then I bought a couple of genz 12"focus cabs. Blimey. I don' t gig but play with two bands. One has a loud drummer and even louder geetar. I use one cab with these guys( too much of a shlep for two) no problem keeping up. With the other lot I use two cabs, clarity by the bucketload, relatively speaking, and drums and guitar who can play at the volume of a mouses lullaby.

What a lovely wee amp.

I've got one that I use for some rehearsals, but my main amp (like Discreet) is an MB Fusion. I've often thought the perfect rig would be 2 MB200s with my 2 Compacts - plenty of volume for gigging, and maximum backup (both amp and cabs backed up).

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1407769883' post='2523787']
I've one of these I use when the full rig isn't required.... It's getting an outing Thursday night along with the Wizzy 10, I can take the whole set up on the tube.
[/quote]

I took my MB200/Wizzy 10 setup out for a gig last night. It's got to be the nicest sounding rig of that size that I've heard. It won't fill a huge room with deep bass but in small rooms or with PA support it's very useful, and being able to sling it over my shoulder in a padded cajon bag and hop on the bus makes city centre gigging a lot easier.

Got one, and I love it.
I still want a reasonable priced cabinet for it, though.
The 15" GK I have is okay, but I would like a step up

BTW - what is your settings (I really [i]don't[/i] like the contour switch)?

Edited by isteen

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1408266209' post='2528382']
BTW - what is your settings (I really [i]don't[/i] like the contour switch)?
[/quote]

A Talkbass member (FDeck) ran an RTA on his and found that the settings closest to flat are as follows (the settings are expressed in clock numbers);

Contour = Off
Treble = 10:00
Hi Mid = 2:00
Low Mid = 1:00
Bass = 10:00

I don't run mine like this, but it's as good a starting point as any. I like mine with similar settings but the treble boosted to around 12 o'clock to add some definition to my flatwound-strung bass. At low volumes I'll often boost the bass a little, though if I'm trying to get the maximum juice from a small cab I'll tend to keep the bass low and boost the low mids instead. The contour switch is flattering when playing alone in my living room but I don't like the way that sound works with a band. And I'm not sure the amp really needs any more mid-scoop, since it's already boosting bass and treble and cutting mids with the contour off and all the knobs at noon.