Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic set up

drt129

Hi guys

First time here on Basschat - just wanted to share experience with my TC set up:

RH450 head + RS210 (combo)
RS210 extension cab

I absolutely love the tone range and versatility with these amps but am finding that I am struggling a bit with headroom volumewise as I am driving them pretty hard to get a good punch out of them as a backline, even on medium sized pub gigs.

I am not competing with particulary loud players or playing aggressive styles, I just seem to find that dialling past 12 o'clock on the main volume seems to have little to no affect if i need that extra boost.

I have the EQ dialled relatively flat, small bass boost and cut to the mids with the gain around 10 oclock. I have not set any Spectra comp settings and the preset volume is pretty maxed out.

I love having the option of just the combo for rehearsals and then building the stack for gigs. Whilst the extension is making a difference, it somehow still feels not enough.

Am looking at various configurations to help give my sound that extra depth and volume such as swapping in a 212 as the extension but would appreciate any advice on the matter if anyone has had similar experiences

Any further info I may have missed out, let me know!

Thanks

First off... Welcome to BC.

I use my RH450 with 2x12" cabs.
I gig with the 'preset' level dialled down to about 10 o'clock, the EQ fairly flat and the 'master' also on about 10 o'clock.
..... yours with 4x10" should be seriously loud!

Are you sure that you have the preset 'pretty much maxed'?

I'm a bit of a convert to TC Electronic amps. I own the BH500 and have tried the RH450 and I really love the tone AND the volume on them.

I don't know if your bass is passive or active, but I would suggest that, if you want more volume from your settings, set the Tube Tone at 12 o'clock, the Spectracomp at at least 12 and make sure the Gain dial is less than your volume.

I'd leave all the EQ dials flat. However, if you DO want to change your EQ, try cutting the Highs and boost the Lo Mids. All depends if you have an Active EQ bass, try tweaking that first.

All I will say is if you are playing Funk or Jazz, then these suggestions probably won't work! :-S ;-)

When I had a TC Classic 450, I had most of the eq flat, except a slight cut in low-mids. Gain on 7, Spectracomp & Tubetone both on about 3 or 4. Never needed the volume on more than 4, and this was in a punk band doing Clash/.Pistols etc, so not quiet. I`d look at upping the Gain and reducing Volume first off, then dropping lows & highs and adding the low-mids as recommended. Will probably sound rotten on its own but I`ve found that these sounds really translate well in the mix. The Spectracomp and Tubetone can also help add depth, set each to 2 or 3, nothing more. It should bulk the sound out nicely.

I don't know how TC input gain works, but with Markbass you set it as high as possible without overloading the input stage. So, turn gain up until it clips when you play hard, then back it off.
With my MB amp I was setting it at 12 o'clock just as a default, recently I realised I could set gain to 1 o'clock without clipping. The difference in volume is huge! I now set the master at 10 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock. Maybe worth a try pushing the gain a little?

Does the gain knob on these bring in any overdrive? If it does, to cut through, I would keep my gain lower than volume on the preamp. I would also get rid of the mid cut. I had the very same problem with my Streamliner, had a great sound that I liked to play around with but that sound didn't work when up against three guitars.

The optimum gain on these amps is set pretty much like other amps, i.e:
Turn up The Gain control until the clip light comes on, then slowly back it off until it barely flickers when you play really hard.
Then adjust the Master to suit.

Drive or Grit should only be achieved by using the Tubetone control, not by overdriving the pre-amp.

These amps are seriously loud.... I have had to turn down the preset levels just to avoid the jump in output between 0 and 2 on the Master.