Why become a member? ×

Hartke 'start-up' issue

Turk

I've had the same Hartke 'Model 2000' (200w) head for about 25 years without an issue, but it's now developed a problem on initial start-up. Everything appears to be ok (LED on, fan running), but no sound. [size=4]If I turn it off and on again, it works fine. [/size]

Any ideas ?

[size=4]It has an 'anti-thump/soft start' feature where there's a couple of seconds delay before it's fully operating, and I'm wondering if this may be the area to look at ? [/size]

Cheers.
[size=4] [/size]

The anti thump mechanism works around a relay, so there's a chance that it's sticking (they don't last forever) - you should hear a little 'click' a few seconds after switch on? That's the relay firing.

However, before you grab your screwdriver there are a few other areas where the problem could be coming from.

1) Intermittent short in your head -> speaker cable.
Take it apart and look carefully - even one loose strand of copper wire could cause a problem.
Easiest test is to substitute the lead with another one.

2) Tarnished Send\Return socket(s)
These are switched and not always reliable. Try linking the Send and Return sockets together with a spare guitar lead.

HTH

Thanks for the input.

No 'Send/Return' sockets, and speaker cables already checked.
The 'anti-thump' relay sticking makes sense. Pretty sure I've not heard a 'click' when it fails to start, and when a second attempt is needed, as soon as I hear the click I know it's good to go.

Cheers.

Ah right. :)

Bearing in mind that not seeing the amp means that this has to be a 'best guess', it's almost certainly a faulty relay.

If you have trouble finding the same one then Korg UK are the UK distributors and hold spares.

The Spares Department can be reached on 01908 304670.