Why become a member? ×

Fixing superficial damage

AndyBass

My bass took a tumble a while back and came off with a bit of a battle scar and some scuffs. Just wondering whether anyone knows of anything/anyone that can make it beeyootiful again? I keep thinking of that old Yellow Pages ad, where the kid scratched his parents' table while they were on holiday and he got a French polisher round...Anyway, any ideas? Or should I just make up a cooler story about how it happened?

How superficial? Most hardware shops - the independents certainly - will stock a pack of four different shaded wax crayons for rubbing into scratches and scuffs. They make quite a good, tho not perfect, repair. Unfortunately if you're taking a great unwieldy monster around to gigs there's bound to be a bit of distress now and again, however carefully you treat it.

From the pic it looks like you could steam that out, personally I have given up now and waiting for it to looked well loved instead, my wife dropped the hoover up mine to give it its first scuff similar to yours, I wasn't happy then threw the lighting tripod at it while setting up at its very first proper gig! That resulted in a touch up using a laminate floor repair pen from the pound shop :D

By the looks of the white edging it's probably a laminate, in which case steam will probably do more harm than good. A ding like that can be filled with a shellac stick or wax filler as used by furniture restorers, but in all honesty, it doesn't look so bad to me - better a honest scratch than an obvious repair...