Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky flatwounds

I've just put a 45-130 set of these on my five string and so far I'm enjoying them. Apparently they're made for Sadowsky by LaBella but are made to their spec rather than simply being a Labella set re-badged. Mine aren't played in yet, but they tend a little more towards the old-school flatwound thing than D'Addario Chromes or Ernie Ball, but still have decent sustain and detail to them. The B-string is quite dark but workable, certainly at least as good as the Chromes B and the lower notes sound huge. They're very smoothly polished and a little less stiff feeling than Chromes of the same gauge. Using the neck pickup on my bass has a satisfying earthiness about it that's a lot of fun to play.
Has anyone else tried these and what did you think of them? I'm curious about how they compare to the regular LaBellas too - though I'm not going to try any more strings in the near future as I want to see how these settle in over a few months. I haven't seen much mention of these on Basschat, though I guess that could be because you have to order them from the US.

My favourite flats too, been playing a set for a few years now & they just get better. Bassbod turned me on to them :) ...a good halfway house between Labellas & Chromes. More low mids than Chromes & punchier than Labellas, but they still have plenty of thump. Lovely to play too.

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1407961756' post='2525875']
My favourite flats too, been playing a set for a few years now & they just get better. Bassbod turned me on to them :) ...a good halfway house between Labellas & Chromes. More low mids than Chromes & punchier than Labellas, but they still have plenty of thump. Lovely to play too.
[/quote]

The same set for a few years? If mine go for that long I'll be pleased!