Why become a member? ×

Sei Flamboyant

rodacademy

Love the headless versions but not a fan of the head stocks. Spent hours drooling over them when they were reviewed in some guitar mag years n years ago.

A singlecut.headless would definitely float my boat

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1408183546' post='2527858']
Guys
Please expand on the stringers in the neck, why carbon?? Strength or twisting or both? Does it play with the sound too?
[/quote]

Strength mainly. A lot of Martin's customers tend to want quite slim necks. When I went to see him to spec up my Sei Bass I found the necks on most of the instruments currently in production far to shallow for my tastes and had him beef mine up to dimensions closer to that of my Gus and Overwater basses, and consequently mine doesn't have any re-enfrocement in the neck besides the truss rod. The stringers in the neck will make it more rigid which in turn affects the envelope of the string and therefore it does make some difference to the sound.

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1408192999' post='2527982']
Oh man! You think you have an idea of what u want but the possibilities are endless!
I'm sure the guys will guide me through!
[/quote]

Just talk to Martin. It's all you need to do. Plus he's in a shop full of basses that you can try to see what you like and don't like.

My only criticism of the offset flamboyant is that it doesn't sit on the lap well - in fact it easily slips of the leg because the lower horn is too small. I did ask Martin if he would consider curving the horn outwards (like a CT or F bass) but he was very reluctant to change any aspect of the design. It's good on the strap, though.

Here's my 2 Seis.

[URL=http://s62.photobucket.com/user/sevenstringbassist/media/imagejpg1_zpse4b22f88.jpg.html][IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/sevenstringbassist/imagejpg1_zpse4b22f88.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The 7, nicknamed "Jezebel" was made for me. The 6 fretless, nicknamed "Wimpy" came from The Gallery. I wanted a Sei for 12 years before I ordered one. Just amazing basses.

The whole process was great, but getting to the end was really nerve-wracking. I just wanted to see the darn thing! No doubt you'll be overjoyed with your bass.

Edited by 7string

• 2 weeks later...