Why become a member? ×

Sei Flamboyant

rodacademy

Had my Sei Flamboyant singlecut 5 for 11 years now. It's a wonderful bass, and I shall never be parted from it. :) I've also owned 3 other Seis over the years, and they've all been brilliant instruments. Three of the four Seis I've had have been custom builds.

Martin has been building basses at The Gallery for 22 years, and knows pretty much all there is to know about it. It pays to do your homework though, come prepared with ideas about neck dimensions, possible wood combinations and maybe some recordings of bass tones you like or might be trying to recreate. If he suggests something you hadn't thought of regarding tone or feel, take his advice - he knows his s**t. :)

Then comes the painful bit - the 12-18-month wait... but it'll be worth it. :D

Here's mine:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/SeiFront.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/SeiBody2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/SeiLEDs.jpg[/IMG]

You don't need to know everything - that's what Martin is there for. I went along with a colour scheme and a sound that I wanted and Martin did the rest. Neck measurements came from my favourite bass and pickup choices from playing some other instruments at the gallery. Simple.

Nice looking bass BigRedX. What EQ is that you have there?

If I were spec'ing one like mine I would, I think, only change only a very few things. Firstly black hardware and secondly, although I do like the Schack EQ, I would go for an ACG filter EQ as they work wonderfully well with a fretless bass. I might also consider the positioning of the upper horn strap button as I'm not convinced that it's in the best place.

Edited by ead

I had mine made when he worked out of Queens Park.
I was close enough to pay monthly visits and he didn't have
much of a headed bass template at the time so we had to discuss
headstock designs..
I would go with tried and tested wood combinations as they work.

Neck shape is critical so if you go very thin, I'd have graphite stringers, just in case...
Try to get as much thought about what you want as early into the build as possible.

Good luck

Edited by JTUK

I used to covet a Flamboyant six string headless I saw once. I have always loved the shape of the body these basses but never liked the headstocks so the headless was perfect for me. Never going to have the money for one, though, so game over. I am happy with my Wal and rarely play electric on gigs now (given the choice, everyone prefers the double bass in Jazz and I mostly play Jazz so that's that).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1408003197' post='2526098']
Thanks! It's an ACG EQ01 - only pre-amp worth considering IMO and excellent for fretless basses.
[/quote]

I did wonder whether it was an ACG (or possibly the East U Retro Deluxe). I have the EQ03 withe the active / passive tone in my fretless ACG so definitely with you on the whole EQ0X thing!

Edited by ead

I've owned five Sei basses, Original, Flamboyant, Jazz, Custom and back to Original again.

The Flamboyant has always looked the prettiest to me but I struggled a little with the body shape and could never quite get it to sit comfortably on a strap.

The Original I now have is probably my favourite in terms of playability but I'm afraid it's on its way out soon. I developed a nasty shoulder problem last year and hoped this bass would really help as It weighs next to nothing, about 6.5lbs only. However the design of the body throws the neck out to the left on a strap (because of where the upper horn strap button sits) and my shoulder problem is as more about stretching than carrying weight and the reach to first three frets is uncomfortable after even quite short periods.

Such a shame as it's a cracking bass :(

Sei is definitely one of those brands that I keep buying because I love the looks of them (Ziggy now has my old Flamboyant and it's a thing of great beauty) but then selling and looking back wistfully. . .

hi Ro
Its a shame u arnt nearer essex as u could come try my four.i have a six and four headless flamboyants .
and a six and a five headed flamboyants.
4 string headless,ebony board, has a u retro and kent armstrong pups this is a beast tonally very very powerfull. superlight .
6 string headless ,ebony board ,shack pre bartolini pups , again a beast but a bit more agressive sounding. (this has coil tap swicthes on each pick up but i dont use them)
5 string headed flamboyant ,Maple board, shack pre,bartolinis and peizo , this is my main bass no other bass does it for me like this one does (electrics need a service) realy like the maple neck.
6 string headed flamboyant , Maple board , acg 1 pre i think, kent armstrongs i think , deeper neck profile than my headless six , real beutiful tone but the acg not great for a rock covers band live situation.

they are alll diffferent but ive been very lucky that i like playing them all.
i find the maple necks nicer to my ear and love the brightness of them.
i tried an offset flamboyant and it didnt quite work for me, really love martins jazz basses too.
headless basses are actually the way to go but fashion dictates a bit what we are drawn to.
i fancy getting martin to make a single cut headless 5 for me :-)

im sooon gonna be taking them all to martin to overhaul the lot.
my dream is to get a fretless sei and a 5 string headless and a four string headed:-)
then id literally have one of each :-)
if i ever become famous id endorse sei basses.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125776]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125777]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125776]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125778]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125780]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125779]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125780]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:125781]

Question for you cognoscenti please: What's the difference between a 'standard' Flamboyant and and Offset Flamboyant? Couldn't find anything on the website about this.

Edited by ead

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1408087050' post='2526887']
Question for you cognoscenti please: What's the difference between a 'standard' Flamboyant and and Offset Flamboyant? Couldn't find anything on the website about this.
[/quote]

This is a regular Flamboyant:

... and this is an offset one:

The "waist" of the bass is offset forward, you can see it most in the top bout. It's OK, but I like the non-offset one better. :)

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1408087050' post='2526887']
[/quote]

The offset shape also allows a longer fingerboard with excellent access all the way up to the end.

I had a 'standard' Flamboyant fretted 5er for a while some years back. It was absolutely stunning, there were a couple of things I didn't get on with but on reflection they could have been sorted out with a bit of time and trouble, and I rather wish I hadn't sold it.

Edited by UglyDog