Why become a member? ×

Preamp v Amp

kedo

[size=5]I have a Mini CMD 121P, with a New York extension and mainly play double bass. I have had to have the power amp part of the Markbass combo replace twice under warranty, and am concerned that it may be something I'm doing wrong that has caused the faults. The double bass with the Shadow SH950 seems to produce a really powerful sound even without a preamp. Much more powerful than my passive P bass. Maybe I've been overdriving it. The occasional howl of loud feedback probably doesn't help.

I understand that bass amps such as the Markbass are generally designed with an input resistance to suit a bass guitar, and it is generally recommended that some sort of preamp is required to balance the input when used for double bass. I have bought a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp for this reason, and am looking for some experienced advice on how to set up in order to get the best sound.

Without a preamp, does that mean that my double bass delivers a lower than ideal signal to the Markbass, and that a preamp is required to boost it, or is it the other way round, with the pickup overloading the amp, requiring a preamp to reduce it?

I have been advised to play with the preamp gain on the amplifier set as high as possible without the clipping light activating, but this sounds terrible when using the Fishman preamp, and has to be reduced to about 12 O'clock on the amplifier.

I find the relationship between the Markbass and preamp confusing. When using the preamp, I am faced with two sets of EQ, two sets of gains, one on the amplifier and one on the preamp, and two volume controls, one on the amplifier and one on the preamp. I am confused about this, and fiddle between the two, trying to get a good DB sound.[/size]

[size=3][size=5]Could anyone advise me as to how to set the controls on the amp when used in conjunction with the Fishman preamp so that I can control my sound from the Fishman. Some people say the amp controls should be flat, but does this mean all at 12 O'clock? I've tried that and it sounds terrible. It seems that I need a little adjustment on the amplifier EQ before I can start to work from the preamp. [/size][/size]

[size=3][size=5]I suppose what I find most confusing is the relationship between the two gain and two volume controls. I am also concerned that the power amp is not damaged again.[/size][/size]

[size=3][size=5]Can any experienced players out there advise?[/size][/size]

Edited by kedo

When i used a Fishman preamp i didn't plug into my amps input but plugged into the effects return socket,this bypasses the amplifiers pre amp & eq section going instead straight to the main power amplifier.
So all my tone shaping was done with the Fishman & i found it much easier to get a good sound.

I think you are over complicating it. Start with the principle that you want to get the best signal at all points in the process. Set your amp eq flat and your preamp eq flat and start there. Mess about with the preamp first and then, if you want more control, tweak the amp. The idea is to get a decent pickup sound THEN a decent pre-amp sound and THEN a decent amp sound in that order. Otherwise you are working on the basis of amplufying a crap pick up sound snd a crap pre-amp sound before trying to get the amp to work it's magic. It's illogical. Start the other way around.

I use main going into the main amp input (I have a GK MB200 combo). I set the amp EQ flat and tweak the graphic on the Fishman, I also set the input gain on the Fishman to below the clipping level and turn the volume up as required. All of this works in theory. But when I'm with my loud Blues band I generally just use the EQ to get to a level where I can hear myself without any feedback.

Just seen Bilbo's reply after typing this - What he said!

Edited by bassfunk

As already suggested, set everything 'flat' to start. I'd suggest setting the level on the Fishman to about 50% whilst your amps input gain is at zero. Gradually increase your amps input gain until you get a satisfactory signal (keep master gain low for monitoring).