Why become a member? ×

Bass collection bass pickup replacement. Recommendations?

Skinnyman

I just bought an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection bass off of FleaBay for not a lot of money. Nice...

The seller just described it as a "bass guitar" and I assumed from the pics that it would be the entry-level, passive bass. Turns out to be active which implies it's a 310 although it looks like the pickups have been swapped so the active circuitry may be non-original.

It's in pretty good nick, nothing that a good clean and setup won't fix, but the electrics are a bit ropey and, given that I paid next to nothing, I think it's worth replacing them.

So my question is, what with? I'm tempted to go with passive electrics (I already have an active 310) and would like to keep the p/j configuration. So I'm looking for recommendations for pickups that are good value for money and that are likely to perform well in a small but perfectly formed bass like this one.

I recently put an iron gear pickup in my strat and love it but unfortunately iron gear don't do bass pups.

I guess Wilkinson would be the obvious choice but I've no real experience with them so any recommendations, suggestions gratefully received.....

Ta

Someone has taken over from Wizard and has all the knowledge etc. Worth tracking them down as they could give you some good asvice or re-wind the stock pickups.
That said I've got 3 Bass Collections, all active and the pre-amps in all of them are pretty crap. Different pre-amp in each one. Have swopped one out out for a Bart pre-amp and that has transformed the bass. The pickups are really good and you can get a real Jazz "growl" out of it. So it might not be a pickup issue.

I've no experience of them but I keep reading very good things about Entwistle pickups, esp the PBXN and JBXN models. Complete thread here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235314-entwistle-bass-pickups/page__hl__entwistle%20pickups"]http://basschat.co.u...istle%20pickups[/url]

EDIT: I believe this is the official UK stockist http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-PickupsPlus-Store/Bass-Pickups-/_i.html?_fsub=3616628011&_sid=1021113631&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1408088833' post='2526902']
I've no experience of them but I keep reading very good things about Entwistle pickups, esp the PBXN and JBXN models. Complete thread here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/235314-entwistle-bass-pickups/page__hl__entwistle%20pickups"]http://basschat.co.u...istle%20pickups[/url]

EDIT: I believe this is the official UK stockist http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-PickupsPlus-Store/Bass-Pickups-/_i.html?_fsub=3616628011&_sid=1021113631&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
[/quote]

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll be getting a pair of entwistle pickups plus some new pots and away we go!

I've now had chance to have a proper look at this and my suspicions are confirmed. It's a lovely bass with really nasty after-market electronics. The bass itself has cleaned up nicely - fingerboard soaked up a load of fretboard oil and the frets have cleaned up nicely with a bit of elbow grease. The body has cleaned up OK. It's certainly not bad enough to strip and respray, and, one of these days, will benefit from a session with some cutting compound and a DA polisher just to get the fine scratches out.

When I've got a DA polisher, obviously.

But the wiring is a different matter altogether. Where there is any, the soldering is awful, but mostly wires are just twisted and taped, nothing is cut to length and although it kind of works, the pickups are very grotty and sound horrible.

So, Entwistle P/J pickups are ordered (well, they will be as soon as I get a price for them) as is a wiring harness from AxesRUs - I'm going to make this a passive bass and that's where the one little problem/opportunity lies.....

The bass has four holes cut through for the controls. As standard, these are for master volume, pickup blend, bass and treble EQ. The cowboy who threw the replacement electrics on this had a three way switch (pickup selector) , a volume, a tone and a small LED. In order to fit the 3-way switch, he (or she) made one of the holes bigger.

So when I've fitted the new controls (volume, volume and tone), I'll be left with a chuffing great big (ok, 12mm) hole. I could put the jack socket there - but I don't want to. Or I could just put a 12mm blanking plug in it - but that's kind of boring.

So...... any suggestions as to what I can fill it with (no sniggering at the back there)?

Bearing in mind there's now a big cavity at the back of the bass with hardly anything in it, does anyone do a sound-sensitive pulsing LED that would drive a 12mm LED? Or some kind of plug with a moulded figure on the end?

Ideas?

Edited by Skinnyman

Now that the work is finished, here's an update.

I ordered a set of Entwistle pickups. PBXN and a JBXN (Bridge). Unfortunately, Simon was away for a few days so it was a little while longer than usual to get them - for which he apologised.

I fitted them and discovered a weird fault on the J pickup. A strong signal from the E and A strings, next to nothing from the D string and virtually inaudible on the G string. I can only assume that the J pickup is in fact two separately-wound coils mounted side by side and that one of the coils had failed for some reason.

Whatever - I contacted Simon and he agreed to send me a replacement. I paid the additional postage to guarantee a Saturday (and pre-Bank Holiday) delivery and the new pickup arrived this morning.

Fitted and tested - this one works perfectly.

So now, for less than £125 all in (including the extra postage and the diesel to go collect the bass in the first place), I have a nice, clean SB310 which has set up beautifully and which has a fantastic sound.

Back of the net!

But here's something a bit odd. I now have two of these basses. One is still active with a new EQ, the other's passive as described above. They're both set up identically and they're both strung with Rotosound flats. I expect them to sound different when plugged in - which they do - but, and this is weird, they sound completely different when played unplugged. The older, active bass has a real low thump to it where the newer one is much brighter. I expect some of that is down to the fact that one set of strings is new and the other set are about 3 months old. But the difference is huge - absolutetly and fundamentally different in character.

Not that I'm objecting. I like having two basses that feel and play identically but which have such radically different tones. But it's weird that it should be so noticable even when they're unplugged.

But I am a happy boy and looking forward to trying the new bass out on Monday.

In the rain.... :-(

Final note: On first impressions, Entwistle pickups are the business. Incredible value for money and stunning sound. And I'm well impressed with AxesRus who supplied the 3-pot wiring kit. Again, great value and lightning fast service.

I'm now on the look out for a nice SGC Nanyo five string......

Edited by Skinnyman

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Skinnyman' timestamp='1408123353' post='2527405']

So when I've fitted the new controls (volume, volume and tone), I'll be left with a chuffing great big (ok, 12mm) hole. I could put the jack socket there - but I don't want to. Or I could just put a 12mm blanking plug in it - but that's kind of boring.

So...... any suggestions as to what I can fill it with (no sniggering at the back there)?

[/quote]

Webcam.

Then you can film the audience :)

What to do with the 4th hole? My Ibby SRA305 is a passive pickup bass that has an EMG EXB between the output of the pickups and the jack. The EXB is a variable scoop control that I have found most useful in gigging: buffering the output, and the ability to dial in the exact amount of scoop for straight-to-scooped, vintage-to-modern, fingerstyle flat-to-slap contour, etc.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1409667153' post='2542000']
What to do with the 4th hole? My Ibby SRA305 is a passive pickup bass that has an EMG EXB between the output of the pickups and the jack. The EXB is a variable scoop control that I have found most useful in gigging: buffering the output, and the ability to dial in the exact amount of scoop for straight-to-scooped, vintage-to-modern, fingerstyle flat-to-slap contour, etc.
[/quote]
I like that...

At the moment, I just added another, front-facing jack to complement the oddly-positioned one in the side of the bass. Weirdly, I use them equally - the front one with an L-shaped jack and when I'm plugged into the amp directly, the side one when I'm using the wireless attached to the strap.

But I like the idea of the scoop control.

Mind you, I also liked the idea of the webcam.

Someone else suggested a flickering light in there....

Might have to drill a few more holes to accommodate all these ideas.

Someone wanted sound clips of the Entwistles.

There are three: P (Neck), J (Bridge) and both. All recorded direct into Sonar with no EQ or effect and with the tone control set to about mid position.

Don't get excited - it's just a scale but should give you a sense of the sound of the Entwistles (mine are the PBXN and JBXN variants)

Edited by Skinnyman

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Resurrecting a zombie thread here....I have a SB301 that was the first "proper" bass guitar that I've owned since 1982, and it's great to play. However, by comparison with the punch of the pups on my Fernandes 5-string (the second "proper"..etc., etc.), the Nanyo pups were a bit...polite.

So after reading lots of favourable reviews, many on Basschat, I decided that Entwhistle Neo's was the way to go. After not being able to find them on their site, I contacted Entwhistle direct and Simon, who is a top bloke, sent me a P/J set. Have to praise the fast turnaround of the transaction as well, without wishing to sound all EBay-ish here.

I got PMT Romford to install them and sort out a scratchy old pot while they were doing it. When I went to collect it, I tried the bass out through an Eden 2x10" combo.

BOOM! , to quote Jurgen Klopp. Unbelievable, night-and-day difference. Fuller, more powerful and much more responsive. When I got home, straight away I broke out the TCBG250 and put the bass through its paces. What an improvement. And now I can't stop playing it.

I cannot recommend these pups highly enough. Wish they made them for 5-ers as I'd put them into the Fernandes as well.

[quote name='mangotango' timestamp='1503750119' post='3360691']
Wish they made them for 5-ers as I'd put them into the Fernandes as well.
[/quote]

If they made them for 5-ers, I'd have them in my Bass Collection 5-ers.
I put an [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Entwhistle P - Bass pickup in a friends Harley Benton short scale and it sounded awesome.[/font][/color]