Why become a member? ×

Swollen pickle vs Deluxe Bass Muff Pi

mikebass84

So the never ending (story) quest for fuzz has stuck me again! I have the chance to buy either a Swollen Pickle or a Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi (for a rather good price)

I currently use the Digitech XBD which sounds alright but I know I can do better.

I play in a Hard Rock band (music links below) so I'm looking for quite an aggressive fuzz but without loosing too much low end.
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_20479208

I have a friend who is moving to America and is selling both pedals for cheaps so he's coming over next week but in the mean time I thought I would ask for some of your experiences.

From the video clips I've seen the Swollen Pickle sounds just brutal but I shall have to spend some time with both

I found the swllen pickle very difficult to use. There are internals controls (yes, you have to open the pedal) which are necessary to tweak for it to sound great on bass. On top of that, I always found very hard to "find back" a tones liked using only the outside controls, because they all affect each others a lot. Of course you might be much more persevering than me, but I like pedals which are easy to dial in.

[quote name='Lebowsky' timestamp='1408108353' post='2527212']
I found the swllen pickle very difficult to use. There are internals controls (yes, you have to open the pedal) which are necessary to tweak for it to sound great on bass. On top of that, I always found very hard to "find back" a tones liked using only the outside controls, because they all affect each others a lot. Of course you might be much more persevering than me, but I like pedals which are easy to dial in.
[/quote]

That would put me off too, I almost pulled the trigger on a recent revision of the SP that had all the controls external but too many things to tweak is a nightmare for me, I'm too stupid/indecisive :P

Swollen Pickle hands down.

Yes, it has a ton of controls (internals too) but once you know what they do you can get pretty amazing sounds out of it and the low end on tap is an added bonus.

I have various "muffs" and that mid scoop thing just does not work live.

A little off topic but my favourite fuzz atm is the Chunk Systems - Brown Dog. Simple and versatile.

Cheers

In a heavy band...... Check out the cog effects grand tarkin. I have had both the ehx muff and the pickle,but the tarkin has a mids knob and a blend, so it is easy to have a thunderous filthy sound yet still cut in the mix.
I'm using a civil war clone at the moment, but for heavy songs the tarkin is awsome and can't be beat! ( imo of course).

Edited by danbowskill

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the Dirty Donny edition of the Swollen Pickle?

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dirty-donny-swollen-pickle

It loses one of the internal controls but has the remaining internal controls now on the outside, plus the pedal is smaller. Anyone know what that missing control is and if it makes a difference to bass use?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1409847061' post='2543923']

It loses one of the internal controls but has the remaining internal controls now on the outside, plus the pedal is smaller. Anyone know what that missing control is and if it makes a difference to bass use?
[/quote]

From the looks of it it's this
Voice sets the intensity of the external scoop control from light to heavy mid cut

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1409847061' post='2543923']

[/quote]

I have had all three of the Way Huge Fuzz pedals from Dunlop to try. Whilst it had the least controls, the sound of the Havalina fuzz was just incredible. I quite liked the size and ease of adjustment of the Dirty Donny swollen pickle.