Why become a member? ×

J-Retro owners - Help! - Which wireless do you use?

MoJoKe

OK, so I have a lovely new Lakland JO5, which I've fitted with a J-retro.

A couple of days ago I installed and tested it plugged directly into my MarkBass CMD151p combo, and then spent several happy hours exploring its amazing tone capabilities (I've posted about this elsewhere!)

Last night I had my first gig, and set up my standard stage rig, including my trusty old Nady 201 wireless, which has never given me an ounce of trouble with any bass I have ever owned.

However, as soon as I plugged in my JO5 and turned on the transmitter the bass squealed at high frequency as though I was standing too close to the tweeter in the cabinet. Backing away didn't help, it was still squealing at over 50 paces.... not painfully loud like feedback, but disturbing!

I have spoken to John East, who was very helpful and suggested the preamp may be picking up some RF and converting it to audio, but clearly he is not responsible for my very old wireless system, which is almost certainly the cause of the problem!

Has anyone else had this issue? if not, which wireless system are you using, as maybe after 30 years it it time to replace the Nady!!!!

I have a U-retro pre-amp in my Jazz bass special, not the same but very similar. I gig it using a stageClix pack wireless system and have no problems at all. As the previous poster said they do have quite a high output but that hasn't ever troubled my wireless kit.......maybe it's time to change, newer digital wireless systems are miles better for bass use.

Used mine with a Thomann wireless - cheapest thing around. It was fine. Sorry it's not much help. You could try reducing the output from the pre a bit (I think there's a couple of micro pots inside the j-retro to adjust the level from each pickup. I had to turn mine down quite a bit from how it arrived, due to high output pickups.

All sound words, thanks guys, and yes, I think the Nady is probably no longer legal.

I spent the morning yesterday with my nephew, Paddy, who has been using a Line6 G30 for a while both with basses and guitars with no problems, to try out, test and compare to the Nady. This morning I ordered one!

The J-Retro was supplied with both gain trim pots turned to their lowest setting. I did tweak them to see what affect they had, and it made the already massive output even massiver! The gain with them both to minimum is definitely still higher than the preamp output of my 55-02!