Why become a member? ×

Chorus Pedals: Thoughts and opinions?

Dave_the_bass

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1408199539' post='2528029']
Don't ignore the EHX Neo Clone and Small Clone, both sound great. I sat down for two hours in Absolute music with there entire range of chorus pedals and although I had a budget of upto 200 quid I walked away with the Neo as it had the sound I wanted with min fuss . I have a TC combo with tone print and love the chorus on that too but I still think the Clone sounds best.
[/quote]

I have had the boss chorus, and didnt get on with it. Just sounded pants to my ears when everyone else was in the mix.

But the EHX Small Clone is an awesome chorus pedal. No Fuss, one big dial on it. For cheap as chips. Never leave home without it.

Another vote for the EHX Small Clone/Nano Clone/Neo Clone.

If you want retro looks, the "big box" steel Small Clone is the one to go for. And no, I won't sell you mine. :D The last version of the big box reissues was best IMO, the full retro look, but with true bypass switching. I used to have terrible problems with bleed on a previous version that wasn't true bypass (worse on an older Small Stone).

I had a Nano Clone as a backup for a while, very nice sounding pedal, but not quite as nice sounding as the Small Clone for some reason. Sold it when I had a clear out of gear a few years back.

Haven't tried or heard the Neo Clone, but would expect it to be in the same sonic ball park as the Small & Nano Clones.

Don't Behringer make a plastic bodied clone of the "big box" Small Clone?

I've finally settled on a NUX Modcore and despite being digital it's actually very good. The 'deluxe' setting seems to add more bottom end, and it's a great phaser/flanger/rotary/tremolo unit too. I'll see about adding some soundclips later on this week. They can be had cheap as chips too.

Guest FretNoMore

If you don't like the traditional wobbly chorus sound maybe you would like the detune mode of the Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus, it's a bit like a phaser sound without the changing phase, so to speak.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1408460565' post='2530405']
Chorus pedals and Bass are a sound that I really dislike, I realise that this doesn't help your quest.
[/quote]

I must confess, I rarely;y use a chorus as a 'chorus' pedal. I prefer a 'wobblier' sort of sound than a slight detune style thingy.

From looking at various videos of the suggested pedals I'm really keen to try out that tech 21. The only place I can find in the uk that has them in stock is effects power supplies.

Looks like it'll have to wait a month until I'm down in that there London and I can go and try it out.

I really love chorus on bass. I've used it for years. Haven't got any need for it in my current band but if i could then i would. A nice subtle chorus sound really does liven up your tone.

I've used: Yamaha SPX-90II rack, Roland GP16 rack, Boss CEB-3 pedal, Boss CH-1 pedal, Digitech Multi Chorus pedal and am currently using the MXR ZW38 black label pedal. My favourite was definitely the CEB-3 but i'm loving the MXR ZW38 for it at the moment

• 3 weeks later...
Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1408197915' post='2528017']
I use a TC Corona. It's very versatile, I'd be massively surprised if you couldn't get the sound that you wanted from it.
[/quote]

I use this pedal. I'm not *in love* with it, but it is nice and versitile. The clean blend is a good feature. I've heard guys use it to get great sounds. I think I just need more time finding the right settings.

I've hardly ever used in a live situation it but my AnalogMan chorus is pretty good imho.

As others have said though, I find chorus on bass does tend to get lost in the mix unless you have a passage where bass can be fairly prominent. Oh yes, and the effect is usually more noticeable and pronounced with a more treble sound.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1408463680' post='2530455']
I must confess, I rarely;y use a chorus as a 'chorus' pedal. I prefer a 'wobblier' sort of sound than a slight detune style thingy.[/quote]

I like super-wobble as a momentary effect, currently using the Pitch Vibrato patch on my M9 for it, but the TC Electronic 'Shaker' would be a good single-pedal alternative. Great for Bernie Worrell style nerdy modulation.

If you just want a simple but amazing sounding Chorus pedal try a Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, not the new ones you need to get the old metal18V model from the 90's. These are really cheap, rare(ish) you have to wait for a bit for one to come up. But really incredible sound and really simple to control, just 2 knobs. Best bang for your buck chorus pedal in my opinion but you have to be patient for the right model to come up. I have also just splashed a load of dosh on a strymon mobius and i'm starting to move into the world of MIDI so can actually make use of the insane amount of effects on this pedal. Very versatile and have some great sounds from it already :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCFxqFdFz0

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1410957247' post='2555015']
If you just want a simple but amazing sounding Chorus pedal try a Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, not the new ones you need to get the old metal18V model from the 90's. These are really cheap, rare(ish) you have to wait for a bit for one to come up. But really incredible sound and really simple to control, just 2 knobs. Best bang for your buck chorus pedal in my opinion but you have to be patient for the right model to come up. I have also just splashed a load of dosh on a strymon mobius and i'm starting to move into the world of MIDI so can actually make use of the insane amount of effects on this pedal. Very versatile and have some great sounds from it already :)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCFxqFdFz0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=VHCFxqFdFz0[/url]
[/quote]

How do you power it ?

I use a dedicated 18V Dunlop power supply think it cost me either £15 or £20 something like that, but if you have one of the fancier power supplies you can use their high voltage outputs. Obviously if you're looking for a cheap option having to fork out on a new power supply doesn't help, but i picked up my one for about £30-35 as they're quite unknown, and the newer Danelectro pedals don't have a very good rep so there aren't many people looking for them.