Why become a member? ×

Inexpensive transparent DI / headphone box

Greggo

Can anyone recommend a decent inexpensive and simple DI / headphone practice type of di box.I'm aware of the bdi21 but I'm thinking simpler than that ,just basic bass middle and treble controls which doesn't inflict its own sound like I've heard the BDI / sansamp style pedals do.

As a kind of example of what I'm after, imagine the headphone output of a practice amp but without the amp!

Thanks

Edited by Greggo

I use a small Mackie VLZ402 mixer for that purpose, however, it only has bass and treble controls. Not exactly cheap either, and you'll need a mixer which accepts DI. I think you'll find it difficult to find something with bass/middle/treble, headphone output and a 'clean' sound for low cost. This takes you into the bass headphone amp territory, none of which are cheap and some which add their own character, which you don't want. I also use a Phil Jones Bass Buddy, which again is clean sounding and has a 5 band graphic. These are unfortunately expensive nowadays.

Hope someone can throw in some alternatives to consider.

Tricky thing to do on the cheap.

I've not tried one but this thing is a cheap headphone amp, it has no tone controls but you could put a cheap graphic eq pedal before it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400714349538?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I use a Nux PG-1. It's got a few more bells and whistles (built in effects/tuner) than you seem to be after, and no EQ but does the job ok if it's just for playing along with stuff for quiet headphone practice purposes. Probably not great for decent quality recording etc but then I think you can find them for about £25, so can't expect much. This is what it is:-

[url="http://www.djmmusic.com/p-4581-nux-portable-guitar-effects-pedal.aspx?gclid=CL7pgrbznMACFabMtAodk2cA7g"]http://www.djmmusic.com/p-4581-nux-portable-guitar-effects-pedal.aspx?gclid=CL7pgrbznMACFabMtAodk2cA7g[/url]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1408372009' post='2529524']

Depending how cheap "cheap" needs to be the Zoom B3 is an excellent piece of kit (I use mine for headphone practice).
[/quote]

Ditto. Brilliant. Built in looper, rhythm box. Stunning value provided it meets your definition of "cheap"...