Why become a member? ×

DI box or not?

martthebass

I'm very much a newbie to full PA without backline but it looks like that is the way my current band is going. In the past if ive being going into a house PA I've usually just DI'd from my LM3 which seems to work well enough. Question is would I be better off buying a Sansamp or the like? It wouldnt really be a matter of space as the LM3 is in my kit bag anyway so I wouldn't want to drop £200 or so if there is no need.

LM3 is a little more versatile obviously as it can power a monitor for you with pre D.I EQ should there be a cab available.
Sansamp will sound fine, and weigh less than an LM3 but isn't an amp in an emergency.
So, you don't need to drop £200 until you get bored carrying around an amp with a d.i on it, rather than a d.i. with some EQ on it.
Um..

If you like the sound from your LM3 stick with what you`re doing - if safe to do so without a cab attached. Getting a DI/preamp type pedal I`d only suggest if you wanted a different sound than you can get with the LM3.

Saying that however, the Zoom B3 has LM3 amp-modelling on it, as well as tuner, DI, plus many other effects so you could really make your set-up easy with that. I used it for a good while, with the amp-modelling (using the LM3) and it was very good.

I think it's always worth having a DI box anyway, whether you use it or not.They always come in handy. There shouldn't be any problems with using your amp,though.
I'd also be wary of going without backline unless I was using in ear monitors. In those situations I either use my Ashdown
MiBass (or PiBass), Line 6 Bass Pod XT or a Sadowsky Di/Preamp just so I have a little bit more control. However, a good
passive DI will do the job great. I always carry at least one DI box with me.