Why become a member? ×

Mark bass tube 800 - am I destroying my amp?? HELP!

JamesFlashG

Hi looking for some advice, I am playing a bunch of gigs this week with a touring band in a style I do normally play, rock. I require a small amount distortion on my sound but nothing over the top. The mark bass tube 800 is a hybrid amp with a tube blend able pre amp. I have been adding grit to my sound by selecting the mix knob all the way on tube and turning the gain up until I get some light to medium clipping whilst playing my hardest on the strings. It is creating a good sound for what I need but as it is not a full tube amp I am worried I shroud not be doing this and will damage the tube pre amp. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1408277356' post='2528504']
unless your running the master volume up high which from knowing how loud the 500w version of this head was i doubt you are, i would think that you will be just fine.

andy
[/quote]
What he said. I find I have to crank the gain pretty high on my Genz Benz head to get the preamp to overdrive on loud notes, but that is minimal compared to the kind of overdriving that valves are subjected to in guitar amps!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408276652' post='2528496']
Yes, preamp tubes are very robust in general and Markbass amps are bulletproof, so it's very unlikely you will have a problem. :) Rock on. \m/
[/quote]

So robust in fact that the MiG-25 aircraft employed them in its avionics system giving it a powerful radar and resistance to electromagnetic pulse damage from nuclear explosions... that's valves not Markbass amps obviously :lol:

Edited by HowieBass

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1408277356' post='2528504']
unless your running the master volume up high which from knowing how loud the 500w version of this head was i doubt you are, i would think that you will be just fine.

andy
[/quote]

Agree, the 500w is very loud, even with a single 8ohm 410 - can`t see any way the 800w version would need to be pushed on master volume.

Ok good to hear thanks for your help guys, if continue to play with these guys I will most Likly invest in some kind of distortion pedal for abit of added grit :D. Just wanted to check I wasn't damaging my equipment! And yes it puts out plenty of db running it through barefaced super midget sounds buttery clean at loud volumes ;)