Why become a member? ×

In-Person Lessons and Learning Online

Samfordia

I've been playing for a couple of months now and I enjoy it so very much that it actually makes me happy. All I can do at the moment is successfully read tabs for songs that I already know and have fun playing them. I learnt one blues scale that I found somewhere and from that I came up with quite a few of my own basslines, I tend to be content for most of the time with making my own stuff up.

I realise that I need to further my understanding of theory and how to go about reading music. One day I hope to play with others in a band setting but won't be able to do that until I properly get down to furthering myself and understanding what it is I am doing.

In a perfect world I would find a teacher somewhere and have a lesson a week at the least but realistically this would be way too expensive. I have a lot of spare time and would ideally like to be taught in person as this would probably keep me on track and give me confidence knowing that I was doing things right.

If any kind of tuition fee is out of my reach then what are the alternatives? Is there a site that can assist me or a place where I could learn all of these things? I am aware of Scott's Bass Lessons but for some reason I found him to be something of a turn off. I think it may have been his many over-familiar emails and overuse of smilies :$

I recently bought a book that seems to be pretty good. It starts of with reading music and technique but I haven't totally gotten into it yet as I've only had it for a short time.

I'm not entirely sure what I expect in reply. Perhaps just a point in the right direction. Perhaps advice on exactly what it is I should be starting with.

Have a look at http://how-to-play-bass.com and his youTube channel. It is mostly based around progressing through learning songs, so maybe not what you want if you just enjoy making up your own stuff.
There is a free monthly eZine and a subscription weekly one, where you get transcriptions for a couple of songs a week and whatever column he is writing at the time (sight reading, learning the blues, bass for beginners, walking bass lines etc). I *think* that subscribing also gives you access to some of the courses he has written (like Bass for beginners, Blues Bass).

Have you considered Skype lessons ? Might work out cheaper than in person ones. IMO a half a dozen or so lessons would get you off to a good start.

In the absence of a teacher, I would recommend this web site : [url="http://www.studybass.com"]http://www.studybass.com[/url]
The good thing about it is that the lessons are in chronological order, i.e. each one builds on what went before it, so there are no gaps in the learning process. The best thing would be to start at the beginning and work slowly through the lessons.

FWIW, here is my advice as to what you should be concentrating on at this time :

1). Good/safe technique. This will not only have you playing to the best of your potential, but will help to avoid any injury problems that could arise later on, through bad technique. In a nut shell, try to keep both wrists as straight as possible. Search You Tube for L/H & R/H technique. Also check out the "Floating Thumb" technique.

2). Learn where all the notes are on the fret board. Learn about intervals.

3). Learn the Major, Minor, and Pentatonic scales for a start. Just as important is to learn about [i]CHORD TONES[/i] and how these are derived from scales. It is these chord tones that the bassist will play 90% of the time. Here is a link from the "Study Bass" site linked above, that deals with the importance of chord tones. [url="http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-chord-patterns/chord-tones-are-primary/"]http://www.studybass...es-are-primary/[/url] Later, when you are comfortable with chord tones, you can move on to inversions.

4). Finally, while tabs are OK up to a point, dont become too dependent on them. Develop your ear by listening to songs and trying to work out the bass lines yourself. You say you are happy making your own stuff up, so that's a great way to start.

Most, if not all of this stuff is in the "Study Bass" site.

Hope this goes some way towards pointing you in the right direction. :)

Edited by Coilte

You can learn on your own with online lessons or with books, but I'd still recommend at least a few lessons. If, for example,
you are are learning to read it is a big help to have someone who will tell you if you are playing something wrong.If you're
going it alone it can be easy to make mistakes and let them slide until the mistake become ingrained and harder to correct.
Finding a teacher will help you get the basics down correctly which will make it easier for you to study more on your own.
There are some really good online lessons but there is also a lot of very dodgy information and unfortunately there is no
sh*t filter.

Some marvellous replies, thank you.

I have bookmarked the links provided and will work through the advice given when I get a chance later.

I'm thinking you may be right about getting some lessons in, at least at first. I wouldn't want to mess myself up by wrongly learning something and never realising. From what I have seen one hour lessons range from £15 - £30. Usually with the first lesson free. Perhaps I should visit every single tutor just the once! But really, finding the right one would be great.

[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1408373855' post='2529551']
finding the right one would be great.
[/quote]

Very true. Finding not just a teacher who knows his/her stuff, but one who can convey the information in an easy to understand way, is always hard to find, but worth the effort in the long run.

Just be sure to get a [u]bass[/u] teacher, rather than a guitarist who teaches bass on the side. My personal experiences with the latter, have been less than satisfactory.

You don't need to visit every teacher, you can easily get an idea of them with just a call.Ask questions and
see if they know what they are talking about and can actually teach music rather than licks and tabs.
Where are you based? Someone on here might be able to recommend someone. Don't be swayed too much by
cost (although of course it may be a factor), look for the teacher who can give you what you need.Out of interest,
I don't know anyone personally who offers first lessons for free.

Check out my site too www.mattlawtonbass.com

A lot of the stuff may be a bit advanced if you're just starting out but it's all free =) sorry about the smiley :ph34r:

[size=4]Also check out MarloweDK on youtube, and finally if I ever have or do need help with anything I usually come here first! Lot's of good knowledge and if you upload a vid of something you're struggling with I'm sure people will help you out best they can. [/size]

Without going too much into it I have trouble with some direct communication such as phones and Skype, but I do take those points on board. I do require a certain way of teaching, thinking about it. A lot of the time it needs to be visual. Being told something quickly often won't work for me. So I think that finding the right tutor would be a godsend.

I'm in Salford/Manchester, by the way.

I shall be sitting down with the sites mentioned and having a good look whilst also reading back over the advice given here. Listening to Ambient's Soundcloud page whilst I do this makes for a rather chilled out time.

[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1408387444' post='2529724']
A lot of the time it needs to be visual. Being told something quickly often won't work for me.
[/quote]

Perhaps a good idea might be to have a teacher go through a book with you. That way, when you go home after a lesson, you still have the book as a reference point.

Without going too much into it I have trouble with some direct communication such as phones and Skype, but I do take those points on board. I do require a certain way of teaching, thinking about it. A lot of the time it needs to be visual. Being told something quickly often won't work for me. So I think that finding the right tutor would be a godsend.

I shall be sitting down with the sites mentioned and having a good look whilst also reading back over the advice given here. Listening to Ambient's Soundcloud page whilst I do this makes for a rather chilled out time.
[/quote]

:)

[/quote]

I teach at Riffs Academy in Stockport and I think it's £12 (or there abouts) for 30 mins and lots of students do come fortnightly. We teach the RGT course which I find to be hugely practical. If that's not too far for you give them a call and ask for Matt!

There's some really good info here. The only other resource I can think of that you may find useful is Scottsbasslessons.com.

He has done hours of tutorials on youtube. Pick through his lessons carefully. Some can be at very mixed up levels. What I mean by that is the subject matter can be basic, but he can throw in references to more advanced things, but don't be put off. There's some great info there

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408640406' post='2532159']
The only other resource I can think of that you may find useful is Scottsbasslessons.com.
He has done hours of tutorials on youtube.

[/quote]
[quote name='Samfordia' timestamp='1408295755' post='2528738']
I am aware of Scott's Bass Lessons but for some reason I found him to be something of a turn off. I think it may have been his many over-familiar emails and overuse of smilies :$
[/quote]