Why become a member? ×

Recommend me some strings?

ChunkyMunky

I'm currently going on a binge to try all kinds of strings. I'm testing them on my Musicman Bongo and so far, I've had some rather interesting results. If there's any you'd be able to recommend, please do. Feel free to chip in! :)

From my experiences so far, this is what I've got from the strings.

[u]DR Lo-Riders:[/u]
Not too bad. Nice for a fingerstyle tone and but leave bit to be desired, pretty average from what I've found. Didn't last a particularly long time!

[u]DR Hi-Beams:[/u]
The stainless steel took a while getting used to but wasn't too bad after that. These sound great and really have the clarity I desire from strings but could be a bit brash and sharp for others. Unfortunately, these died after about 3 gigs.

[u]Sadowsky Blue label:[/u]
TBA

[u]Sadowsky Black label:[/u]
TBA

[u]Pedulla:[/u]
TBA

A hugely generous BCer gifted me a set of La Bella SN45 nickel roundwounds that he had no use for, so I put them on my trusty old Westone Spectrum LX that had been wearing some Fender steel flats. I expected a big difference, I'd had Rotosound steel rounds on it some years previously but the tone from the La Bella blew me away - I haven't heard anything like them before, dark and sonorous but with a pleasing zing. When I need new strings on my other basses I'll definitely be considering them.

Rotosound Steel Rounds and Nicel Rounds - steels nice and bright & twangy, but don`t retain that for too long. Nickels are nice and warm.

Would also add D`Addario Chromes into the mix as well - good all-rounders, can get twangy if needed, but still flats, sit well in the mix.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408311310' post='2528955']
You'll get as many suggestions as there are members... ;) so I'll say Status Half-Wounds 45-105, or... Fender Steel Flats 9050ML 50-100.
[/quote]

I guess it has to be +1 for Status flats or half's from me as two of my 3 favourites have them on

Edited by Pinball

La Bella Steels, Overwater Steels or Nickels, Warwick Red or Black Label, or something custom wound by Newtone.

As has been said all you'll get out of this thread is a massive selection of different strings to try. Everyone has different needs and what suits one bass won't necessarily suit another. Between my 10 currently used basses I have 6 different types of strings.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1408360035' post='2529278']
Are you sticking with roundwounds or genuinely trying all types? If it's the latter, I'd make sure you have some flatwounds and some black nylon tapewounds on your list. You might like them or not, but they are a different playing experience than rounds.
[/quote]

Yes, I imagined I was a 'rounds-only' player for about forty years, then became a confirmed 'flats-only' man. Now I like half-wounds and flats.
Basically it depends what style you're playing, which bass you've got, and a thousand other parameters. Personal preference and subjectivity are in the mix.
Try as many different types of string as possible... oh wait, you are. Good! :)

Edited by discreet

I've tried most after being a commited DR user for nigh on 20 years.

I think the quality of strings is down to the quality of metal used and it is here
that I noticed quite a variable, IMO.

I now use custom Newtones as they aren't super bright but are spikey and clean enough.
I noticed these don't degrade sound-wise so quickly as super bright strings so they are consistant enough
for me, longer.

If DR's are lasting you about 3 gigs I would recommend Elixir's to you. I also used to use the Bootsy Collins signature DRs, but they wouldn't last much longer, I tried their XL coated ones too.

I started on the Elixir Steel as i react with nickel in a way that turns the strings black. I didn't like the tone of them so I now use the Elixir nickel, the coating protects them, when i see black on the strings i know the coating is worn out. They last me about 6 months (20+ gigs)

D'Addario half-rounds are great, probably my favourite sounding strings, especially on my Modulus.

[url="http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=191&productname=ENR71_6_Half_Rounds_Bass__Regular_Light__30_130__Long_Scale"]http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=191&productname=ENR71_6_Half_Rounds_Bass__Regular_Light__30_130__Long_Scale[/url]

They're not really very versatile though, but I personally love their sound.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

D'Addario XL- nickels are very versatile from jazz rock to metal.
The Pro-steels usualy lack some mediums and once the "zing" fades they don't cut in the mix very well.
However they are my favourites for the fretless.
Both XL and Pro are enough cheap in order to have always fresh sets without going broke.
Best

Edited by TheSiberian