Why become a member? ×

Clean Boost - where to stick it?

redbandit599

Hi all

I've got an EHX LPB-1 on it's way to me, seems a cheapish and effective clean boost for the couple of times that I need, one according to reviews.

Now, I stick most of my effects, barring drives, into my effects loop. Just wondering if that's safe to do with something that boosts the signal level, or if it'll need to go in front of the pre.

Don't really want it in front of the pre because I run the gain so it's just shy of clipping as standard, so the boost may deliver more drive, whic isn't what I want really. Thought I'd ask opinions before I do something and blow up me amp...

Cheers

J

What are you trying to achieve with the boost?

Understanding what you want will give you (and us) a better idea of where to place it.

Is your amp solid state or valve? (Cannot see on my phone if you have a signature).

Cheers.

Hi, yep a bit more detail probably would help!

I use and EBS HD350, so solid state, no pre-amp valve (not a hybrid.)

I want to use the boost as a pretty much on/off boost in volume for a few sections of songs/little emphasis bits but without necessarily having to crank up the gain by layering drive pedals. I suppose some real examples would be (I play rock and metal covers in one band, pop punk in the other) the intro part in For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica, or Crazy Train - Ozzy.

I can get a nice drive sound, which I'd just like to be a bit louder so a 'solo' bit I suppose and then drop back at the appropriate point to normal volume. Appreciate I could do that with the volume control on the bass, but I'm pretty busy with the parts and triggering samples of a bell, so a stomp to go quiter is preferable.

Cheers

Do you push the input preamp up to clipping for the tone it creates? I don't know about the head you've got so I've no idea if you're getting a nice warmth from the input stage set to high gain levels but maybe you could put the clean boost pedal before the preamp and set your gain for clipping when the clean boost is engaged (so you'll be using less gain to cope with a higher input level) and then up your master volume accordingly?

Yes, that's one option. Though I do prefer the tone with gain close to clipping as my 'always on' sound.

I suppose the question is really, if I boost the signal level in the effects loop so post pre, before power amp, am I going to damage the amp?

If not, then I can keep my existing gain settings and just lift the overall volume.

I currently run all my pedals in front of a Tech 21 Leeds which then goes into the effects return of my amp (Ashdown MiBass 550). So, effectlively the Leeds is my preamp.
I have an LPB-1 and it currently sits between the Leeds and the amp. I previously put it just before the Leeds but found that it pushed the gain too hard and the tone became far more overdriven. Between the Leeds and the amp provides a far cleaner boost which, like you, I use very sparingly.
Beware though, the LPB-1 is really hot! I doubt you'll need the knob much past 9 o'clock.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar