Why become a member? ×

Sound engineering outside. Advice?

Skinnyman

The Guy that ran our system was a HNC technician, he had a constructed earth breaker box, what I know is he would not touch a long run himself without a remote earth point he could measure.
As to if this ran a secondary fail safe point or not I do not know, as a HNC, you don't question them, you just lift the boxes and mix the sound.

I still have the distribution board somewhere he constructed, might see how it worked.

Edited by spacey

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408649829' post='2532278']
Sounds like he created his own TT supply regardless of the mains incomer type which is cool if you know what you are doing but not so much if you dont.
[/quote]

Absolutely and if not careful you could introduce fault surface voltages into local equipment.

With a proper supply cable with an adequate cross sectional area further earthing should not be required however equipotential bonding and supplemental bonding may be required for parallel path cpc's.

Anyway that sounds far too much like work so i'll shut up now.

;)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1408774808' post='2533335']
I hope this went well, as I've seen too many small outdoor gigs where the sound quality was awful.
[/quote]
Thank you - it's actually on Monday. Which, given the forecast for the Bank Holiday, rather underlines the first of my assumptions in the original post.

Doh.

I've picked up a lot of good advice from this thread so I'm glad I posted it and even more glad that people have taken the trouble to respond. I will admit that some of the finer points of earth spikes and the subtler nuances of TNS, TNC-S and TT supply systems have gone over my head but I did pick up from it the need for RCDs at the stage end of the power extensions. (Handily, they've given me someone who's quite annoying to help me so he gets to touch everything metal before I do, just to make sure that nothing is live that shouldn't be).

I'll update the thread after the event and let you know how it went....

And if anyone's in Bedford over the weekend, bring your brolly down to the White Horse on Newnham Ave from 2pm and come and say "hi".

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408782894' post='2533382']
I am sure it will go well as you have clearly given it some thought and preparation :)
[/quote]
Thank you! You should see the spreadsheet I have, down to which xlr cables are going to be plugged into which channel of the multicore, what power drain each amp is going to take, what mic is going in what stand at what time and for how long.....

Turns out, THAT'S rock'n'roll!

Just remember no one will understand how much trouble you have gone to, I always make sure I thank the sound/lights crew even if the gig was crap (unless it was their fault, very rarely) as I appreciate how much work goes into these things, we have a nice slot at a beer festival on sunday that has got better as we have gon.e from 1pm then to 3pm and now we are the 6pm-8pm slot which should be a good one looking at many previous doos there, that is in part due to the organisers knowing we are not tossers with loads of demands and stuff. The best thing about that gig is that we dont need to drag all our gear there, play and drag it all home, They have an excellent pa and lighting rig and 2 pro guys working it for 3 days solid! I might not even take an amp and just have a Di to the expensive monitor wedge :)

Just a quick update on yesterday's mini-festival. Given the deluge we suffered all day, we managed to move the event into a large marquee meaning that we all stayed dry(ish) and, more importantly, so did all the gear.

This meant that a lot of the stuff I'd taken was overkill but, hey, rather that than not enough...

Technically, it went really well. A good sound both on stage and out front. No-one complained about the onstage mix and a couple of people were complimentary about the setup.

Unfortunately, because of the weather, we didn't get the crowds we'd hope for - just a few dozen hardy souls, maybe a hundred or so through the day. I haven't seen the exact figures but we covered costs (fortunately, we'd had a lot of stuff donated) and will be able to give a reasonable donation to Stoke Mandevile. The wise decision was taken to cancel the auction and to hold a separate auction some time soon which will boost the donation even more.

So, I'm annoyed that the weather was so bleeding awful, annoyed we couldn't raise more for the charity but pleased that all the technical stuff worked.

Thanks to everyone who contributed hints and tips and meant I wasn't going in completely cold!

But the next one I do will be in the dry......