Why become a member? ×

ear deficiency moment

steve-bbb

put this in here to avoid cloggin up the general forum

my ears are having a moment in deciphering a note - i suspect many people experience this phenomenon where you can work out a whole phrase but there is always one note in the middle where you just cant hear and evaluate the pitch correctly

currently bugging me at the moment as im just transcribing it as we are about to cover it in our set list is olly murs troublemaker

i'll put it up in tab for now for simplicitiy

chorus

[size=4][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]G-------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]D-----1--3----------------------1--3--------------------------------[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]A---3-------------x--3-------3----------------5--6------------------[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]E--------------3----------------------------6------------------------[/font][/size]

is X a B flat or B natural or does it change throughout? im hearing both :huh: :blink:

:D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1408353200' post='2529171']
I thought Bb too but I've been wrong before.

Anyway playing the B just gives a different flavour.

Your last phrase 6-5-6, I would play using open string 1-0-1 - if you see what I mean.
[/quote]

yes totally agree different flavour but both work dont they which just adds to confusion for silly old fools like me

what puzzles me about the whole pitch perception thing is sometimes that deceptively simple things are the deal breakers

for example the little twiddly runs in the bridge section of cee lo greens forget you i have no problem in hearing and picking out the notes but one single simple note in troublemaker has me stumped :huh:

In bar 2 of the chorus X is a B natural, the third of a G7 chord. The whole chorus though is 8 bars and in bar 6 the bass stays on a G. The backing vocal part singing "pull me back" is singing Bb to C, which is probably the Bb you're hearing. The dissonance that Bb creates (#9 over the G7) draws your attention to it and is probably what's confusing.