Why become a member? ×

Listening to the same music >50 years later!

KiOgon

Maybe it's just that, whereas we old folks used to wait for the latest stuff to appear, people now jump around the history of music to find interesting things. Like authors, we find one we like and then read all of their stuff; sometimes its a current book, sometimes a classic. I think young people do know the old stuff but also listen to the new. The field is so much alrger than it was in my day, although you wouldn't know it if you visted a high street record store. I guess this is why we saw the demise of such stores. The market is now SO diversified, the locals cannot possibly stock a sufficiently wide selection AND generate a profit. Interesting that we now see more second had record stores than new ones (the music industry equivalent of charity shops!!).

I find that lots of folks find a genre or era they like, and stick with it... It's always easier to say "kids nowadays haven't got a clue" - just like their parents said before them!
Frinstance, in 1990ish I was in a punk-funk band; the keyboard player was only into Led Zep or the usual 70s stuff. According to him everything else was rubbish. But he also didn't attempt to listen to anything new, because he'd already decided it'd be cack.
Who knows why he was in a punk-funk band - we even made him dress up in daft clothes (not as daft as I wore though!).

I've always been out of touch.

In the 70's kids were listening to punk music and doing the spikey hair thing.
I had scraggy hair and listened to folk music.

In the 80's the same kids were wearing jackets with the sleeves rolled up, listened to strange squeaky music played on sympathisers and had hair which should really have had planning permission.

The 90's saw a surge in interest in Indi music and the kids from the 70's and 80's put on fake scowls like Oasis.
My Dad announced that he thought 'Inksies are the best band ever' (he meant INXS :D).

The 00's saw lots of black clothing and the kids modelled themselves on characters from a morticians slab.

The 10's got interesting. Anyone and his dog who played an acoustic guitar is suddenly folk.
Any conversation starting with 'You'll like this...' has me desperately seeking an exit from the room.
I got a haircut (I was having trouble seeing) and ignore them. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408487928' post='2530765']
I muist have been into some even more complex stuff back then because i always thought of jazz-rock as easy listening compared to most of the music i was listening to at the time. ;)
[/quote]

Well I was studying Stravinsky's Petrushka for O Level music at the time, so I suppose you're right!

It saddens me to say, but I've not heard new record in sometime that actually excited me one bit.

Part of it is modern production sounds, for me it's too lifeless. I think at some point during the 1990's, the world lost the ability to make a decent sounding track.

Snare sounds - my personal gripe. I'm so bad, I have to turn off the radio if a songs production irritates me too much! Drum sounds in general are just awful now...all sound like they're submerged! Drums and cymbals go 'ttt', not 'pffft!

Main thing is the quality that's missing, not just in recent times. For me, the golden days of the album were the late 60's and 70's, 80's in a small part, 90's lesser, 00's non-existent. For stone-cold classics, that is.

I'm 40, and remember buying old records in the 80's as a teen. For what I liked, the golden age had been and gone by then, and today it's worse. The thing is now, I think a great song - if one was around - would be ruined by the production. I for one would hate a modern job, but equally when they try to give it retro pastiche.

It might be me - as I type, I'm working my way through the Miles Davis 'Cellar Door' sessions - 350 minutes of what I call the absolute business, whilst others would call it something else entirely! :o

I often wonder if sub conscious has something to do with this.
For millenia, music and dance has been part of the courting/propagation of the species thing.
I just wonder if once you get past the main rush of that in life, subconsciously you start to lose interest.
Dunno, but I'm very much in the way of don't make 'em like they used to. Regardless, the early 70's were my formative years, and as has already been pointed out, the formative years were days of very frequent new experiences.

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1408561335' post='2531419']
I often wonder if sub conscious has something to do with this. For millenia, music and dance has been part of the courting/propagation of the species thing.
I just wonder if once you get past the main rush of that in life, subconsciously you start to lose interest.
[/quote]

So... no sex for a while then, Karl..? :D

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1408553016' post='2531320']
It saddens me to say, but I've not heard new record in sometime that actually excited me one bit.
Part of it is modern production sounds, for me it's too lifeless. I think at some point during the 1990's, the world lost the ability to make a decent sounding track.
[/quote]

Recently I've discovered The Swans... their new album 'To Be Kind' is really knocking me out. As is 'Breathe Carolina' by Savages... of course neither may be your cup of tea, but my point is that there [i]is [/i]good new music out there and there are still good people who know how to record a live rhythm section. In my humble opinion, of course. :)

[quote name='gadgie' timestamp='1408448128' post='2530187']
I think there might be something about the new music medium...ie MP3 downloads, iTunes etc etc. Kids now have access to 1000's of tunes all quite cheap if not totally free. So they load up there pod/phone whatever they have with all this stuff and hardly listen to a fraction of it. Where as when I were a kid, or at least a young teenager, I had very few records......
[/quote]

I think gadgie has a fair point here
MP3's are relatively cheap, and many people will be able to get hold of them for nothing...

As a lad, I had to save my pocket money to buy records
I even had to take the long, 5+ mile walk home on several occasions
... because I couldn't resist buying another single, or LP in a sale

Even when I started work, records were relatively quite expensive
(certainly on my starting wages) - so i couldn't buy a fraction of what I wanted at the time

Maybe we appreciate the music more if we had to save hard to buy it?

Oddly enough, I can still recall where I bought quite a lot of my vinyl LPs and singles
..... saddo, I hear you say ;) lol

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1408624665' post='2531903']
:useless:
[/quote]

Didn't have cameras then Alain.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408624865' post='2531909']
So... no sex for a while then, Karl..? :D
[/quote]

Spooky, that's EXACTLY what the current Mrs. discreet said in bed this morning ;)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1408625621' post='2531937']
Right, I'm quitting whilst I'm only losing badly. I fear it may get worse :o
[/quote]

The correct response would have been, 'Huh - my dong is 4,600 miles long, so there!
And then... ...*sigh* ...actually no you're right, this can only end badly. :unsure: I'm off to otherpeoplesterriblewives.com.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1408446008' post='2530154']
I can tell you what youngsters are interested in these days and that is Made in Chelsea, The Only Way is Essex and Geordie Shore.

I'm 21 and I have absolutely no interest in the above, but throughout school and college those above programmes is what everyone ever talked about and was what everyone was interested in. The idea is, you buy the most expensive designer clothing, and then to go out clubbing with the sole intension of making sure the night club photographer takes a photo of you and your mates flexing your biceps, pointing at each other, and looking seriously into the camera.

They don't even have fun, and they are far too 'cool' to dance or even have a laugh.

In my opinion youths of today are interested in trying to look like the 'stars' of reality TV programmes and want to get as many 'Likes' and 'Followers' on social media as possible.

The youth of today are a generation of self obsessed morons.
[/quote]

This is pretty much spot on, an army of tattooed balloon animals in expensive vests and Hitler youth hair cuts.

But do you think that hearing a song over and over (airplay) contributes to its popularity?

Reason I'm interested is that sometimes I pick up on a song and it really rings with me - then I discover it's an old 60s/70s song or track that I missed when it charted, or was published and I find that it's really a high quality song and well put together. This very rarely happens with recent stuff, which I [u][b]do[/b][/u] listen to quite a bit.

I think the 60s to 80s (maybe a spill into the 90s) produced some wonderful popular music and wouldn't be surprised if, in 50 years time, music from this time-span will still be played and enjoyed, by old and young alike.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1408635315' post='2532076']
This is pretty much spot on, an army of tattooed balloon animals in expensive vests and Hitler youth hair cuts.
[/quote]

What is it with the Hitler Youth hair cuts? They make kids look like evangelical Mormons. That can't be right!!