Why become a member? ×

Listening to the same music >50 years later!

KiOgon

Listening to some old favourites on youtube whilst getting on with other things this afternoon, it occurred to me that a lot of the music I still love has been around a VERY LONG TIME!

Will today's youth look back in 50 years & say the same?

I don't think so :P

It makes you think about what really is missing in production/songwriting/recording these days. Why is it that the magic appears to have dwindled from the quality of new music?
I'm still listening, playing and enjoying the old stuff too and as you come forward decade by decade, it seems to me that something is definately on the slide. :(

Perhaps the changes across the whole industry is responsible?

Al

Music, as in chart and popular music isn't as important to younger people as it was to teenagers in the 60s and 70s. It's the same with what teenagers wear today. No one will look back in 50 years time and comment on what they were wearing in 2014 because there are no rigid styles like there used to be when you had to be a Mod or Rocker, Skinhead, Greaser, Hippie etc. These things just aren't as important as they once were to younger people. While people in their 50s and 60 look back fondly on music and fashion todays youngsters will look back fondly on iphones, ipads, x-boxes and playstations.

Edited by BetaFunk

We tend to like the music that was playing when we were most impressionable and new experiences were a regular occurrence... who can forget that song that was playing when you met your first love, had your first drink, drove your first car, smoked your first joint, went to your first gig..?

Important events indeed and the soundtrack to them is burnt into our minds and have special significance.

I'm sure it is no different for today's teenagers.

I'm probably in the minority but I cannot bear to listen to 95% of the music I listened to for decades, and this has been a very recent development.

Most people who have known me for a long time would think of me as somebody that's really into Prog & metal stuff, but I just cannot stand it anymore. Nearly everything I listen to & love now I'd never even heard of a year ago.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408396453' post='2529853']
Music, as in chart and popular music isn't as important to younger people as it was to teenagers in the 60s and 70s.
[/quote]

I'd say that's a big part of it. Music was a big thing back then, probably because of its relative rarity. If you didn't buy the record then you would only hear it once or twice a day on the radio and if you did buy the record you could only listen to it at home or at a friends house - none of this any time, any place, anywhere business (to coin an equally old advertising slogan!).

As to whether the 'old' music is any better than today, well probably not. I'm sure there is just as much tosh from the past as there is now. But, it's quite clear that the good old stuff is as popular with youngsters today as it ever was . . . . at least if FF junior and his mates raiding of my old converted LPs is anything to go by! :lol:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408396453' post='2529853']
Music, as in chart and popular music isn't as important to younger people as it was to teenagers in the 60s and 70s.
[/quote]

Chart music, possibly. :) But in the intervening years there has been a lot more music produced over a baffling range of genres and sub-genres, and there are an alarming number of new songs being made available every day by various means, so there is less cohesion re tribal groups liking the same things as in the past and the charts reflect this... but I don't think that music [i]per se[/i] is any less important to kids now than it was then.

I have asked myself the same question. I think a lot of music is based on how it makes you feel at the time. Sometimes when you a younger it's about rebelion so therefore each generation gets into different stuff. That stuff is usually something their perents will hate...therefore all the more reason to like it eh!
I'm still stuck in stuff from the 70's punk and stuff. However, also like earlier stuff that my sisters listened to etc. Some newer stuff is ok, but I tend to like 'stripped down' sounds like the first Arctic Monkeys album. Not keen on their newer stuff though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408397131' post='2529862']
We tend to like the music that was playing when we were most impressionable and new experiences were a regular occurrence... who can forget that song that was playing when you met your first love, had your first drink, drove your first car, smoked your first joint, went to your first gig..?

Important events indeed and the soundtrack to them is burnt into our minds and have special significance.

[/quote]
This.
Music and movies are as important to teens & early twenties as they were in my time (90's) and every decade before that.

The first half of the previous century these influences came more from religious, political and class of the neighbourhood one grew up in.
After WW2 media and technology became rapidly available to more and more people, so they were affected by influences beyond their normal surroundings. Pop culture emerged as a new way to define oneself, and has only developed and professionalised since.

Errmm where was I going with this again?

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1408396875' post='2529859']
I have this weird vision where some day there will be old folks homes where 85 and 90 year olds will sit around and reminisce about the good old days with Cradle of filth, Megadeath and Snoop dog :blink:
[/quote]

I so hope this comes to pass and I'll be joining in; assuming the kids haven't buried me in the garden.

Difficult to call though. When you hear what Radio 2 is playing I am increasing despairing about having to listen to hippity hoppity in 20 years time, not to mention what passes for R&B nowadays. Don't get me started on that.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408408325' post='2529957']
Chart music, possibly. :) But in the intervening years there has been a lot more music produced over a baffling range of genres and sub-genres, and there are an alarming number of new songs being made available every day by various means, so there is less cohesion re tribal groups liking the same things as in the past and the charts reflect this... but I don't think that music [i]per se[/i] is any less important to kids now than it was then.
[/quote]
I really do think that listening to music is less important to kids today mainly because they have so much more to occupy themselves with. All of the lads aged between 18-25 that i worked with over the last 10 years had an interest in music but nowhere near the interest that i and my contemporaries had at that age. Gadgets to them are king. Queuing all night for a new iphone/ipad was not unusual.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408436425' post='2530027']
Gadgets are king. Queuing all night for a new iphone/ipad was not unusual.
[/quote]

This is no doubt true, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is not [i]all[/i] kids spend 24 hours a day staring at a screen. Having said that, our guitarist's kid (14) spends a lot of time staring at a screen - using Logic in Mac to produce reams and reams of (very good) electronic dance music. But he's obsessed by all types of music and listens to as much as he can all day. He also plays in a band. Which is good. I think. His sister (12) is learning guitar and piano (not compulsory - she likes it), is doing really well and is way ahead of me when I was her age. Again, she listens to as much music as she can. Neither of them play video games or spend any time on fb or twitter, etc.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408397131' post='2529862']

[/quote]

^^This^^ I think. Hobbies change with each generation as technology evolves. I used to play a lot of sport and did a lot of the scout things, but music always was and still is one of the most important things for me. I think if you are into music that will be a constant.

I find I am also trapped in a musical timewarp. Most of the new stuff I like sounds like 'old school' rock. The only difference between now and back then is I appreciate all types of music these days and am not so militant about 'heavy rock only' - for me now there are only two types of music; good and bad. But, when all said and done, the bands I loved in my teens like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Thin Lizzy still strike the deepest resonance.

People always seem to have a distorted view of the past as a magical time when everything was great and it's not as good today is it?

Rubbish. Firstly whatever is new and fashionable in music has always been derided and dismissed as a fad whether it was classical, rock n roll, punk or any other musical movement over the last 300 or so years. We won't know which of today's songs and artists will still be regarded as being important for another 10 or 20 years, just like in the past and as before be prepared for some surprises as to what stands the test of time.

Regarding the younger generation not being as interested in music, I don't see it as being any different from when I was a teenager. Of my friends and family's children, some are obsessed with music, some can take it or leave it, some are very mush more interested in other things. Much like I remember my classmates being when I was at school. And I had zero interest in music myself until I discovered T Rex, Slade and The Sweet in the early 70s.

Ultimately we all have the same 24 hours in a day. If there are more things to do and be stimulated by then people inevitably make choices and those that want to enjoy a wide variety of the available avenues will not have as much time for any one of them. I don't have kids of my own but working in a University you get a feel of how young people live their lives in their late teens to mid 20's. More ephemeral these days, more things to do than ever and a lot more pressures into the bargain. I think they either really get into music to the exclusion of a lot of other things or, as Beta mentions, they barely scrape ther surface of it and it's mostly just 'background noise'. I think this then promotes a lack of 'loyalty' to an act and the music biz plays up to this by having a very 'here today, gone tomorrow' aspect to its performers. It's not that new of course, there were plenty of acts in the 50's and 60's who were quite short-lived with only a few hits and then disappeared but you wonder how many if any of the bigger stars around from the last 10 years will be going in another 40.

Edited by KevB

My son and his mates have been more into video games than anything else. Those who have played instruments play guitar and really only want to learn the tabs for the iconic rifs in some of the classics.

I do think some of todays' music trends are engineered by the publishing companies to be more "of the moment". In their position it must be scary to think of having to list forever an ever growing back-catalogue. Also, I'm sure they'd rather "negotiate" a contract with a solo talent-show winner, who will sing in front of the staff session players, than deal with a new generation Rolling Stones or U2.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408442062' post='2530095']
Oh dear you lot do realise your parents said all this when you were young!

It was all fields around here, bag of chips was ten pence, waggon wheels were as big as your had etc etc etc :D
[/quote]

You must be a youngster yourself as chips were in old pence when I were a nipper :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408442062' post='2530095']
Oh dear you lot do realise your parents said all this when you were young!

It was all fields around here, bag of chips was ten pence, waggon wheels were as big as your head etc etc etc :D
[/quote]

Wagon Wheels and Farleys Rusks are most definitely smaller! They were bigger than my hand when I was a kid. NOW! Pfft, barely the size of my palm. :(

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1408442171' post='2530099']

You must be a youngster yourself as chips were in old pence when I were a nipper :lol:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]
I bet you had to walk fifty miles with no shoes to get them too?, lol

I was born five years after decimalisation, thank God, what was that all about!