Why become a member? ×

Combining 12" and 15" cabs

TheDaivisch

Hello,

I've got a Genz Benz Contour 500 115T, which is a lovely fat sounding unit putting out 300watts into that 15 incher and tweeter. I want to add a very compact speaker to get 4 ohms and the fuil 500 watts while adding some top end. My thought is to add one of these on top:

[url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/eden-ex112-bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet-8-ohms.html"]http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/eden-ex112-bass-guitar-speaker-cabinet-8-ohms.html[/url]

For a super punchy and fat sounding 500 watt compact rig.

My questions would be - does anyone have much experience of mixing very different speaker cabs from different manufacturers, and what are the risks, and does anyone have any experience of mixing 12 inch and 15 inch cabs? You hear lots of 10s being mixed with 15s, but not 12s.

Thoughts?

Dave

General rules are:
- If you like your current sound, add the same cab again to the set up and you'll get more of the same
- If you don't like your sound, look for another cab/amp
- If you mix cabinet/driver types the results are totally unpredictable - you may love it, you may hate it

I'd say if you like the fifteen, just get another as you sound like you love your tone and thats the only way to guarantee more of the same. :)

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

I should have said - I like the sound of the cab, but I A) want the extra volume and B) feel like it could do with the top endiness of a 12 or 10s and the combination would be spot on...

I can always try it and then take advantage of the distance selling regs if I don't like it, I suppose :)

Dave

12s and 10s wont necessarily sound toppier than your 15. I haven't got any experience with these cabs though so afraid I cant help. Distance selling would seem to be a good way to go though if you're up for paying the return shipping.

Do you use your tweeter? Would that not give you the more toppy end that you're after? I notice the 15 also comes with a 3 position tweeter.....

I agree with Salt on your Bass?. Get another 15. The ideal partner would be the GB-115ext extension cabinet which is designed to go under your combo. If the combo is raised on top of the extension cab then the tweeter will be near your ears and the "airiness" will still be apparent.

If you can't afford or can't find a GB, then another 8ohm 15" cab that handles 300w would be the next best thing, not forgetting top panel dimensions so that the combo fits on top.

The increased wattage available at the amp (on its own) will not give a noticeable increase in volume, but adding a second loudspeaker - sound source - will up the decibels.

Balcro.

I dont think you'll negate the additional power in this scenario - its more about more drivers and cone area. You'll be moving more air. I expect you'll hear and feel the benefit although dont know the full tech behind it. Like chris says, give it a whirl and see. Maybe you could order two or three cabs and try em and send two back under distance selling, or if theres anyone local with similar gear, maybe meet up and have a bass mash up :)

[quote name='TheDaivisch' timestamp='1408446081' post='2530156']
Yeah I've considered that, but I'm after the sound of a 210+115, rather than 2x15s. Those Genz extension cabs are hard to come by... I guess if I add a quieter 112 to a 115 it will negate the extra power then?

Dave
[/quote]

[quote name='TheDaivisch' timestamp='1408441233' post='2530089']
I suppose by toppier, I mean the quickness/airiness (in the upper mids, I suppose) and the extra tightness in the lower frequencies of 10s and 12s thats inherent in the woofer, rather than just the top end sparkle of the tweeter
[/quote]If that's what you're after you need to add midrange drivers, 6 or 8 inch, and a crossover. Ten and twelve inch woofers are still woofers, they're not going to make that much difference in the midrange.

I just stuck a Aguilar GS 112 under my 210 Fender Rumble 500 and couldn't be happier. The slightly darker sound and oomph of the GS is offset by the slightly top end punchier overdriven 10's of the Rumble, at least to my ear :)

As they said, you'll never know till you try.

Funny, in the last year I have myself gone from liking a pure clean tone with flats, to a slightly overdriven sound with rounds, how's that!

Edited by Highfox

[indent=1]I'd be thinking about a matched 210 that will stack well.... but if you are a combo then that means the[/indent]
[indent=1]115 will sit on the top which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.[/indent]
[indent=1]I find typical 10" cabs will get out there quicker, and therefore you do hear their range better but[/indent]
[indent=1]then they will also sit higher in the stack 9/10, IMO.[/indent]

[indent=1]Looking at the picture, I am not sure if you can stack that well as it could be pretty unstable,...?? but[/indent]
[indent=1]if you can, putting a 210 on the bottom or a 115 isn't going to make a lot of difference, IMO.[/indent]
[indent=1]This is the limiting form of the combo config..[/indent]

A smallish speaker with feet will fit on top - the Eden EX112 will fit on the top of the Genz combo without any overhang, mostly well within its footprint. I don't mind having the amp head between the speakers.

I'm thinking I pull the trigger and try it! It will only cost me about 6 quid to ship it back as I get discounted courier rates through work...

Dave

If you fancied an hour's drive east you would be welcome to try it out with my BF Midget to see how that sounds.

One thing I do know is that (to my ears etc) BF Compact = :) BF Midget = :) :) but BF Compact + Midget = :gas: :gas: - so that particular 12" and 15" match is very good indeed.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1408469571' post='2530518']
One thing I do know is that (to my ears etc) BF Compact = :) BF Midget = :) :) but BF Compact + Midget = :gas: :gas: - so that particular 12" and 15" match is very good indeed.
[/quote]

Spot-on there Paul.

I've stuck one of these edens on top of my barefaced compact and really liked it. So much in fact I bought another eden so I can also gig with just them. I've yet to try compact plus two 1x12....

To my ears it sounded nicer than a Schroeder 12 ....which was too middy for my tastes and kinda dominated over the compact

But best advice is to try out if you can.....

[quote name='TheDaivisch' timestamp='1408468546' post='2530509']
TBF, the Contour's head is fully detachable and has to XLR outs, so I COULD just sell the speaker and get replacements if it really comes to it...
[/quote]

Keep the combo and get a 212 for the big gigs. You can then use the combo for the smaller gigs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest monsterthompson

I ran a Mesa PH 115 with a PH 212. It worked, but it wasn't earth shattering. I'd agree with the statements above that say the mix and match is risky. You might stumble upon "your" sound or you might end up with a steaming pile. You are opening up a can of worms with a "compact" 12 too, since the output sensitivity won't match, and you may find different results at different volume levels, as the 15 may become more dominant. I think the suggestion to look for a cab with a mid driver might be what you are after. I think the safest bet is to get a second matching cab and learn how to work your amp's eq and/or get a parametric or graphic eq to shape the sound. The graphic on my Mesa Buster and the parametric mid on my Genz Shuttle 9.0 each work wonders.

My Barefaced Big One (15" and 6.5") paired with one of my BFM J12 cabs (12") present a load of 4ohms and work very well together - the Big One's inherent low end extension being tempered somewhat by the Jack's mid-forward tendencies... but I will agree with the general consensus that you need to suck it and see. Remember that the sound of a rig solo is [i]very[/i] different from how it will sound with a band, at a gig, at battle levels. :)

Edited by discreet