Why become a member? ×

Advice needed - tiniest small gig-worthy combo

antk

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new bass player, having only really been playing seriously for about 6 months, and the time has come that I could really do with my own little bass combo rather than DI-ing or stealing somebody else's!

I don't really have a vast budget, ideally I'd like to spend about £300, and the smallest size possible would be great as I'm very limited on storage space for it to live.

I like the look of the GK MB150s, but it's a bit pricey, and the TC Electronics BG250-208 looks ideal but I wonder how well the 2 x 8" cones would cope? There's no low B's to worry about though and it'd only need to cope with a fairly tame drummer in small-ish pub gigs. Does anyone have any experience of it?

Thanks,

Ant

Here's a few ideas for you:

Hartke Kickbacks are great little combos with plenty of volume available (even the 10") and can be had for peanuts second hand.
SWR Workingman's 10 would be a great buy if you can find one. Can be had for £120ish and are awesome! 10" combo, plenty of volume and suitable for small gigs. DI out too so can go into the PA for larger gigs.
The Gallien Kreuger MB210 combo and the MB115 combo are deceptively small and cost less than the MB150s. Can be had for £250ish second hand and sound great. Ultra lightweight too!
Alternatively, look at the Gallien Kreuger MB200 micro amp and buy a small 2x10, 1x12 or 1x15 cab to go with it. The MB200 is TINY!

Good luck!

Truckstop

I've been doing the same kind of research, because I have an Ampeg 410 cabinet and and a Tech21 head that are far too heavy to carry and sometimes too big for smaller gigs. My criteria has therefore been that it's 100w (which is suitable for smaller gigs, and the genres I'm involved in) and I can carry (light!). The shortlist has been [b]GK[/b], T[b]C Electronics[/b] and [b]Fender Rumble (100)[/b]. While I'm still waiting to hear the latter, it seems to be a winner among most gigging bassists, not only for it's good sound, but probably mostly because of it being lightweight.

All of these are under the £300 mark and very decent amps. Again, my criteria is based on the weight and the fact that I have the 410 to fall back on for bigger shows. Having lugged around many amps in my time, my advise would be to think about the weight as well... Hope that helps :)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1408458242' post='2530375']
Not a combo, but amp in gig bag pocket & easy carry cab = [url="http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/5/MiBass/"]http://ashdownmusic....ation/5/MiBass/[/url]
[/quote]

Very good shout...

All in one combo >> http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-combos/pid24235/cid687/ashdown-mibass-20-400w-compact-bass-combo.asp
Or as separates >> http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-amp-heads/pid32808/cid685/ashdown-mibass-640w-head-with-mi10-cab-bundle.asp
A little over your budget, but worth it, as you'll get a 5 year warranty.

I've got the head and two Mi10 cabs and I'm very happy with the set up, modular, small footprint and easy to move about and store.

Eude

Hmm - cheers for the pointers so far chaps.

I did actually have a look at the Ashdown MiBass in Andertons but forgot all about it. That might just be the ideal solution, it was pretty portable!

I'm still curious about the little TC250-208 though - it's cheap and tiny... which would suggest it might also be a bit naff, but you never know.

[quote name='antk' timestamp='1408460563' post='2530404']
Hmm - cheers for the pointers so far chaps.

I did actually have a look at the Ashdown MiBass in Andertons but forgot all about it. That might just be the ideal solution, it was pretty portable!

I'm still curious about the little TC250-208 though - it's cheap and tiny... which would suggest it might also be a bit naff, but you never know.
[/quote]

I've heard mixed reviews of the 208 Combo, reliability has been and issue with them, but if you look hard enough you can find negative opinions on pretty much everything out there. The early batches of the MiBass 2.0 gear had a bit of a fault, which was easily fixed, but I've been very happy with mine.
I think the MiBass would give you the option to expand your rig, if you go for the combo, or the head and cab, you could add another matching cab and get the full output from the head which would give you more than enough power for most occasions.
IMHO, a MiBass setup will give you a lot more for your money than a standalone combo like the TC 208.

Ultimately though, if you've got a chance to try the gear out, then go do that before you pull the trigger.

Hope that helps dude,
Eude

Thanks @eude - that's pretty sound advice really.

I know that you can connect the TC208 to an external cab, but I'm guessing that by doing that it disables the internal 2x8s... I think I need to find a few hours to go and have a play around.

Edited by antk

[quote name='antk' timestamp='1408462587' post='2530439']
Thanks @eude - that's pretty sound advice really.

I know that you can connect the TC208 to an external cab, but I'm guessing that by doing that it disables the internal 2x8s... I think I need to find a few hours to go and have a play around.
[/quote]

No bother mate, that's what the forum is for!

Keep us all posted on how you get on.

At that price point you are right to think that smaller speakers might not be able to cope very well.
They may wind up to produce some sort of sound ...but will it be a useable bass sound at any sort
of band volume.
This is why 115's are popular, they are capable enough as a one speaker solution to a lot of
people ears, so I would look to double up your speaker config at some point.
I would think that a 4x8 would be a great little rig, but you have to be reasonable what you expect it
to do...and besides that would be way above what you want to pay..??

As a compromise...and bearing in mind I don't know your sound or playing, I'd go 210 combo
which might get pretty loud and look, at some later point, to put another 210 or even a 115 underneath..

I have a tc bg250 208, pluging in a second cab gives you the full 4 ohm load ie 2x8 plus second cab. Love mine plenty loud for a small gig I would say and in my humble opinion the best sounding of all the amps suggestions. And 250 quid is a steal. So far as reliability goes no probs so far and had the bh250 head before this with no problems too. Tone print gives you a lot of tonal choises that non of the other amps or combos can even dream of. So look at this way for 250 quid your getting a nice 2x8 cab, a 250 W class D micro head and half a dozen very useable effects , bargin! If you add a switch 3 pedal you can switch between to effects and it still dont owe you 300 quid ! I stack mine with an Ashdown VS112 , if your near bournemouth come and give it a go or i'l be at the south west bass bash on the 31st with some bits n pieces

You probably won't need anything like the 640 watts of the MiBass2 shown, I've got the original MiBass 220w - a used model would be well within budget & perhaps you could look at a better? more efficient? lighter? cab or 2 :D

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408471422' post='2530541']
If you are interested in going the separates route, you could look at the Ashdown Rootmaster 220. It comes with a "Free" 2x12 cab. all for £299.

[url="http://www.giggear.co.uk/p/ashdown-rm-mag-220-rootmaster-220w-bass-head/"]http://www.giggear.c...220w-bass-head/[/url]
[/quote]

You have to buy a 2x10" or a 15" cab with the head before you can claim the free 2x12", so the cost will substantially exceed the OP's £300 budget :huh:

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1408472261' post='2530556']
You have to buy a 2x10" or a 15" cab with the head before you can claim the free 2x12", so the cost will substantially exceed the OP's £300 budget :huh:
[/quote]

No, I've spoken with the shop. You buy the head and you get a 2x12" cab free of charge. No catches. The offer is on until the end of August.

Edit: I'm also considering their offer for the 420w for £399; with a free 420w 2x12" cab.... unless the guy I spoke with didn't know what he was talking about

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408474870' post='2530595']
No, I've spoken with the shop. You buy the head and you get a 2x12" cab free of charge. No catches. The offer is on until the end of August.

Edit: I'm also considering their offer for the 420w for £399; with a free 420w 2x12" cab.... unless the guy I spoke with didn't know what he was talking about
[/quote]

He possibly didn't as the terms on the "more info" link from that shop state:

"[b]Terms and how to claim:[/b][color=#4E443B][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
1. Purchase a qualifying Rootmaster head and cab from GigGear (online or at our store)."[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#4E443B][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Shame, as it would have been a cracking deal! I've seen this offer elsewhere too as it's an Ashdown offer, not a shop offer and they all say you have to buy the head and cab to qualify. You have to send your proof of purchase to Ashdown to get the cab so even if hte shop says it's alright, I doubt Ashdown would honour it if the receipt only showed the head.[/size][/font][/color]

Thanks for the comments.

Spaners - would you say that you could do small gigs without an extension cab? or would that be pushing it a bit?

I've heard good stuff about the RedSub amps - I know they used to do a nice little head and cab combo, but I can't seem to find that now. Also heard good things about the Ibanez P3110 - but haven't managed to find anywhere local-ish that stocks it.

Thanks again chaps!

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1408471807' post='2530548']
You might also want to consider the Ibanez P3110 or P5110 which fit your budget (Thomann). I don't have any experience of these, hopefully someone can chip in.
[/quote]

I haven't used the P3110, although I have heard it's not as good as the original P5110. I had a P5110 for a few years, gigging it VERY successfully in the exact kind of band situation you need your amp for. It's probably more effective than the MiBass with a single 1x10, or the MiBass combo, but I moved it on as I like my rig to match and I couldn't find the proper Promethean 1x10 extension cab to match, silly I know.

If you can get a P5110 then go for it though, it's amazing, it truly is. God only knows why Ibanez stopped making them. The replacement is good, assuming you get a good one, there have been some serious quality issues, but from what I've read it's not close enough, which is a shame.

The RedSub copies of the P5110 are very impressive, especially considering the original price, just a little more bulky, and aesthetically not as nice, but again, if you can get a good one, it'll tick all your boxes.

Problem with both the Ibanez and RedSub is that you'll need to find a good secondhand one, and folks tend to keep hold of them...

My vote would still be for the Ashdown, purely as it would give you more power for when you need it and a 5 year warranty.

Eude