Why become a member? ×

Semi Hollows

blue

Am I the only cat that digs semi-hollows. I play a Hofner 502 Limited Edition Club Bass ( made in Germany not Korea ) and a Gibson Custom Shop ES-335. I also play a Gibson TBird 1991 and I have a couple of Fender Tele basses but I'm mainly into the whole semi-hoolow look and sound.

Comments, experiences or opinions on Semi-Hollows?

Blue

I have a Hofner '64 Violin bass and an Epiphone Rivoli both have different tonal qualities from each other and sound great in different musical contexts - not for slap of course but the Violin can sound very funky ( just listen to Macca ). I had a Hofner Club too but didn't get on with the body shape.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1408470414' post='2530527']
My first bass was a Commodore semi, now long gone. 37 years on I have conceived a GAS for another one but they're a bit thin on the ground at the moment. :(

[size=3]Something like this would do nicely.[/size]
[/quote]

Very cool looking bass.

Blue

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1408470585' post='2530530']
I have a Hofner '64 Violin bass and an Epiphone Rivoli both have different tonal qualities from each other and sound great in different musical contexts - not for slap of course but the Violin can sound very funky ( just listen to Macca ). I had a Hofner Club too but didn't get on with the body shape.
[/quote]

I know where your coming from. For me I wanted to break away from the traditional bass guitar player standing back by the drummer with a P Bass. I want all the attention I can get. I make sure I'm out front with the guitarists, so I wanted something that was more guitar looking.The Club Bass and The ES-335 fit the bill.

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1408472893' post='2530564']
Recently reissued by Guild ... nothign to do with Warwick ...

[/quote]

You see, it was Warwick calling their bass, "Star" that threw me.Guild has always been cool, however those things are expensive!

Blue

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1408474434' post='2530586']
I knew you'd know the difference once you saw one again
[/quote]

Yeah, thing is, and I think you older guys, 60 and up will remember when all the UK bands came to the US in the mid 60s, that Starfire bass was huge. Everyone had one.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1408474841' post='2530594']
Yeah, thing is, and I think you older guys, 60 and up will remember when all the UK bands came to the US in the mid 60s, that Starfire bass was huge. Everyone had one.

Blue
[/quote]
If you mean the UK bands then it would be more accurate to say everyone (well not everyone but a lot of them) had Epiphone Rivolis. The Starfire was uncommon in UK then and I'm not sure that anyone in UK had one. Of course in US, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Lovin' Spoonful, the Byrds, all featured Starfire bass at one time.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1408475133' post='2530599']
If you mean the UK bands then it would be more accurate to say everyone (well not everyone but a lot of them) had Epiphone Rivolis. The Starfire was uncommon in UK then and I'm not sure that anyone in UK had one. Of course in US, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Lovin' Spoonful, the Byrds, all featured Starfire bass at one time.
[/quote]

Really!? So the EPi Rivolis was a double cutaway body style with contrasting binding?

Well I sort of knew,or should say I knew The Beatles were using a lot of Epi, so it makes sense.

Blue