Why become a member? ×

Loud cabs to match Genz Benz Streamliner 900

MonkeyTrick

Like a lot of you, I love the Streamliner's tone. My only problem is that I need to get more volume (as much as possible) and low end out of my rig for a new noise rock/metal project (It's been going through two well worn Peavey 115 BW cabs for the last few months).

Which cabs would you recommend I look at to get the most out of this amp on a budget?

Currently looking at second hand cabs, around £300-£500. I'd been pointed in the direction of an [url="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ashdown-neo-810-8x10-bass-speaker-cabinet"]Ashdown NEO 810[/url] which go for around £450 used (theres one for sale on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240352-ashdown-neo-810-bass-cab-ex-biffy-clyro-and-lilly-allen/page__p__2526243__hl__ashdown%20neo__fromsearch__1#entry2526243"]here[/url]) but an amp tech I spoke to through here told me I would lose a lot of the bottom end going down that route.

Any suggestions for loud, affordable cabs to match this brilliant head?

Edited by MonkeyTrick

Bass frequencies (low end) on thier own can get lost in a loud and busy mix. The 810 will give you lots of low mids which are very good for punching through the band at volume. With low mids you'll hear yourself rather than just feeling your playing.

Also, there's a Barefaced Big Twin T in the classifieds that should just crush a loud band.

Oh, here's an idea: Streamliner and Schroeder, or Streamliner and Barefaced!

No, really: I had a 1515L with my Streamliner, and it worked very well - the low mid push of the cab tidied up the bottom end of the amp nicely, and sat very well in the mix, in kind of the same place a sealed 810 would.

I also used a Super Twelve T with my Streamliner, which was very very loud indeed, and opened the sound out some more. I'd suggest the Big Twin T would, as has been said, crush the rest of the band...

Edited by Muzz

IMHO Streamliner and 15" cones is not the best match, at least in my personal experience.
I used one with a 15" Tecamp and the volume was not that much, with a lot of basses that made everything a bit muddy (using a P bass).
If you want volume and definition I would look for a 2x12, when I plug the head to my Berg AE212 (I know, not a budget thing unfortunately :gas: ) it really sounds great.

Great suggestions here.

Shep's review has pretty much sold me on the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Big Twin T[/font][/color]. I play a lot of small venues, sometimes without a p.a. and need to be able to shake the walls!

Damn these are expensive, though! (the one on here is around £750) Have these ever seen the £500 mark used or would it be crazy to wait for one at that price?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1408527692' post='2530989']
I've paired it with the BF '69er (as has Bertbass) and it's a great match. Possibly the sealed cab controls the big low end, I don't know, but it sounds great
[/quote]

This looks like a good solution if I cant get my hands on a Big Twin T.

The big twin t in the wanted section is mine.
Can confirm it would crush the rest of the band.
I've used a Carvin bx with it, a little Mark II and I'm currently using a Marcus miller pre with a peavey 1600w power amp and the volume has never needed to go halfway in any situation. It's usually between 2&3 with MM I've been using.