Why become a member? ×

Ampeg shootout 810 comparison

Guitar-restaurant

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1408569163' post='2531508']
Just had a quick view/listen. Unfortunately, at least for me, the rest of the music, particularly the guitar, was so loud I struggled to discern any difference in the tone of the cabinets :(
[/quote]

Forward further into the video, he plays the bass with no backing.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1408569827' post='2531519']
Forward further into the video, he plays the bass with no backing.
[/quote]

Aha, my ears were so shot (listened on headphones) from the loud opening guitar crash that I gave up about 4 minutes in. What's causing the distortion with 2 of the cabinets when he's playing the Fender P with flatwounds using a pick in the second half of the video (think it was with the Vietnam 2007 and USA 2004 cabs)? Was the mic overloaded maybe?

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1408625111' post='2531916']
I fear that with that particular mic placement we're hearing the individual driver more than the cab.
[/quote]

Well... this is what you do in the studio or on the stage. How else would you put a microphone to record a bass cab?
I would like to hear some ambient too, but close mic is the sound you hear in the studio recordings.

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1408955210' post='2534783']
Well... this is what you do in the studio or on the stage. How else would you put a microphone to record a bass cab?
I would like to hear some ambient too, but close mic is the sound you hear in the studio recordings.
[/quote]

this is true but for a cab comparison maybe a more of how a player using it as backline may hear it or a crowd member

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1409005065' post='2535520']

this is true but for a cab comparison maybe a more of how a player using it as backline may hear it or a crowd member

andy
[/quote]

Very much agree with you on that one.

That aside, I didn't much like the Vietnam or 2004 US Cabs. I preferred the Chinese one to those.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1409050072' post='2535738']
Very much agree with you on that one.

That aside, I didn't much like the Vietnam or 2004 US Cabs. I preferred the Chinese one to those.
[/quote]

Those were the couple I heard breaking up - I didn't much like their sound either.