Why become a member? ×

Limiter settings

uncle psychosis

Hey folks

I've got a GLX BLM-1 compressor/limiter which is a clone of the boss LMB-3.

I'm trying to set it just to tame any big peaks, maybe add a touch of sustain but nothing too major.

Any tips on setting it up? I've got the ratio quite high and the threshold too (the output from my M-2000 is really hot). I find it hard to hear any actual limiting though! Any good tips for working out what its doing?

Also, for this application, should it go before or after my dirt pedal? Thats the only other pedal I have. I know I can try it and see, but how would you do it (and why?)

Having it set "right" should mean you don't know when it's on, but know when you turn it off.
Ideally, you want a meter to set it up. I had a lend of the boss one & gave it back after much playing about.
As for position, that's up to you. Some prefer start, some the end & some in the midst of the chain.

I put the ratio on full, start with the threshold all the way off (so clockwise) and then gradually roll the threshold down until I can feel it working. Then I back it off very slightly and I'm done

If it has the "enhance" control from the boss pedal just keep this off. It definitely doesn't enhance anything

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1408572822' post='2531551']
Hey folks

I've got a GLX BLM-1 compressor/limiter which is a clone of the boss LMB-3.

I'm trying to set it just to tame any big peaks, maybe add a touch of sustain but nothing too major.

Any tips on setting it up? I've got the ratio quite high and the threshold too (the output from my M-2000 is really hot). I find it hard to hear any actual limiting though! Any good tips for working out what its doing?

Also, for this application, should it go before or after my dirt pedal? Thats the only other pedal I have. I know I can try it and see, but how would you do it (and why?)
[/quote]

I had an LMB-3 which was cool, but now I love the EBS Multicomp compressor.
I like it so much, I have two. :lol: One on the big pedalboard, and one on the mini one (just tuner and compressor). It does change a little the tone, at least in multiband setting which is what I normally use, but as I have it as an "always on" pedal, it doesn't bother me at all. It sounds good and it's subtle in the way it operates, but it does its job fantastically well.

You could borrow one of mine to check out in your own time, if you wish. You know where to find me ;)

It's very easy to use: just one knob really, the gain knob doesn't count. It can add sustain, but the way I use it it doesn't add much, but it deals with the fingerstyle vs. slap very well, and in fact, slap sounds better through it, clearer somehow yet full bodied, without it I would have to compromise between cutting through or having the right amount of "oomph".

• 3 months later...

I would unplug it and get on with playing music. :-) compression can't increase sustain, that's a commonly stated myth. The sustain is coming from your bass; the compressor just makes the inital sound softer and increases the level when the note is fading, making for the illusion of sustain but all it does really is take control out of your hands and place it in the electronics. Might as well just play a synth; there's unlimited sustain there. :-) Now, heavy feedback can increase suatin as the sound waves act directly on the instrument but that's a different beast altogether.