Why become a member? ×

bass synth

Kevin Dean

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1408636616' post='2532106']
Mmmm ,maybe something like the sonus(poxy spellchecker), would be more suitable .
I like the look of it myself. Think it's called the b2m or something ...
[/quote]
It's the Sonuus B2M. They're usable when playing so as to give a very clean fundamental, I.e. avoiding transients and overtones.

If you stick to playing everything an octave up on the bass (and transpose it back down at the synth) then yeah a GK-3B and a GR-55 works surprisingly well if you get it set up properly. Latency isn't too bad if you play higher up, and tracking is definitely a lot better than it used to be.

I've been thinking about getting another MIDI set up, but I can't see myself taking a GR-55 plus all my pedals to rehearsals and gigs, and it won't replace my pedals, and I need my pedals, so that's why I haven't done it. It's purely a matter of luggage.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1408734005' post='2533113']
If you stick to playing everything an octave up on the bass (and transpose it back down at the synth) then yeah a GK-3B and a GR-55 works surprisingly well if you get it set up properly. Latency isn't too bad if you play higher up, and tracking is definitely a lot better than it used to be.

I've been thinking about getting another MIDI set up, but I can't see myself taking a GR-55 plus all my pedals to rehearsals and gigs, and it won't replace my pedals, and I need my pedals, so that's why I haven't done it. It's purely a matter of luggage.
[/quote]
Can you use a wireless with this kind of set up ?

The Fishman unit looks fun, but uses a USB receiver which I don't think will pass a signal into a GR55, or a VB-99 come to that. You would need a USB - Midi converter, I think they exist but haven't seen one before. You could use it via a computer to trigger synth samples in something like Studio One or Logic.

I reckon it might fit onto a Bass VI, depends on how adjustable the spacing is.

I have not found a way to use a wireless with a VB-99, which uses the same GK-3B and 13-pin cable.

I don't know about the GR55, but with a VB-99 you can go up to 36" scale length. Unfortunately a VB-99 doesnt' do the kind of string pad and piano sounds that you're looking for, but it does have MIDI out so it might be possible to use that to drive an expander or keyboard.

Latency and tracking isn't an issue with a GK-3B by the way: there's no buffering involved.

Tracking on the B2M isn't great and you have to be super clean. I'm told the newer i2M is better, haven't tried one of those.

If you want to play string pads and piano parts, you will need to be a demon two-handed tapper to keep a bass line going as well.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1409308275' post='2538496']
Latency and tracking isn't an issue with a GK-3B by the way: there's no buffering involved.
[/quote]

Latency isn't an issue with the VB99 but it is with the GR models. There's just no way around it, the bottom octave (particularly bottom 4th) of a bass guitar the waveform is so long it takes a little while to figure out what the pitch is, even with the best current software and the cleanest signal possible.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1409308275' post='2538496']
The Fishman unit looks fun, but uses a USB receiver which I don't think will pass a signal into a GR55, or a VB-99 come to that. You would need a USB - Midi converter, I think they exist but haven't seen one before. You could use it via a computer to trigger synth samples in something like Studio One or Logic.

[/quote]

This is a USB to MIDI convertor http://www.dv247.com/cables/esi-midimate-ii-cable-style-usb-2-0-midi-interface--65367 - but you can't always guarantee that it'll work correctly with both computer and MIDI unit (it only does some of what I wanted to use it for with my Zoom B9 editor software).

I can't help thinking that for the playing style you need to adopt with a bass triggering a synth (simple, clean notes) and the possible problems with tracking and latency that it'd be simpler learning how to play some simple lines on a small synth (which is the direction I took when I was more active musically).

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1409340372' post='2538887']I can't help thinking that for the playing style you need to adopt with a bass triggering a synth (simple, clean notes) and the possible problems with tracking and latency that it'd be simpler learning how to play some simple lines on a small synth (which is the direction I took when I was more active musically).[/quote]

I know what you mean but the kit is pretty good these days. If you happen upon someone with a MIDI bass setup, give it a go, you'll be surprised. Once the pickup is mounted right, the bass set up properly and the whole thing paired properly with the synth 'brain' tracking is really solid, the only issue really is latency down low and that seems to be an unsolvable problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I play a GR55 from a modified Tobias 6-string. Tracking on the low E is fine, and the low B is usable. Expressiveness is excellent.

The GR55 contains the capacity to create patches with 2 synth tones, a modelled bass tone (zero latency) and your bass pickups. It's supremely configurable. Gary willis uses one!

It also contains 2 effects units so creating sounds is a pretty mind blowing experience.

It's possible to have different sounds on different strings - as an example, I'm doing "let me entertain you" as a cover this evening, and the top 3 strings are doing the piano intro, the A and B strings are muted, and the low E is pitch shifted using a modelled P bass up to an F so I can just strike the open string and play the intro part. Then the Ctl foot switch flips to the regular bass pickup ( all this is configured in the patch) for the rest of the song. Outstanding!

Don't be put off: try a GR55 with a well set-up GK3B and see what you think. I run the GR55 into a Bass pos XT for other effects. I run the amp flat, only dialling in anything the venue needs at sound check.

Has anyone tried this? [url="http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/"]http://jamorigin.com...ts/midi-guitar/[/url]

I have the original Sonuus G2M (the original guitar one, and not the latest model). I don't play cleanly enough for it to be usable live.

Edit: I tried the MIDI Guitar software (I downloaded the Mac OSX trial). It's certainly very interesting used with guitar (mine are tuned to all fourths so could be seen as mini basses :) ). I also played it with the higher notes on my seven string. It seems to track from the D string upwards, or thereabouts. The software doesn't have tuning presets for bass, only guitar. I think I'd need to experiment with input level a bit, but the software seems very promising for monophonic lines.

You can use the guitar to MIDI converter to drive VSTs on your computer if you get the software to scan for them.

IMHO everyone here with guitars or extended range basses should have a go with this software. It's certainly interesting, but like a lot of things, it's a new instrument and it will be necessary (for me anyhow) to learn how to play the instrument.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='basexperience' timestamp='1411813844' post='2563002']
Don't be put off: try a GR55 with a well set-up GK3B and see what you think. I run the GR55 into a Bass pos XT for other effects. I run the amp flat, only dialling in anything the venue needs at sound check.
[/quote]

The Tobias is still working well then :)

I must admit that I've heard this bass working with the Roland kit and it sounded really nice. Didn't hear any glitching or tracking issues :)

Have you??? Gigged it last night - "let me entertain you" worked really well: the only enhancement now is to alter the patches so that the synths are output on the stereo line and the bass and modelled bass tones are fed out of the extra mono output. Then I can feed the piano, etc out to the PA!

• 11 months later...

i know I said I wasn't getting one , but I've had the GR55 for about a month now , I'm very impressed with it . It's definitely worth going through the manual & setting every thing up properly including the pick up , & the back up from roland has been excellent . I've put it on my shuker 36" & perhaps the extra string tension helps the tracking ? It won't track 16th notes very well though but on the whole I'm very pleased. if at first you find a sound you like but you think it's not tracking as well as it should , you can probably sort it out via editing .

Edited by Kevin Dean