Why become a member? ×

NBD- Squier Vintage Modified V Precision in Olympic White

yorks5stringer

Decided I'd try a Squier Precision V so this arrived today.
[attachment=169775:P1030862.JPG]
[attachment=169776:P1030863.JPG]
[attachment=169777:P1030864.JPG]
[attachment=169778:P1030865.JPG]
[attachment=169779:P1030866.JPG]
[attachment=169780:P1030867.JPG]
[attachment=169781:P1030867.JPG]
Nice neck on it, no sharp or uneven frets, rich golden colour and the OW finish looks good apart from 2 faults in the clear coat just where I can see them on the belly bout( see below). Swapped out the strings for some BC Flats, tweaked the truss road, dropped the saddles and it sounds really good. As it's a Basswood body it's quite lightweight and the neck want to touch the floor, so using a Mono wide strap.

However did a quick price comparison and against my better judgement went with Thomann, despite having my last 2 Basses from them delivered damaged. Everything looked OK and it did not appear to have been dropped when it arrived so swapped out strings, adjusted the action then noticed a small clear coat dimple on the top bout and close to it, a further mark under the clear coat too. Will now have to play the merry dance with Thomann: Me " There some manufacturing faults on this Bass, see the photos". Them : "it looks fine to us". Me " I'd like a replacement that is perfect please" Them: "Send it back, we'll decide if it's faulty". Me: "I'm telling you it's faulty...etc etc. Should have gone with a UK Supplier who are almost the same price....Has literally taken the gloss off it...!

Edited by yorks5stringer

Ah, just keep it. The relic process has begun - and anyway now you don't have to worry about putting the first ding in it... ;)

Edit: I had the oly white VM Jazz V for a while and thought it was very playable. Sounded great and good build quality, too.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408631398' post='2532025']
Ah, just keep it. The relic process has begun - and anyway now you don't have to worry about putting the first ding in it... ;)

Edit: I had the oly white VM Jazz V for a while and thought it was very playable. Sounded great and good build quality, too.
[/quote]

Yes, where's the sander....?!

Yes, but there's always that golden period before you've put the first ding in it: mine lasted about 20 mins until I noticed the faults. I don't mind to much damaging a Bass in action, that's life, but it annoys me to get yet another one pre-damaged......after all it's not a " road worn " series!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1408631142' post='2532018']
However did a quick price comparison and against my better judgement went with Thomann, despite having my last 2 Basses from them delivered damaged. Everything looked OK and it did not appear to have been dropped when it arrived so swapped out strings, adjusted the action then noticed a small clear coat dimple on the top bout and close to it, a further mark under the clear coat too. Will now have to play the merry dance with Thomann: Me " There some manufacturing faults on this Bass, see the photos". Them : "it looks fine to us". Me " I'd like a replacement that is perfect please" Them: "Send it back, we'll decide if it's faulty". Me: "I'm telling you it's faulty...etc etc. Should have gone with a UK Supplier who are almost the same price....Has literally taken the gloss off it...!
[/quote]

I've just had a very similar experience with Thomann - bass arrived with badly bent tuner and (clearly not their fault) a wonky bridge. All packaging undamaged. Just been through the rigmarole of sending pictures (something I considered refusing to do but decided it could delay the process further) and having them claim their 'guitar expert' could see no fault with the bridge. I got a bit shirty in the end and insisted they take steps to arrange it's return, at which point they sent the shipping labels.
It's really put me off using them again!

Anyway, sorry for the hijack! Beautiful bass :)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1408635598' post='2532081']
Yes, but there's always that golden period before you've put the first ding in it: mine lasted about 20 mins until I noticed the faults. I don't mind to much damaging a Bass in action, that's life, but it annoys me to get yet another one pre-damaged......after all it's not a " road worn " series!
[/quote]

Seriously though it IS a pain. You've handed over your hard-earned so you should reasonably expect to receive a perfect product.

I've always had good service from Thomann until recently when I needed to return a couple of items I thought were below par. What a performance that was.

I played one of these in Cardiff recently and It was a really great bass. The pickups were installed badly but the finish was pretty good. I never expect a perfect finish on these kind of instruments, and to be honest I don't usually expect perfect finish with Fender and they are over 1k new.

I was actually encouraged to buy it by my better half but for some stupid reason I decided against it, there was even a secondhand P retro unit for sale on here which would have been a great upgrade.

My experience with Thomann (in June) was very different.

New bass arrived. Had some (very minor, but annoying) cosmetic faults that should have been caught by the manufacturer before leaving the factory.

I sent them photos and asked "what can we do?", they sent me a pre-paid return label within the hour (no quibbles), I sent the bass back, they shipped a replacement to me about three hours after the faulty one arrived with them. They were also a lot more helpful and friendly via email than the last British shop I tried to return something to.

Sorry to hear about your problems with them. :(

Edited by uncle psychosis

• 2 weeks later...