Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='three' timestamp='1412361776' post='2568314']
...The relicing is frighteningly good but Limelights are brilliant players with very authentic tone. I've never been able to get the action down so low on a Fender as I can on the Limelight J. Stunning value...
[/quote]

I'm very glad you think so! Seller's remorse..? No, of course not... :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

And another one to add to the fold. My '63P in Burgundy Mist heavy relic :)

Met Mark in the services in Tiverton to pick up. Great bloke, very friendly and most importantly makes great Basses! As others have mentioned, this one feels instantly familiar. Very comfortable neck, low action and the main draw...very very resonant! Fantastic bell like E string. Can't wait to gig it. Cheers Mark.

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/LemonCello/library/Limelight%2063P?sort=3&page=1

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1413741780' post='2581455']
And another one to add to the fold. My '63P in Burgundy Mist heavy relic :)

Met Mark in the services in Tiverton to pick up. Great bloke, very friendly and most importantly makes great Basses! As others have mentioned, this one feels instantly familiar. Very comfortable neck, low action and the main draw...very very resonant! Fantastic bell like E string. Can't wait to gig it. Cheers Mark.

[url="http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/LemonCello/library/Limelight%2063P?sort=3&page=1"]http://s1168.photobu...P?sort=3&page=1[/url]
[/quote]

Is Mark now offering up the covers? If so when I finally get my order in I'll be having some of those!!

I'm slowly becoming a fan of reliced instruments but one thing that's bothering me; how do people think the bit of body between the g-string & the controls gets worn like the two recently posted basses? I don't think I've touched that part of any of my basses in the last 15 years...

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1413748971' post='2581564']
...how do people think the bit of body between the g-string & the controls gets worn like the two recently posted basses?
I don't think I've touched that part of any of my basses in the last 15 years...
[/quote]

You obviously never play with a pick. :)

Does anyone know if Limelight do any options? could you have blocks and/or a binding on the neck if you wanted?

While I'm at it with the questions does Mark offer a light relic? all the basses I've seen on here and in real life are very lovely but a bit too worn and rusty for my liking.

Thought I'd ask here 1st :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1413793520' post='2581798']
Does anyone know if Limelight do any options? could you have blocks and/or a binding on the neck if you wanted?

While I'm at it with the questions does Mark offer a light relic? all the basses I've seen on here and in real life are very lovely but a bit too worn and rusty for my liking.

Thought I'd ask here 1st :)
[/quote]

I asked him about blocks - he can do a block'n'bound J-profile neck for an an additional cost.

I also asked him about lighter-touch rellic'ing, and he said he can reign it in a bit.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413749413' post='2581567']
You obviously never play with a pick. :)
[/quote]

Ah, so that's what it is! I've used a pick once but haven't touched one for bass since...

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1413793825' post='2581803']
I asked him about blocks - he can do a block'n'bound J-profile neck for an an additional cost.

I also asked him about lighter-touch rellic'ing, and he said he can reign it in a bit.
[/quote]

Cheers for the info, just what I needed.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1413793841' post='2581804']
Ah, so that's what it is! I've used a pick once but haven't touched one for bass since...
[/quote]

Obviously it's not the pick [i]per se[/i] that creates the wear, but the two or three fingers that brace on the body with the palm over the bridge and thumb and forefinger holding the pick. At least it is in my case.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1413795238' post='2581827']
[/quote]

Year Of Birth Jazz incoming, Dave..? :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1413795238' post='2581827']

[/quote]

I asked for a 'light' relic job and it's still quite heavy IMO. I really love it but if you want a REALLY light relic job, make sure you let him know :-)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1413836965' post='2582661']
I asked for a 'light' relic job and it's still quite heavy IMO. I really love it but if you want a REALLY light relic job, make sure you let him know :-)
[/quote]

Yes even the light relics I've seen on this thread (including yours) would be too much for my taste, especially the metalwork, some tarnishing is good but I wouldn't want rust, I have one of the older Fender Road Worn Jazz Basses and that has about the right level or distress in my book.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1413876276' post='2582914']

Yes even the light relics I've seen on this thread (including yours) would be too much for my taste, especially the metalwork, some tarnishing is good but I wouldn't want rust, I have one of the older Fender Road Worn Jazz Basses and that has about the right level or distress in my book.
[/quote]

Yep be careful on this my medium relic is um.....trashed and the metal work is dustier than preferred. Mark did give me the option of waiting for another but I took it. Do I regret it.......nah.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1413918855' post='2583651']
Yep be careful on this my medium relic is um.....trashed and the metal work is dustier than preferred. Mark did give me the option of waiting for another but I took it. Do I regret it.......nah.
[/quote]

I'm glad you don't regret your Limelight even if it is a tad more relic'd then you would have liked :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1413802094' post='2581972']

Obviously it's not the pick [i]per se[/i] that creates the wear, but the two or three fingers that brace on the body with the palm over the bridge and thumb and forefinger holding the pick. At least it is in my case.

[/quote]
Seen plenty with wear between E and A so not always true - some people dig deep

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1413961379' post='2583983']

I'm glad you don't regret your Limelight even if it is a tad more relic'd then you would have liked :)
[/quote]

It's funny. I think when I asked for mine with a 'light' relic finish I had the same level of relicing as my Nate Mendel in mind (which is also described as light). Obviously, every one is different and whilst my expectation (and I imagine most people's expectation of a relic job they haven't seen) will be similar to the expectations you get when ordering a custom instrument. You have a vision, as does the builder, and whilst they may not match up, it doesn't mean that I am not happy with it. In fact, the relic job on mine exceeded my expectations and looks a lot more considered than the job on my Nate Mendel.

Mark clearly knows what he is doing and has lots of genuine vintage Fenders in his possession to refer to so Id recommend him to anyone wanting an excellent quality relic bass.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1413969244' post='2584093']

Mark clearly knows what he is doing and has lots of genuine vintage Fenders in his possession to refer to so Id recommend him to anyone wanting an excellent quality relic bass.
[/quote]
+1 :)