Why become a member? ×

The 'Show us your Limelight!' thread

wateroftyne

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1413969244' post='2584093']

It's funny. I think when I asked for mine with a 'light' relic finish I had the same level of relicing as my Nate Mendel in mind (which is also described as light). Obviously, every one is different and whilst my expectation (and I imagine most people's expectation of a relic job they haven't seen) will be similar to the expectations you get when ordering a custom instrument. You have a vision, as does the builder, and whilst they may not match up, it doesn't mean that I am not happy with it. In fact, the relic job on mine exceeded my expectations and looks a lot more considered than the job on my Nate Mendel.

Mark clearly knows what he is doing and has lots of genuine vintage Fenders in his possession to refer to so Id recommend him to anyone wanting an excellent quality relic bass.
[/quote]

I think Mark puts some or all of the relicing work out to another builder. He contacted me and said that the level of relicing on my commission was more than I'd requested and sent me detailed pics. He then gave me the option of waiting for another to be made up, I was happy to try it out and as Mark is such a nice guy he threw in a Hiscox at cost and a discount on the bass. When I got the bass, yes it was more reliced than I'd probably go for if they were lined up in a shop but as it plays and sounds so good I decided it was staying with me. Would I buy another......oh yes.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1414178614' post='2586859']
I said I was never going to post on BC again but my Limelight P is ready and it should be logged IMHO so:

CAR with maple, parchment scratchplate and Trubass strings.

I collect it in week 2 November.
[/quote]

Oh Lordy, THAT is gonna thump :D :D

Congrats and enjoy when the time comes.

I said I was never going to post on BC again but my Limelight P is ready and it should be logged IMHO so:
CAR with maple, parchment scratchplate and Trubass strings. I collect it in week 2 November.
[/quote]

Very, very nice. :) Why weren't you going to post on BC again, btw? PM me.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408661373' post='2532404']
[b]Limelight 1960 Stack-Knob Jazz Bass[/b]

Just in case there's still someone who hasn't seen or heard this... ;)
[b][url="http://markjaysmith.co.uk/audio/Mercy_FullWV.wav"]This is what it sounds like[/url] [/b]...and, some pics:

[/quote]

Wish I'd bought this when it went up for sale!!!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1414180892' post='2586914']
Thank God for discreet, you always cheer me up bud (even if you did flog your Limelight :rolleyes: )
[/quote]

Glad to be of service. My Limelight Jazz was possibly one of the best bass guitars I have ever owned in forty years. It played superbly and it sounded sublime. The guy I sold it to (who has decades of experience with both relics and vintage instruments) says it is the best bass he has owned, claims the relic work is up there with the best he has seen and is absolutely delighted with it.

So why did I sell it? Well... I have long admired relic guitars and basses on the internet and always wanted to own one. When my Limelight Jazz arrived I was over the moon, really - especially as it was such a great bass in its own right regardless of the relic work. But... after a short while, the fact it was a relic really began to bother me for some reason. I felt a little bit... fraudulent. That's why I moved it on. So I like to look at relics at gigs and online, but it turns out I don't actually want to own one myself. Strange, eh..? :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1414191798' post='2587069']
But... after a short while, the fact it was a relic really began to bother me for some reason. I felt a little bit... fraudulent. That's why I moved it on. So I like to look at relics at gigs and online, but it turns out I don't actually want to own one myself. Strange, eh..? :)
[/quote]

You're just not right ye like.

[quote name='andytoad' timestamp='1414185539' post='2587000']

Wish I'd bought this when it went up for sale!!!
[/quote]
I've just put it down - it looks every bit as good in the corner as it does in those pics - just outstanding in every way!

Edited by three

CAR with maple, parchment scratchplate and Trubass strings.

I collect it in week 2 November.
[/quote]

That's lovely. Is that a J width neck?

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1414359684' post='2588664']

That's the best looking Jazz I've ever seen.

Is it Capri orange?
[/quote]

You're not the first person to say that! First was me, then another bass chatter.

I got a pantone code for a shade of orange I liked and Mark made it for me. Not sure if there's a name but Capri is close enough.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1414375961' post='2588759']
Sorry to hijack this a little... these are some of the first relics I've ever seen and really liked, absolutely amazing work! How much do they go for roughly new?
[/quote] Variable, depending on your build requirements but generally from about £750 upwards, I think the cash price of my Precision 70's replica was £765 but I did a trade with Mark , i.e. A bass plus cash...he'll give a very respectable price in trading too :)