Why become a member? ×

Looking at getting a new (read cheap/used) bass - help

bassfunk

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408970006' post='2535000']
I have been playing mine for over a year now but I still would not be able to tell if a bass was any good really, I know what you are saying but it only works if you can already play fairly well, most people in this situation as I was are beginners or maybe the next step up, taking a good player along might be better but not everyone has a local good player to hand with the time to go and look at basses often 100 miles away do they? If I was a pro that warranted a year long trial of a bass I doubt I would be looking at Gedo basses or G4M :D I can't imagine many sellers on gumtree or ebay agreeing to any trial other than a dabble in their front front never mind 2 weeks? So that puts us back to shops probably on a sale or return basis, anything even one step up from my Gedo in a shop is going to be £1800+ thats the shops that stock such things most items in that price range at a shop are bows! :lol:
[/quote]

When i bought my first proper bass after my laminate disaster which was probably roughly about the same price as your new gedo (mine had been through a couple of hands by then) i was given a two week trial so i could bring it to my teacher, to a rehearsal, see how i coped with the size (it was a full size and i was quite new) and just generally to see how i got on with it. I did the same when i sold that bass, gave a two week trial to two people who i didn't know. Double bass's in general are hard things to sell, you have to be a bit trusting.

Edited by fatgoogle

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='malbass' timestamp='1408715758' post='2532893']
I recently upgraded from an Antoni to a second hand Strunal that I found on eBay. After taking the Strunal to a luthier for a new bridge, soundpost, nut and set up, I'd spent a similar amount to your budget. In my case I'd say that the upgrade was most definitely worthwhile. The Antoni is a great starter bass and definitely served its purpose and got me hooked on Double Bass but I'm not convinced that it would have been worth spending money on trying to improve it.

I'm sure if you're patient something will come up that meets your needs and fits your budget! :)
[/quote]

I have just got my first DB , an Antoni as it happens ............ From Mal :D
While I haven't spent any money on it , I have put a few hours in lowering the action a fair bit , I have small hands you see :blush: .
I am now in a position to learn how to play it , and it feels great , I might come to the Derby bash just to feel how other guys have them set up , I have only ever held one , and then took my tools to it :rolleyes: .
I think in my case it was just bite the bullet and find an opportunity to get one, I had been looking for a while and was suitably confused as to what I wanted or needed, I now have something to learn a bit of the craft on and am really looking forward to it .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1411066395' post='2556201']

I have just got my first DB , an Antoni as it happens ............ From Mal :D
While I haven't spent any money on it , I have put a few hours in lowering the action a fair bit , I have small hands you see :blush: .
I am now in a position to learn how to play it , and it feels great , I might come to the Derby bash just to feel how other guys have them set up , I have only ever held one , and then took my tools to it :rolleyes: .
I think in my case it was just bite the bullet and find an opportunity to get one, I had been looking for a while and was suitably confused as to what I wanted or needed, I now have something to learn a bit of the craft on and am really looking forward to it .
[/quote]

Sounds like you've been busy Kev! :-)

I've owned over 20 uprights & EUB's over the years, currently I've got 4 double basses and 2 EUB's

As an experiment in portability I aquired a 1/2 size Antoni last year. Although it sounded good for a small instrument the neck was way too skinny for me so I sold it on to a friend who loves it.

After researching other smaller options I came across this demo video by bass chatter hubrad.

[media]http://youtu.be/4DFlTWfYF1A[/media]

I found a used one, it needed some setting up but it sounds great acoustic or amplified with a Bassmax and it fits in the side door of my car standing up!

Thanks Hugh

I'll bring it to the bash with a couple of others for comparison.

Edited by Mr Bassman

[quote name='malbass' timestamp='1411071934' post='2556314']
Sounds like you've been busy Kev! :-)
[/quote]

One tries Mal :) , but that is just joinery , the bit I can't quite understand yet how you get to know where your fingers are supposed to go , especially when they are up over your left ear and you cant see them , even with a rubber neck wearing bifocals !!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1411176760' post='2557332']
One tries Mal :) , but that is just joinery , the bit I can't quite understand yet how you get to know where your fingers are supposed to go , especially when they are up over your left ear and you cant see them , even with a rubber neck wearing bifocals !!
[/quote]

Muscle memory...... once you've done it enough times whilst looking you just seem to "know" without looking..... that's my theory anyway lol

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1411176760' post='2557332']
[/quote]

Imagine someone playing the accordion. They can't see what their left hand is doing, can they..? You don't need to look (you shouldn't even [i]want [/i]to look..!); just do it, and listen..! ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411322088' post='2558417']
Imagine someone playing the accordion. They can't see what their left hand is doing, can they..? You don't need to look (you shouldn't even [i]want [/i]to look..!); just do it, and listen..! ;)
[/quote]

If I'm remembering this correctly they do get a couple of buttons with dimples in the top so they have a reference point without looking though!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1411322682' post='2558422']
If I'm remembering this correctly they do get a couple of buttons with dimples in the top so they have a reference point without looking though!
[/quote]

Couldn't you put thin metal strips, about the height of dimples, along the fingerboard, where the notes are..? That should sort it... :mellow:[size=4] [/size]