Why become a member? ×

What is it with some younger players?

molan

I know this topic has been around before but it's the first time I've experienced it first-hand so thought I'd share.

I was asked, at very short notice, to play a small 'acoustic' gig last night. I was told it would be a few singers with acoustic guitars and a pianist.

The guys I knew wanted some bass for 4-5 songs to add a bit of depth and drive as they didn't have a drummer.

I took a Fender Custom Shop Relic Jazz, nothing flashy so it would blend in reasonably well with the acoustic guitars and a tiny MarkBass MicroMark combo.

We set up, played a few numbers and made way for the next act. I left my bass on the stage because I'd been told I was the only bass player there.

Next act comes on and a twenty-something guy strolls straight over to my bass and straps it on. No 'is it ok if I use your bass and amp' or anything. My first thought was that he had a bit of a cheek but then I thought maybe he just thought it was a 'house bass' so assumed anyone could use it.

He failed to get any sort of sound out of it because he obviously didn't understand how a tuner pedal worked and it was muting the signal.

I showed him what to do and made a point of saying it was ok for him to borrow MY bass and amp.

Once he got some sound he immediately started playing random Chic bass parts too loud whilst the musicians were being introduced. Once the song started it was obvious he could play but what he was playing was totally different from the original bass part of the song, slightly out of time and wholly inappropriate for the song!

They played about 3 songs of gradually deteriorating quality and finished. He left the bass plugged in and turned on without muting it. He then strolled right past me without a word of thanks.

I left the bass on stage because we were due back on soon.

Then another young guy did pretty much exactly the same thing!

Borrowed the bass without asking, overplayed horribly and drowned out some of the guitars and vocals and then buggered off.

I wasn't particularly looking for gratitude for lending my gear but a simple word of thanks might have been nice.

It was also a shame that the only people who overplayed and potentially spoiled songs because of a lack of basic stagecraft were these two bass players.

All the other musicians on the night blended in really well and supported each other musically but the two bassists just came across as arrogant and disrespectful :(

IME this arrogance and disregard is typical of a lot of this current generation. It seems to go with a sense of "entitlement" they all seem to have.
This follows in the jobs market too. They all want great jobs from day1. Plus it [i]has [/i]to be something they will enjoy every moment of every day, or they won't do it.

I also have a step-daughter who's looking to move rented accommodation. She can't find anything she can afford, so somehow it's her Mum's responsibility to fork out the extra or house her AND the bf. Besides, they can't both go to their own respective families can they?

Or maybe that's just the ones I know?

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1408703426' post='2532669']
Whenever I play, my bass goes straight back in its case as the last note dies, be that at sound check, or either set.
[/quote]

Very much this. I think the OP showed remarkable restraint. My piss would already have been at 100 degrees Celcius (it being necessary for me to be out in public anyway) but this would have caused a volcanic bladder explosion. I think it's about time kids learnt manners at school, because they certainly don't learn them from their parents.

Major-General Herbert Gussett DSO
40 Acacia Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408703487' post='2532673']
IME this arrogance and disregard is typical of a lot of this current generation. It seems to go with a sense of "entitlement" they all seem to have.
This follows in the jobs market too. They all want great jobs from day1. Plus it [i]has [/i]to be something they will enjoy every moment of every day, or they won't do it.

I also have a step-daughter who's looking to move rented accommodation. She can't find anything she can afford, so somehow it's her Mum's responsibility to fork out the extra or house her AND the bf. Besides, they can't both go to their own respective families can they?

Or maybe that's just the ones I know?
[/quote]

Funnily enough I am looking to move out and as I'm a student phoned student loans to see how my finances would be if I moved out and was told "you're under 25 so you're still dependant on your parents, we won't give you any extra help".

Back on topic. I'm 20 years old and haven't played that many gigs (maybe 20) but I would never go to a gig without my bass. I don't own an amp/cab/combo so I always check there is one in the venue before hand. Regarding the overplaying, I realised about a year ago that I done this all the time and decided there and then it sounded bollocks and made me look like a right git.

If I've ever borrowed gear I've always done what I can to show gratitude :)

Not really surprised as we seem to be breeding a society that expects and demands so much.
The sense of fariness is out the window and it is a free-for-all where people will take what they
want and if someone is stupid enough to let them take it, then more fool them.
And they say we evolve..???

I recently bailed out a touring bill and altho I didn't make a big thing of lending the stuff, none of the guys
thanked me..until I went up on stage and told them how to work it. At least they were more grateful when
they realised. I put that down to a communication problem.
My stance with lending stuff is I am more incliend to do it if I think the favour is appreciated, and I'd get
pretty obstinant if some chav behaved like they were doing ME a favour.
Admire your restraint Barrie...

I think by the sounds of it you [i]were[/i] the only bass player there! I agree that you showed much restraint - I'd have been up there as the first hand reached for the bass with a quick 'Oi - that's mine!' (or similar).

Maybe, since it was on stage unattended, the other bass players could be forgiven for assuming that your bass was a house instrument, but a word of thanks goes a long way in these situations, and there's no excuse for you not getting that at least.

If it were my bass, I probably wouldn't have left it on stage or lent it in the first place, but definitely wouldn't have been able to watch someone else playing it. Torture.

I don't think us 40 and 50 somethings can be too high and mighty about attitude like this. After all most of us are the parents of these teens and early twenty somethings. So where does that attitude come from? And has that attitude really been any different in that age group throughout time. As BetaFunk says it is present in a lot more than just youngsters.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408703487' post='2532673']
This follows in the jobs market too. They all want great jobs from day1. Plus it [i]has [/i]to be something they will enjoy every moment of every day, or they won't do it.[/quote]

[IMG]http://38.media.tumblr.com/df31695e7ec1ca0c1227deab23dec222/tumblr_n7paqqSV0W1tznibeo1_500.gif[/IMG]

I agree with posts above that they may have assumed it was a house instrument; could there even have been some miscommunication along these lines? However, it would have been polite/appropriate for them to check first. Never leave your bass unattended on the stage at this type of gig! I'm glad you used the word "some" in the title. This could equally apply to "some" older and middle aged/inconsiderate/ignorant players/people!

By the way, if it was me and they did ask first, the answer would still have been NO!

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1408704617' post='2532691']
I don't think it has anything to do with age but more to do with manners and respect which are sometimes lacking in people of ANY age.
[/quote]

very much this.

How old were they? I'm not young anymore unfortunately, but it does wind me up when people who consider themselves older think that age has anything to do with manners, its more likely just bad mannered people.

I would moan about the same atitudes when I was 18, as I would now when I am 35, rude is rude. I've experienced lots of rude older people, and I have never put it down to an age thing, or a sense of entitlement due to them being older.

Either way, you were a better person than I would have been by keeping your cool, its a shame they didnt appreciate it.

Edited by Wooks79

"They're young" would be my initial response.

People soon learn if you have words with them. The question is; have you just shown them this behavior is fine by not throwing a hissy fit?

From the way you've described it & the fact none of them bought their own kit (which is of course crazy) I'd say it sounds like they'd been told the kit was provided but then the provider dropped out which is why you were called in at late notice.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408704566' post='2532689']
Not really surprised as we seem to be breeding a society that expects and demands so much.
The sense of fariness is out the window and it is a free-for-all where people will take what they
want and if someone is stupid enough to let them take it, then more fool them.
And they say we evolve..???
[/quote]

Sounds like Thatcher's grandchildren are not much better than some of the previous generation. I just hope the Iron Witch's low morals and selfishness haven't infected too much of this generation. Attitude of Cameronj279 (above) can give all of us crusties hope though.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1408705938' post='2532723']
I've experienced lots of rude older people, and I have never put it down to an age thing, or a sense of entitlement due to them being older.
[/quote]

Older people being rude? I can't believe that for a second, you great big pile of poo! :D ;)

This situation has happened to me and a few mates before.
I always pack my bass away as soon as i stop playing it. But our guitarist doesnt bother.
It was a jam night and some guy who went up after us (he was in his mid 40s id say), just picked up the guitar.
Didnt ask, and didnt say thanks after. Just basic manners really isnt it?
Well our guitarist waited for them to finish playing and sit back down.
He then walked over to their table and sat down next to the guy who played his guitar, didnt introduce himself,
picked up the guys pint and started sipping it slowly. Helped himself to a few pork scratchings, finished the pint, then got up and walked back over.
They didnt say a word. We were in stitches.
It probably helped that my friend is a big lad. 6ft 3, 18 stone jobby.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1408707585' post='2532760']
This situation has happened to me and a few mates before.
I always pack my bass away as soon as i stop playing it. But our guitarist doesnt bother.
It was a jam night and some guy who went up after us (he was in his mid 40s id say), just picked up the guitar.
Didnt ask, and didnt say thanks after. Just basic manners really isnt it?
Well our guitarist waited for them to finish playing and sit back down.
He then walked over to their table and sat down next to the guy who played his guitar, didnt introduce himself,
picked up the guys pint and started sipping it slowly. Helped himself to a few pork scratchings, finished the pint, then got up and walked back over.
They didnt say a word. We were in stitches.
It probably helped that my friend is a big lad. 6ft 3, 18 stone jobby.
[/quote] :D Now that is very funny! Probably what I'd do if I had the nerve.