Why become a member? ×

What is it with some younger players?

molan

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1408703487' post='2532673']
IME this arrogance and disregard is typical of a lot of this current generation. It seems to go with a sense of "entitlement" they all seem to have.
This follows in the jobs market too. They all want great jobs from day1. Plus it [i]has [/i]to be something they will enjoy every moment of every day, or they won't do it.

I also have a step-daughter who's looking to move rented accommodation. She can't find anything she can afford, so somehow it's her Mum's responsibility to fork out the extra or house her AND the bf. Besides, they can't both go to their own respective families can they?

Or maybe that's just the ones I know?
[/quote]

LOL what nonsense!

Arrogance and disregard for others spans all ages and socio-economic strata. Same as humility and consideration for others.

i'll be honest, this isn't just young people, its people of all ages.
its not age related its just a blatent disrespect of other peoples property.

my bass comes off stage or in its bag when im not playing, i flat out refuse to let anyone near it, let alone play it (and ive been asked).

i played one tour where we had one gig with 4 bands and i was the only bassist who had any sort of amp, i was told on the night by the promoter my amp was to be used by the other bands... i informed the promoter that their pa system was capable of DI, and that the other bands would use that. another gig on that tour i walked into the room to see that another band had taken my amp from the side of the stage and set it all up to use.... and was hammering the sh*t out of it.... none of these guys were kids, and none of them had asked the promoter, let alone me if they could use it, just arrogance

i've even had guitarists try to plug into it.....

i watch my stuff like a hawk now, and don't offer it out to anyone and i am very reluctant to share with people now, id rather carry my own rig around the country than risk breaking someone elses, but i'm nice like that

Edited by RockfordStone

Well I don't think it's age / generation specific. But it does remind me of a similar experience I had.

We were booked to play a small outdoor event. At all stages running up to it we were lead to believe we were the only band and as such would need to provide our own PA, backline, lights etc. this is normal for our function band so we thought nothing of it.

Arrived to find a load of musicians hanging around. It turns out they had all been booked to play too, but they were told that PA, backline and drum kit would be provided. It quickly became apparent that WE were the ones providing them.

It also transpired that whoever was organising this thing was notably absent, nobody knew what was going on. We were shown to a corner of a marquee with a single 4-way extension lead (running across the field into a nearby pub) and two flattened cardboard boxes as a drum riser.

I was fuming to be honest. I ended up being the festival sound engineer as it was my PA!

However, I couldn't hold anything against the other bands (dreadful as they were) because they had been told everything would be provided. We eventually tracked down the individual responsible - who was quite drunk by then and basically said "well it turned out alright didn't it?" We politely cancelled all future bookings (3 at the time) with him on the spot.

Molan, it may be that the young bands had been told the same without your knowledge... Still, he should have said thanks though!

(edited typos)

Edited by brensabre79

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1408706277' post='2532731']
Never leave your bass in that situation. The op is lucky it wasn't marked/damaged.
[/quote]

It was a Fender Relic - my tech tells me that each dent and scratch increases the value :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1408702887' post='2532661']
I took a Fender Custom Shop Relic Jazz, nothing flashy so it would blend in reasonably well with the acoustic guitars and a tiny MarkBass MicroMark combo.
[/quote]

If I was in this situation and I knew I was playing a gig, I would have taken my bass with me and maybe a small combo depending on what were the arrangements.

I would not have touched that bass without asking before hand and maybe not at all. I try not to touch anything that I couldn't afford to replace and if I had to touch it, It would have been with the upmost care!

But I may be different to other 20yr olds (that aren't on this forum).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1408702887' post='2532661']

I took a Fender Custom Shop Relic Jazz, nothing flashy...
[/quote]

Just a cheapo then :)

I did lend a guitarist a lead once, but that was because he was in the same band so was sort of necessary, but that's it.
The only people who I would let touch my gear now is those I know will respect it, certainly not strangers in a bar, whether they ask or not.

.. were you hoping for a potential sale?
I remember x years ago talking to a bass player about the Warwick he was using when they had just come out, "have a go" he said.. "and by the way, we got it last week and it's for sale in the shop I work in". one bank loan later and I had thumb bass so it does happen.

Bit more background to the gig - it wasn't supposed to a be a jam night and all acts were invited and their line-up and songs confirmed in advance (partly to avoid duplication and/or repetitiveness).

I was supposed to be the only bass player there so the two guys who decided to help themselves to my bass had decided to do so on the spur of the moment.

There were no official house instruments but some of the solo singers had agreed in advance to swap acoustic guitars.

There was no setup time or soundcheck so when we arrived we went straight on to the stage area and it was very clear that I brought the bass (in a case) and set up the little amp with the sound man.

I guess I, foolishly, thought it was pretty clear that it was my kit.

If the first guy decided to play bass with his friends on the spur of the moment he could easily have walked over and asked. I was standing near the stage all evening.

I can accept the 2nd guy maybe thinking it was a house setup because he would have seen both me and the other player using it.

What I found particularly galling was that it just seemed to be the two bassists that showed such little respect to the other musicians. Plus the overplaying was particularly annoying - one song was Get Lucky which has such a nice Nathan East bass line but this guy thought he could improve on it by adding loads of unnecessary fills, runs and slides.

Given that the rest of the band was an acoustic guitar and a female singer he looked a right tit and was just embarrassing :(

The baby MicroMark was the single speaker 801 by the way. Sounded great sitting on the floor with volume about 14:00 and eq flat. Little bit of cut on the Fender tone knob and both pickups on full :)

There was some foh support as well but it certainly worked as a stage monitor really well.

Maybe those [color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]guys in the ori[/font][/color][font="Calibri, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]ginal post would simply benefit from bein[/color][/font][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]g told?! :)[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Si[/font][/color]

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1408715802' post='2532896']
Maybe those [color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]guys in the ori[/font][/color][font="Calibri, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]ginal post would simply benefit from bein[/color][/font][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]g told?! :)[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Si[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I did tell the first guy that it was my bass and amp when he failed to understand how to un-mute a tuner pedal.

Given how he didn't seem to have any interest in being a sympathetic player to the rest of his 'band' and couldn't be bothered to say thanks for letting him use my gear I didn't think he'd take any 'constructive criticism' of his playing very well :)

As others have mentioned, it is not just the young who pick up other peoples' instruments without asking first. Only time it happened to me was during a first rehearsal with a new band. Went outside to get something, came back and found the drummer strapped into my bass and cranking my amp up with an idiot grin on his moon face.

So I asked him if it was OK if I had a go on his drum kit. 'Oh no,' says he. 'I don't like other people using my gear'.

The guy in question was about 60 at the time. Clueless-ness and narcissistic entitlement is ubiquitous.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1408705768' post='2532718']
I cant believe someone would just walk over and pick up another persons bass!

I wouldn't even dream of touching another mans bass without asking.
[/quote]

This . . . . .

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1408708734' post='2532780']
Arrogance and disregard for others spans all ages and socio-economic strata. Same as humility and consideration for others.
[/quote]

. . . and that!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1408797634' post='2533554']
As others have mentioned, it is not just the young who pick up other peoples' instruments without asking first. Only time it happened to me was during a first rehearsal with a new band. Went outside to get something, came back and found the drummer strapped into my bass and cranking my amp up with an idiot grin on his moon face.

So I asked him if it was OK if I had a go on his drum kit. 'Oh no,' says he. 'I don't like other people using my gear'.

The guy in question was about 60 at the time. Clueless-ness and narcissistic entitlement is ubiquitous.
[/quote]

Kudos for asking (education by example...). Lesser mortals would have picked up the sticks and started thrashing. Good lad. I take it the band split up later on..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1408715320' post='2532888']
We don't get asked to lend our bass; it's a fretless sixer. Odd, no..? :happy:
[/quote]
Even my fretted fives keep most oiks at bay :)
I was asked at a jam a few weeks ago if someone could lend my bass at a little acoustic style jam, "yeah sure its that big violin looking thing at the back" funnily enough they declined that too, fussy buggers.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1408798257' post='2533562']
I take it the band split up later on..?
[/quote]

Indeed. It was on borrowed time from that moment forth.

That the drummer also brought his 'partner' to rehearsals; that she would offer 'objective criticism'; that they were always late to arrive and early to leave; all made their contribution to his departure.

Among other enraging acts was his airy, boastful disclosure that the major public company where he worked as a senior accountant was engaged in a substantial tax evasion scheme of his authorship and which also involved the redirection of public PFI funds.

So I dobbed him in to HMRC.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1408704674' post='2532693']
I dunno if their age has anything to do with it, they just sound like a couple of tossers to me... I'd imagine they will still be tossers when they are middleaged.
[/quote]

Probably more realistic Rob. I`ve found, playing with a few named bands recently, that the "names" are really polite and happy to say thanks if you let them use your gear, and have a good natter about it it as well, yet the ones further down on the playlist who aren`t names aren`t always so forthcoming.