Why become a member? ×

What is it with some younger players?

molan

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1408704566' post='2532689']
Not really surprised as we seem to be breeding a society that expects and demands so much.
The sense of fariness is out the window and it is a free-for-all where people will take what they
want and if someone is stupid enough to let them take it, then more fool them.
And they say we evolve..???
[/quote]
Sadly this often appears to be the case.

I remember struggling as a child...we were dirt poor like all other working class people were, I wore "hand me downs" with patches on the knees and elbows of my clothes. We used to wake up during the winter with ice on the inside of our windows as we had no heating.

This generation don't know hunger.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1408811090' post='2533743']

I remember struggling as a child...we were dirt poor like all other working class people were, I wore "hand me downs" with patches on the knees and elbows of my clothes. We used to wake up during the winter with ice on the inside of our windows as we had no heating.

[/quote]
Your eyes and ears are closed if you think that doesn't happen now, all over the uk.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1408811090' post='2533743']

[/quote]

Eeee....that's nothing! we lived in paper bag in middle of t'road, every morning Father used to make us lick t'road clean! ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1408811966' post='2533755']
Your eyes and ears are closed if you think that doesn't happen now, all over the uk.
[/quote]
I am sure it happens now to an extent in all areas of the UK...but many of the people living near me on benefits own Ipads and iphones.

I wish I could afford one of those

Like most of the other posts in this thread, this is a huge generalisation, but....
In the 2 years that I have been going to open mics and jams, I have really enjoyed meeting some of the younger musicians. They seem so full of enthusiasm and energy. They get up there and bound about like Tigger, even if they are playing to one man and his dog. And it seems the cynicism hasn't set in with a lot of them. I've met some really charming young people.
And some of them are so bloody good it puts me to shame. Some of them are useless, but it doesn't seem to dampen their enthusiasm.
Also (another generalisation but..) I've noticed some of the useless youngsters gradually improving. Whereas the useless oldsters tend to stay useless.

:-)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1408819010' post='2533842']
I have really enjoyed meeting some of the younger musicians. They seem so full of enthusiasm and energy.
[/quote]

:D You're not softening us up for some cradle-snatching revelations, are you?? *Jealous*

Whereas the useless oldsters tend to stay useless.

:-)
[/quote]

Bugger, you noticed? It's because my arthritic fingers can only just crawl around the strings on anything under 90bpm. Anything more up-tempo and I need a lie down

But at least I try to be polite when I'm useless on someone else's bass....

Bleedin' kids....

In the 2 years that I have been going to open mics and jams, I have really enjoyed meeting some of the younger musicians. They seem so full of enthusiasm and energy. They get up there and bound about like Tigger, even if they are playing to one man and his dog.
[/quote]

The young have a monopoly neither on graceless bass-swiping nor on energetic enthusiasm.

On stage I am Tigger personified, creaking knees notwithstanding. By contrast, on BassChat I am Eeyore to my fingertips and feel every one of my 56 years.

It's a matter of environment, I suppose. :(

I think a lot of people wrongly assume kit share is automatically somehow magically sorted by the promoter or venue which can lead to misunderstandings. I too agree it isn't an age thing. A young idiot probably won't suddenly grow into a wise old sage!

The last two idiot bass players I met were both (coincidentally) mid 30s; the last one was a guy who came up to tell me how much he loved my bass and tone until he realised I had a Squier and not a Fender so promptly started doing a u-turn on how it wasn't quite cutting it and selling me short. The one before that kindly lent me her upright bass and then afterwards approached my singer right in front of me and said she'd dep for me as she was better! She'd been drinking and I have to say having watched her set I actually didn't agree she was a better player. I think it all comes with the territory and the reality is I've met a bunch of cool players too.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1408867781' post='2534091']
............ The one before that kindly lent me her upright bass and then afterwards approached my singer right in front of me and said she'd dep for me as she was better! She'd been drinking and I have to say having watched her set I actually didn't agree she was a better player..............
[/quote]

How rude of her!! :o[size=4] [/size][size=4] If she'd said that to me I'm quite sensitive (even though I know I'm not very good!) and it would have probably upset me so much I'd have given up playing [/size] :unsure:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1408824909' post='2533891']
Yeh, I'm trying to get myself a young toyboy of about 45 :D
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408828656' post='2533950']
Well that's me out - too old! :(
[/quote]

And me. This getting old lark is just no fun anymore :angry:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1408824909' post='2533891']
Yeh, I'm trying to get myself a young toyboy of about 45 :D
[/quote]

What exactly counts as 'about'..? Give or take 20 years..? :happy:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]([i]No, I didn't think so, but it was worth trying[/i]... :blush: )[/size]

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1408867781' post='2534091']
I think a lot of people wrongly assume kit share is automatically somehow magically sorted by the promoter or venue which can lead to misunderstandings. I too agree it isn't an age thing. A young idiot probably won't suddenly grow into a wise old sage!

The last two idiot bass players I met were both (coincidentally) mid 30s; the last one was a guy who came up to tell me how much he loved my bass and tone until he realised I had a Squier and not a Fender so promptly started doing a u-turn on how it wasn't quite cutting it and selling me short. The one before that kindly lent me her upright bass and then afterwards approached my singer right in front of me and said she'd dep for me as she was better! She'd been drinking and I have to say having watched her set I actually didn't agree she was a better player. I think it all comes with the territory and the reality is I've met a bunch of cool players too.
[/quote]

She'd have to have had said bass surgically removed 😊.

Why can't people just be nice to one another ?

Mind you it's not just gigs is it ? You see it on here too sometimes 😊

id have walked up and gone sorry mate thats my bass and amp, if you dnt ask you dnt get to use!

have been on gigs where peeps have just assumed they can use my full rig and sadly it was a youngster, when i said no they looked at me like i was being a idiot, dnt see why i should let them everything they need to play! if its been agreed before or they are sound and ask i will lend my amp cab etc but if you turn up with out a bass im sorry your not playing! if something goes wrong and i can help mid gig thats a bit dif! ive helped a guy out when his bass died and i lent him my bass and quickly stuck a capo on it, and he got me a beer and said a very heart felt thanks after there set!

andy