Why become a member? ×

What is it with some younger players?

molan

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1408884782' post='2534289']...
Mind you it's not just gigs is it ? You see it on here too sometimes
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408885792' post='2534301']
No you don't, you risible mammothrept! ;)
[/quote]

( ... [i]Throbbing sound increases rapidly, blue flashing lights reflect from the walls through the un-curtained windows. A Tannoy voice bellows from above [/i]....)

[size=5]Oi, you two..! You will immediately cease this bickering and return to your mundane occupations. There will be no further warning...[/size]

[attachment=170002:Blac_Heli.jpg]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1408886227' post='2534304']
( ... [i]Throbbing sound increases rapidly, blue flashing lights reflect from the walls through the un-curtained windows. A Tannoy voice bellows from above [/i]....)
[/quote]

Did anyone else here that or was it just me? Anyway, the Missus just asked what I was reading on BC.

"Thread about people using other peoples' basses without asking...' I replied.

'Ha! They're always talking about that, aren't they? They get [i]so[/i] angry. Mind you,' she added, her brow darkening 'If someone just walked up and started using my sewing machine I'd lure them to a derelict factory and shoot them in the face.'

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1408707585' post='2532760']
This situation has happened to me and a few mates before.
I always pack my bass away as soon as i stop playing it. But our guitarist doesnt bother.
It was a jam night and some guy who went up after us (he was in his mid 40s id say), just picked up the guitar.
Didnt ask, and didnt say thanks after. Just basic manners really isnt it?
Well our guitarist waited for them to finish playing and sit back down.
He then walked over to their table and sat down next to the guy who played his guitar, didnt introduce himself,
picked up the guys pint and started sipping it slowly. Helped himself to a few pork scratchings, finished the pint, then got up and walked back over.
They didnt say a word. We were in stitches.
It probably helped that my friend is a big lad. 6ft 3, 18 stone jobby.
[/quote]

:lol: brilliant!

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1408906891' post='2534525']
'Ha! They're always talking about that, aren't they? They get [i]so[/i] angry. Mind you,' she added, her brow darkening 'If someone just walked up and started using my sewing machine I'd lure them to a derelict factory and shoot them in the face.'
[/quote]

:lol:

Have played with hundreds upon hundreds of bands and it's just people.

Experienced all sorts, from young entitled kids wanting my bass to the old and wise knob fiddling my amp. Neither fully realising their ass hattery. At the same time we've met some great people.

We just remind our selves that this bedroom wannabes aren't going to make it very far at all regardless of how good or bad they maybe, and it's down to their poor attitude.

It's my favourite way to get a free night's out.
Walk in to a venue with some promising bands on the poster, carrying my backup rig.
Set up on stage, find the bass players and talk them in to using it in exchange for free access to the backstage fridge.
😊

I experienced some really bad and embarrassing (as far as the sound guys go) stage manners from a mature man I played alongside with recently

Over playing at small gigs can be done by all ages, and is subjective, someone else might dig it

Borrow a bass and amp without asking is rude, but I'd wonder why these guys assumed it was ok, perhaps someone else told them "gear provided" in which case it excuses them a little (not a lot) and puts an organiser or other person on the list of people to have word with for next time.

Glad your bass is ok, and well done for show restraint and allowing the show to continue

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1408971306' post='2535022']
do you think mark bass or someone could be convinced to put a switch on their amps to disengage the EQ and put a hard limiter on so that amps used this way wouldn't be damaged at all? the idiot switch....
[/quote]

IIRC BCer Tayste had Matamp add a switch to his GT200 which would instantly bring back his preferred settings, no matter what the borrower had dialled in

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1408971306' post='2535022']
do you think mark bass or someone could be convinced to put a switch on their amps to disengage the EQ and put a hard limiter on so that amps used this way wouldn't be damaged at all? the idiot switch....
[/quote]
Or maybe even a Tuner mute...?!

Remember now when I was back up int'Yorkshire..we played a Wedding at a Wedding venue near Halifax. As we finished 4 merry guests came up to us and asked if they could use our instruments. I asked the guy who wanted to play my Bass if I could have his car keys. He asked why, I explained if he damaged my gear I would need to have a surety for compensation. He obviously thought I was being arsey ( which I was a bit!) and said forget it. As we packed away one of the other guests told us that was the drummer and bassist from Embrace and their mates...!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1408991197' post='2535313']
Remember now when I was back up int'Yorkshire..we played a Wedding at a Wedding venue near Halifax. As we finished 4 merry guests came up to us and asked if they could use our instruments. I asked the guy who wanted to play my Bass if I could have his car keys. He asked why, I explained if he damaged my gear I would need to have a surety for compensation. He obviously thought I was being arsey ( which I was a bit!) and said forget it. As we packed away one of the other guests told us that was the drummer and bassist from Embrace and their mates...!
[/quote]
Shouldn't make much difference - would he let you use his gear . Most known 'pros' , know less about how to use gear than your average weekend warrior , I reckon . Point in case is Norman Watt Roy , who everyone still insists is a diamond geezer (and he may well be) , even when there's countless tales of him using the support band's rig , and half breaking something - with no talk of paying for it .

It's got diddly squat to do with the "current generation", age, or any other rose-tinted explanations. The first fella was a plonker (we have plonkers of all ages), the second guy most likely witnessed what happened the first time and assumed that it that was the accepted dynamic for that particular event. They might have both had ginger hair or worked as lifeguards, are we to assume that the same is typical of those demographics also?

I've played hundreds of gigs with players of all ages, most often of my own generation (for reference, I'm 22, been gigging for 6 years now) and I've found almost all of my fellow bass players to be wholly respectful people, and I've certainly observed no tangible case for the connection made in the OP. In fact, the worst case I remember of an individual being disrespectful towards my gear was a bloke who must have been at least fifty who showed no gratitude for being lent my amp (and my band's PA) while being particularly childish about me not wanting him to play my bass (he had his own, and he wouldn't have been touching mine even if he didn't), offering inaccurate and condescending advice about how to play (having not heard me play yet) and complaining about rubbish no-name brands while he tried to connect the speaker cable from my Barefaced S12 to the XLR out on my GB Shuttle.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1408998615' post='2535439']
Dont you just love a load of pissed up guests telling you how good there mate is and you should let them play!
[/quote]

I had a long pub gig/jam a couple of weeks ago where the guitarist had discovered that one of the bar staff played bass and wanted to get her up for a tune or two, using my bass. They asked first, she turned out to be a good player (recently graduated from a music degree, so probably better than me!) and I got a welcome break with which to grab a pint from the bar tab. So it [i]can[/i] work in some circumstances!