Why become a member? ×

MB blackline 250 v gk mb200 v fender rumble 200

lefrash

What do you think? I've got a credit note to replace my ampeg pf350. My main cab is a reasonably sensitive 300w @ 4ohm. I want something really transparent and that i can use as pretty much a power amp. Doesnt need to be major loud.

These 3 are in my price bracket from the shop I have a credit note.... what do you reckon?

Yeah I think that might be my choice. Saying that, the MB seems to be pretty large compared to the other 2, based on a few quick youtube watches. I never mentioned that in the first post, but Ideally it would fit snuggly into the frontcompartment of my case, not too sure whether the MB would!

I suppose some actual investigation would be in order!

None of those three will be better than PF-350. The sound will be different, sure, but do you want something different (and why) or better?
If you want staight-up power amp pug into effects return of your amp. But you'll need something to control the volume :)

[quote name='mazdah' timestamp='1408954866' post='2534776']
None of those three will be better than PF-350. The sound will be different, sure, but do you want something different (and why) or better?
If you want staight-up power amp pug into effects return of your amp. But you'll need something to control the volume :)
[/quote]

I presume the PF350 had a fault/died which is why the OP has a credit note - maybe his confidence in the Ampeg isn't that great any more and he's looking for a more reliable alternative?

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1408911982' post='2534575']
My exprience is that the GK200mb ran out of headroom quickly, unlike the GK500. I cannot comment on the rest.
[/quote]
I agree about the GKL 200, based only on trying it through my BF Midget at last year's SE Bass Bash. Small enough to fit in your [u]coat[/u] pocket though!

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1408956083' post='2534793']

I presume the PF350 had a fault/died which is why the OP has a credit note - maybe his confidence in the Ampeg isn't that great any more and he's looking for a more reliable alternative?
[/quote]

That's it in a nutshell. I appreciate all of my alternatives are 'budget' amps, but it does seem the pf range has an unusually high failure rate and I'm tempted to down a different route.

I was tempted with the gk, but perhaps its just that wee bit underpowered... Must say though alot of folk outhere in internet land say that it has alot of balls. Can't find any failure stories either, which would fill me with confidence! Anyways, I've went for the markbass, as it seems to be just that bit more powerful and can't find many horror stories either.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1408958889' post='2534831']
I've went for the markbass, as it seems to be just that bit more powerful and can't find many horror stories either.
[/quote]

Markbass are very reliable amps. It will be transparent, too. I found I needed a preamp with mine to get the sound I wanted.

I've had the older LM250 and currently have an MB200. I think the preamp on the Markbass is a little more versatile, as the MB200 has it's own sound which you'll either like or not - it can be dialled close to flat but you won't have a lot of range left on the EQ beyond that. Also the MB200 lacks a 1/4" line input so might not be the ideal choice for use as a power amp. The small size of the MB200 is attractive, it feels like a physically robust package with those roll bars on the front, and it does sound good, so either could be a valid choice.

I have used the Gallien Krueger MB200 along with a 15" speaker for some time. I also have played a few TC Electronic amps, but I prefer the MB200 for the sound and size. Great tone, and for even more power I'm thinking of daisychaining the 15" with 2x12"

Not sure that markbass & reliability isn't an oxymoron as my MBLMII promptly shut itself down in 2007. 2 weeks after the warranty expired, 4 weeks prior 2 an overseas move so it's still in storage waiting 2 b repaired n then very promptly sold. Great sound, iffy reliability. Caveat emptor so Chinese MB or US GK? GK by a light year. My 2c.

Just a wee update on the markbass blackline. I must say I'm first of all blown away at the clean volume available on this thing. I had it roughly at 10 oclock on master and 10 oclock on gain and it was ample volume for rehearsal tonight. Its extremely light, and although its a bit bulkier than the pf350 it still fits nicely into the front pouch of my case.

Lets hope this time next year I'm feelin the same!