Why become a member? ×

Introducing myself and a Barefaced G3 question (Baby vs Midget w/ a Compact)

Guest monsterthompson

Guest monsterthompson

This is my first post on Basschat, so hello to everyone :)

I joined because i'm a US user of a G3 Barefaced Super Compact, and my access to the cabs is limited. I feel I've tapped the resources of Talkbass, and I think folks here have more familiarity with the product line based on the searches I've done. I'm looking to pair my Compact with a Midget or a Big Baby, and I'd like some feedback from those who have had a chance to try the various combinations. I have emailed Alex a few times, and I'm looking for user experiences.

For background, I'm running the following gear:
Nash PB 63
Nash JB 63
Mesa Buster
Genz Shuttle 9.0
Diamond BCP1
TC Corona Chorus
MXR Envelope Filter
Way Huge Pork Loin

I'm not in a band now, though I'm looking. I do jam with old mates doing indi-rock stuff. I like playing blues, classic rock, country, metal, punk (mostly Misfits), and industrial. I play finger-style (no slap/pop).

The Super Compact is probably too heavy a hitter for a "practice" cab, but I like it. I do wish it had a bit more sparkle for practice (though I'm sure it would be lost in a band setting). I find it a bit boxy in the mids with the Shuttle flat, but the para EQ gets me a good sound with a little tweaking (that is why the knobs turn, right?). The Mesa Buster loves the Compact.

I like the cute-factor of the Midget, but I wonder if the crossover of the Baby is more useful for blending it with the Compact.

I think the output of the Midget might lend itself to a better "practice volume" cab, though I think the Baby could be a better choice than the Midget as a stand alone because it seems like it has more power to fine tune the sound.

I see several fans of the Compact/Midget combo in the searches I've done. The small form factor and the lower price is attractive.

As you can probably tell, I'm on the fence between the two and I don't have a solid reason to buy one or the other. I'm hoping someone here will have a story which will sway me.

Thanks!

My only experience with BF cabs is having a Compact/Midget set-up. I found the Compact on its own a bit too warm and smooth, and the Midget on its own a bit too aggressive with less bottom end than I would like. But together they were great, each cabs strengths complimenting the others. BF made the two to pair with each other and I think they were spot on. Alex also is great at recommending the right product based on description of sound. My only downer was that at the time I didn`t need the extra high-end that the tweeter in the Midget provides, whereas later on I did, so I`d recommend, if possible, get whatever cab with a tweeter.

A lot of the Compact/Midget pairs are the Gen 2 cabs, I'm not aware of anyone running the Gen 3 Compact and Gen 3 Midget together I'n afraid.

I run two Super Compacts with my Ashdown CTM100 valve head and it's heavenly :) Never liked tweeters tho...

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1408795857' post='2533531']
A lot of the Compact/Midget pairs are the Gen 2 cabs, I'm not aware of anyone running the Gen 3 Compact and Gen 3 Midget together I'n afraid.

I run two Super Compacts with my Ashdown CTM100 valve head and it's heavenly :) Never liked tweeters tho...
[/quote]

I had a feeling a fair amount of the pairings were pre G3, based on the post dates in the searches I did. I had been playing Fearful/Fearless cabs for a while, and a Mesa PH115, so the switch to the tweeter less Compact took a bit of adjustment, but nothing terrible.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1408754203' post='2533305']
This is my first post on Basschat, so hello to everyone :)

I joined because i'm a US user of a G3 Barefaced Super Compact, and my access to the cabs is limited. I feel I've tapped the resources of Talkbass, and I think folks here have more familiarity with the product line based on the searches I've done. I'm looking to pair my Compact with a Midget or a Big Baby, and I'd like some feedback from those who have had a chance to try the various combinations. I[b][u] have emailed Alex a few times, and I'm looking for user experiences.[/u][/b]

[/quote]
[quote name='41.2Hz' timestamp='1408982481' post='2535203']
Have you tried contacting Alex at Barefaced? He seems to be quite happy to respond to this type of query.
[/quote]
Indeed I have

• 2 weeks later...

You won't regret it. I have a Midget that I bought in, I think, 2009 and I still love it and find it very very useful for pub gigs and any small to medium venue.

I see in your first post that you thought the Midget might be a practice amp. No way, the volume from these with surprise you.

I prefer my Compact when using only one cab but the Midget is great when space is tight and as a pair - fantastic. :)

The only reason I would sell my barefaced cabs would be to buy the G3 barefaced cabs.

Frank.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1409784323' post='2543444']
You won't regret it. I have a Midget that I bought in, I think, 2009 and I still love it and find it very very useful for pub gigs and any small to medium venue.

I see in your first post that you thought the Midget might be a practice amp. No way, the volume from these with surprise you.

I prefer my Compact when using only one cab but the Midget is great when space is tight and as a pair - fantastic. :)

The only reason I would sell my barefaced cabs would be to buy the G3 barefaced cabs.

Frank.
[/quote] I think you my first post mislead you. I don't think the Midget is a practice amp. I did say that it might do better at that volume level than the Compact. That is based on my experience with the Compact being a little dark at lower volume; it certainly brightens up as the volume and watts get pushed. Alex had mentioned the Midget would have a little more thump to it, and I'm assuming the tweeter will add some extra brightness. I'm running a G3 Compact and getting the G3 Midget. He assured me that the G2 and G1 Midgets and Compacts were such different animals, trying to compare/contrast prior versions wasn't a useful exercise. I'm looking forward to having the pair to run as a combo or alone.